Berlin - which tour is best?

thespian

I hope someone can help with our dilemma! We are sailing on the Eclipse on the 8th August this summer and we are trying to decide on the tours to book. There are two tours in Berlin which sound good and as they are both £156 then cost can't be deciding factor. We are leaning towards the one with a river cruise as opposed to the 20th century experience but I wanted to know if this trip included sites such as the Brandenburg Gate etc. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

We did the baltic cruise 2 years ago. We used Alla tours they were fantastic. There is also another private tour company I think it is PJP tours- I am not sure on its exact name. Berlin is a couple hours each way from the cruise port so that makes for a long travel day. You can get to Berlin by motor coach or train. Train is a bit faster. Our tour took us through the city saw checkpoint charlie, Brandenberg gates, the wall, and a Holocaust museum. I felt it was worth the travel time. Drove through the city and had a nice lunch. I would advise you to look on your cruise connections and see what folks are on your cruise are doing and it will help you make a decision or possibly find someone to share a private tour with. The only downfall of a tour to Berlin from a cruise ship is the actual distance away. The drive back after a long day of touring seemed to take forever.

There were 4 of us and one was 93 years old. We chose SPB tour because you can choose the number of people you wish to tour with. SPB tours was wonderful.

Thank you for the heads up for SPB, we are booked on them for St Petersburg.

We are on the previous cruise (25th July) I don't find our Roll Call very active, July 11th is more so, which I have been reading to get ideas. In fact I 'picked their brains' before I booked SP B.

We have decided not to go to Berlin, as I have read that the travel time is 3 hrs each way. We will go to Rostock from Warmunde instead, which I am told is a pretty university town.

Follow this link for details of a Berlin tour:

http://www.thepreismans.com/baltic_2013.htm

Edited by upwarduk

I wouldn´t go to Berlin on a port day at all. It is a 3 hrs travel time each direction so you don´t really have time to see even very little of all Berlin has to offer. I see you are from the UK - why not do a city trip to Berlin separate from your cruise? I suppose you dock in Warnemünde. Warnemünde itself, nearby Rostock, Stralsund, Schwerin and Wismar are places which have a lot to offer and you don´t have the hassle of a Berlin tour with such little time.

For people coming from overseas like the US it may be different if they assume they wouldn´t have a chance to come to Germany again.

If you go to Berlin I would suggest you take the tour with the river cruise as the river cruise has some perspectives you only get from the water.

We have decided not to go to Berlin, as I have read that the travel time is 3 hrs each way. We will go to Rostock from Warmunde instead, which I am told is a pretty university town.

Rostock is a very pretty medieval city and in the same time very young because it has the university. There is a City Train ("S-Bahn") which runs frequently from Warnemünde to Rostock.

Warnemünde itself is an old fisherman´s village which is now a part of the City of Rostock and a very charming place to have a walk or spend a day at the beach.

Last May, we flew into Berlin and spent 2 nights before heading back to Amsterdam for the cruise. Then on the "Berlin" port day, we toured Warnemunde and Rostock with a private guide. Best decision that we ever made! Spending 2 days in Berlin allowed us to see so much, and at a leisurely pace. The difference in airfare was not too much.;)

I wouldn´t go to Berlin on a port day at all. It is a 3 hrs travel time each direction so you don´t really have time to see even very little of all Berlin has to offer. I see you are from the UK - why not do a city trip to Berlin separate from your cruise? I suppose you dock in Warnemünde. Warnemünde itself, nearby Rostock, Stralsund, Schwerin and Wismar are places which have a lot to offer and you don´t have the hassle of a Berlin tour with such little time.

For people coming from overseas like the US it may be different if they assume they wouldn´t have a chance to come to Germany again.

If you go to Berlin I would suggest you take the tour with the river cruise as the river cruise has some perspectives you only get from the water.

Thank you for your advice. I have looked at the price for a mini-break in Berlin and it works out as not much more than the day trip from the ship! We have decided to go for a mini-break in Berlin instead. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iamthesea.Just read your post.Very helpful as we are thinking of doing the Scandinavia cruise august 2016 on Silhouette.If you have anymore helpful info, please post it.Thank you Oscas4

Thank you so much Sworrubi. Had a quick look.Will sit down tomorrow and have a good read. Looks like a lot of info for our trip. Go the kiwis in the cricket. Oscar4

We had a great time, the weather obviously helped, as you can see from the pics,but it was a great trip anyway!

Getting out on the metro in SPberg was a fantastic experience

Have a great time if you do go, if you need anymore info please ask!

Keith (Sworrub1):)

PS we dont talk about Cricket in England!

Edited by SWORRUB1
Rubbish spelling! again! (D- Sworrub1)

Having made the mistake of taking the Berlin tour two years ago, let me chime in with those who say go to Rostock or stay around the port. The bus ride is 3 hours each way, leaving little time to do anything but a cursory visit to key sites, some you just see from the bus! My advice is to save Berlin for a land visit.

Rostock is a very pretty medieval city and in the same time very young because it has the university. There is a City Train ("S-Bahn") which runs frequently from Warnemünde to Rostock.

Warnemünde itself is an old fisherman´s village which is now a part of the City of Rostock and a very charming place to have a walk or spend a day at the beach.

Antje G:

You are so correct in your two postings.

We went to Rostock, did a pub tour, (Even got a beer mug from the tour) and, the university, and, in general, Rostock was only about :20 minutes from the port. When we returned, we had plenty of time to visit Warnemunde.What a spectacular little German town, seaside village, and, the people there were so delightful. I would take that cruise again just to get to visit Rostock and, Warnemunde. I highly recommend seeing Berlin, on your own another time, because of the distances involved. A better time could be had right in the port, and, a lot less expensive...