Best month for whales, waterfalls?

Janespup

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip on NCL POA for next year. I am wondering which months are best for whale sightings, waterfalls, weather and beaches, in that order. Thanks for any input!

Whales usually arrive in December and depart by late April ... but it's a gradual process, so they are at their peak in January and February ... March would be a good month too.

Waterfalls come with rain and that can be anytime, but I think winter months (November through March) normally have more rain (there have been a lot of comments on the Hawaii Tripadvisor forums about poor weather during the past month or two.)

The ocean temperature doesn't vary a lot throughout the year (because air temperatures are fairly consistent) but enough to be noticeable ... e.g. mid 70F's in winter months and 80F or more by August, September, October.

To sum up ... February for whales, May through October for warmer air and ocean temps. If you go in mid April, you'll still see a few whales and weather might be better than it will be in February.

Most whale watch vendors shut down the first week of April, so very few whales in April. Far better in mid December (although they are arriving earlier as there are greater numbers of whales) thru later March.

Mountain tops in Hawaii can catch rain almost year around. So water falls go pretty steady.

The whales this year arrived in October, though my understanding is they arrive in November more typically. And through April. That also coincides with the winter "wet" season, as well as big wave season for the north and west shores. Best beach season is summer months, which is a dryer season, and more likely to have safer waters for swimming. The best months for whales are definitely the worst months for the beach (as a beach addict, who lives on Oahu and has been frustrated with the non-beach weather since the new year.)

I agree that April may be you best bet if you're looking for both whales and good beach weather.

~Katy

I have to disagree about weather being the same year round. Each island is a little different but on Oahu in the winter there are days when the temperature doesn't go above 70 and it rains off and on. Definitely not beach weather. Summer is dryer, so less likely to have a rainy day ruin your plans. And its always warm enough to swim. Rain ruins plans pretty often in the winter, at least on Oahu.

~Katy