red october vs. denrus

We are two couples on the Norweigan Dream and will be in St. Petersberg on July 5-6. I have received quotes from both these companies and want to know your experience with them. Also, are their prices negotiable.

jayro

Hi,

Six of us used Red October last August. It was a wonderful experience -- we even had lunch with a Russian family. They were able to get us into two of the palaces which were closed on the two days we were there. If you want a cheaper price, just pick up another couple on this website or on other websites. You get what you pay for. Remember, you might never get back there to see all the sights. I will be fortunate to get back there next year for my third trip to St. Petersburg in 13 years.

My family of four will be in St. Petersburg on the Ms. Prisendam on Mon 7/5 and Tues 7/6. We have also received a quote from Red October and would be interested in sharing a tour. In fact, I heard from another couple today who are also interested in sharing. The price they quoted for 10 people would be much cheaper. Would you be interested in sharing a tour?

We found the sample itineraries and prices from Red October and Denrus to be quite similar.

When we wanted to make some minor changes in the itinerary, RO was very accommodating, and didn't change the price at all. Denrus became quite unpleasant, bordering on the snippy, and raised the price significantly.

We had two wonderful days with RO last July, and I would recommend them highly.

The lunch with a Russian family didn't appeal to us--it sounded sort of staged, and knowing ourselves, we'd feel awkward; plus we'd need to spend longer at lunch than we wanted. When RO met us at the ship the first morning, they gave us the menus for the two restaurants. We asked if two of us could slpit a lunch, as we don't generally eat a large lunch. Again, they were very accommodating, and sharing lunch was just the right amount of food for us.

• 2 weeks later...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jayro:
We are two couples on the Norweigan Dream and will be in St. Petersberg on July 5-6. I have received quotes from both these companies and want to know your experience with them. Also, are their prices negotiable.

jayro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is a good way to contact these companies? I sent an e-mail Thursday and still have not heard from them. Is that normal, or do you have good current contact info for either company? I'll be on the Grand Princess departing 7-28.

Dlutz,

I am booked with Denrus for the Grand on the cruise after yours. My contact is Ilya and his e-mail is [email]sia@denrus.ru[/email]

I had been corresponding with him and after a few weeks I suddenly stopped getting responses and paniced. Then I sent another e-mail from my office (rather than home) and got an immediate response. I could almosyt "hear" the relief in his voice - for reasons that I still can't figure out, my home e-mail started rejecting the e-mails from DenRus. So, if you haven't gotten a response and you have a different e-mail address available, try it.

Anyway, I loved the itinerary they set up for us (based on what we wanted to see). I have e-mailed him a series of "stupid questions" and he has responded virtually immediately. If the tour is anywhere near as good as the pre-cruise service has been, it will be outstanding. Take good care of the Grand for us!
Gail

Leaving Sunday for our cruise. We have a tour booked with Denrus and have been very pleased with their service so far. I made several changes to their original itinerary and they were great about it and there was hardly any price change. I will write a review when I return.

Archived