Need Airline Help - Advice to Barcelona - Epic Cruise

Bobkat26

Hello All,

I need some help. We are going on the Epic out of Barcelona on Nov. 22nd. We have already gotten an apt in Barcelona, but now we are looking at flights. We want to fly out of Atlanta on the 18th at 9:30pm. It says we will have an hour and half at Charles DeGulle before boarding a second flight to Barcelona. We have never flown International and I have no idea if 1.5 hours between flights will be enough time. We are light packers so we will only have 2 bags that we are checking.

Also if anyone has experience with Air France Premium Economy that would be great to hear about.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

A 90-minute connection at CDG is do-able, but it can be a confusing airport to navigate, as its layout is quite odd and the gate numbering and letters are weird. I suggest looking at the terminals for the arrival and departure and getting a sense to plan the transfer efficiently (e.g., we need to go from Terminal 2E to 2F). The easyCDG website has some pretty good terminal maps to assist.

Back to your question, if it was me, I personally would try for a longer connection (FYI, I just did this recently arriving from Detroit and connecting to Lisbon). You eliminate any risk if the overnight flight arrives late and you can spend some time grabbing breakfast or shopping at the airport.

Not sure what later flight options are available, but I think the flights to BCN run pretty regularly throughout the day.

Porterhouse248, thank you thats what I was thinking too. We are not on a set schedule as we are coming in three days early and I don't mind checking out a new airport.

THanks again.

Kathy

I certainly wouldn't want to be replying on such a short connection at CDG, especially if you are coming in from a long haul flight, where the chances of delay are relatively high.

You will need to go through security etc, and I've spent 15-20 minutes just taxiing there. You would probably be ok, but there is lots of potential for problems.

I agree with the other posters. 1 1/2 hours is doable, but might be stressful if you never have flown to that airport. Try to give yourself some time, take a walk around, and maybe enjoy a meal or snack in the airport. You will be in France!

I am glad you are spending some time in Barcelona. I love that city.

You are thinking and planning around what your body does in getting from A to B.

But what about your baggage - is that posing problems ? Is it checked thru

to the final destination ? - But wait do you have to reclaim it at some point

to clear any customs ? Having an hour for you to transit the airport but your

baggage needs assistance is an hour enough ?

International flights scare the dickens out of me if there is no adequate cushion

for delays and other mayhem like AF workers slow down work stoppage.

You are flying from Atlanta to Paris to Barcelona - must be on some code share

flight with Delta and Air France. Was there an option to fly non-stop to Barcelona ?

Or was this a less expensive routing ?

Working with a travel agent ?

Other routings via Atlanta to New York to Barcelona ?

Possible to fly to Madrid and then Barcelona ?

Check them all out to see if there is something better !

I forgot to mention that my wife and I have flown on Air France to Valencia, Spain through Paris a couple of times when pass riding, and the service was great. The connection was a little over an hour each time and it was a piece of cake. You shouldn't have a problem. I know the pucker-factor is high for people who've never traveled internationally before. There are plenty of people at the airport who can help you if you have questions.

You won't clear customs in France when you're connecting to another flight. You'll clear in Barcelona.
And even then, clearing customs usually means finding the green door (nothing to declare) and walking out of it. Unless you have something to declare.

I agree with Carnac767, 1.5 hours is fine at CDG, so unless a later flight is a lot cheaper or something, I wouldn't bother changing it. If you were flying in on the day of the cruise, I'd be nervous (mostly for the luggage), but with 3 days pre-cruise in Barcelona, you have plenty of margin for mishaps.

Thank you everyone for responding. this is why I love CC.

We are looking at direct flights, but right now they are pricey, so we are probley going to connect somewhere. We are open to flying really any airline as long as its somewhat comfortable (no plane is really :(

I have never flown that far, the most has been 6 hours but I am really excited to go on the Epic and really excited to spend three days in Barcelona.

Kathy

Barcelona is a great city and having three days to explore will be a treat for you. If you haven't already, check the ports of call forum of CC for the Barcelona section. You'll find lots of good information there.

We are looking at direct flights, but right now they are pricey, so we are probley going to connect somewhere. We are open to flying really any airline as long as its somewhat comfortable (no plane is really :(

I have never flown that far, the most has been 6 hours but I am really excited to go on the Epic and really excited to spend three days in Barcelona.

Kathy

Not sure I can add much to the info already posted, but since we're a Cathy and Bob too, I had to reply! ;)

I have only traveled internationally twice (third time will be later this month), but learned one thing. When you return to the states, you clear customs in the first place you stop. We had a 1:30 layover in NYC... it took roughly 1:10 to get our bags. That left :20 to clear customs, recheck baggage, and make our flight. They actually held the doors open for us as we ran to the gate -- I have no idea how they knew we were on the way. Because we were in the bowels of the ariport, we had no cell service so couldn't even call or check the Net to see flight details. I was a NERVOUS WRECK! So, my advice would be, make sure you have a little more time on your layover coming home. Our bags didn't make it home that night, but were delivered three days later.

I don't recall the same craziness on our way TO Italy in 2013.

Our upcoming trip (from Orlando, to Newark, to Barcelona) will be another test. We only have 1 hour in Newark, but we're going to attempt it all with just two carryons, so luggage shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise. If your experience is anything like ours, you'll LOVE Europeans!

Kathy

Not sure I can add much to the info already posted, but since we're a Cathy and Bob too, I had to reply! ;)

I have only traveled internationally twice (third time will be later this month), but learned one thing. When you return to the states, you clear customs in the first place you stop. We had a 1:30 layover in NYC... it took roughly 1:10 to get our bags. That left :20 to clear customs, recheck baggage, and make our flight. They actually held the doors open for us as we ran to the gate -- I have no idea how they knew we were on the way. Because we were in the bowels of the ariport, we had no cell service so couldn't even call or check the Net to see flight details. I was a NERVOUS WRECK! So, my advice would be, make sure you have a little more time on your layover coming home. Our bags didn't make it home that night, but were delivered three days later.

Our upcoming trip (from Orlando, to Newark, to Barcelona) will be another test. We only have 1 hour in Newark, but we're going to attempt it all with just two carryons, so luggage shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise. If your experience is anything like ours, you'll LOVE Europeans!

Kathy

LOL Catdid, I would have replied too for that reason.:D

Quick question. Has anyone done the premium economy on Air France and is it worth the extra money? My husband can fall asleep on a Rock, myself on the other hand, besides being a nervous flier I need a bit more comfort and unfortunately I cannot afford the seats that make into a bed:rolleyes:

thanks everyone again!

Kathy