NCL in Juneau problems

knarf

Will be in Juneau in Aug on the NCL PEARL from 2 to 10. I understand that the pier is "a ways" from the Roberts tram site where it seems that the whale watching companies pick you up. I also understand that there is a shuttle at the pier that will take you there. My big concern (to 'catch' the 2:30 whale watching tour that I am looking at) with so so many people getting off the ship for tours etc etc, and wanting transportation to town or tour pickup area, how hectic will it be to try to get on the shuttle. On my, how I hate long lines !!

Couple of questions---any tour companies pick up at the NCL Pier ? Other ways to get to the tram pick up area ( I am guessing taxi) ? How far of a walk is it to the tram pickup area ? On another note....Are there means to get to Mendenhall Glacier from the NCL pier ?

I have researched these boards "ALASKA" quite thoroughly and have not seen this type of question. So, I would greatly appreciate anyone's help or advice.

I docked at that pier a couple of years ago. The only transportation available was the shuttle (motor coach) to the other pier area and the buses for the cruise excursions. I don't recall seeing taxis, but I could be wrong.

Only other option is to walk.

Are you on the August 11 Pearl in Juneau? I see it assign the AJD dock... the furthest dock according to this map...

https://www.arktikana.com/city-glacier-tour/ (scroll down to map)

Google Map shows it just over 1 mile away from tram site or a 25 minute walk.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=58.290191,+-134.395473&daddr=58.296174,-134.399807&hl=en&sll=58.295046,-134.397533&sspn=0.00477,0.011244&geocode=FQ9weQMdr0n99w%3BFW6HeQMdwTj99w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

Edited by xlxo

Are you on the August 11 Pearl in Juneau? I see it assign the AJD dock... the furthest dock according to this map...

https://www.arktikana.com/city-glacier-tour/ (scroll down to map)

Google Map shows it just over 1 mile away from tram site or a 25 minute walk.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=58.290191,+-134.395473&daddr=58.296174,-134.399807&hl=en&sll=58.295046,-134.397533&sspn=0.00477,0.011244&geocode=FQ9weQMdr0n99w%3BFW6HeQMdwTj99w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

Thank you for the information. We are on the Pearl one week before you. Our sailing date out of Seattle is Aug. 2 and in Juneau on Aug. 4 Where did you go to see what pier you were at while in Juneau ? I would guess we are at the same pier.

I docked at that pier a couple of years ago. The only transportation available was the shuttle (motor coach) to the other pier area and the buses for the cruise excursions. I don't recall seeing taxis, but I could be wrong.

Only other option is to walk.

Thank you also for the information. Did you take the bus/shuttle to the other pier ? Was there a wait and a line ?

Thanks again for the help.

Frank

I have done the AJ dock many times, including last year on the Pearl. Yes there are huge amounts of people wanting off the ship. This is a fact of a late arrival. Everyone is up, ready to go. It's up to YOU, to be ahead of some. This involves keeping an eye out- once you see population and Juneau in the distance, then be ready to go. If you can find out what deck, they are going to use, ahead, then get near there, on the lowest deck still open.

You do have to take a shuttle, if you don't want to walk, there are cabs, but I would suspect, if you only wanted to get to the tram, there is going to be a minimum charge involved. When you come up the ramp, go to the left- where the shuttle buses are, they leave as soon as they load and are large tour buses. These go to the tram lot.

Finally, be certain to notify your vendor of your port time. Then they will tell you if they can or can not schedule you. There may be some vendors, who do pick up at the AJ dock, The vendor I use does not, but does drop off at AJ after the tour.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you for the information. We are on the Pearl one week before you. Our sailing date out of Seattle is Aug. 2 and in Juneau on Aug. 4 Where did you go to see what pier you were at while in Juneau ? I would guess we are at the same pier.
For August 4 and August 11th.... the Jewel is docked 7am to 1:30pm at AJD. The Pearl gets the same dock 2pm to 10pm.

Not sure what's worse... AJD or being told to tender. I was told to tender on my trip and hated it.

Edited by xlxo

For August 4 and August 11th.... the Jewel is docked 7am to 1:30pm at AJD. The Pearl gets the same dock 2pm to 10pm.

Not sure what's worse... AJD or being told to tender. I was told to tender on my trip and hated it.

This is the schedule the whole season. Another issue is also with the Pearl being delayed docking, due to the Jewel leaving late.

Hello xlxo,

Thank you for the pier information for the Pearl. A question for you or someone who has cruised on the NCL to Juneau

..Are there two places for the NCL ships to dock at AJD (the NCL location). The reason I ask, if they have to share the same space, then the Pearl will not dock until the Jewel "gets out of the way". I was hoping the Pearl gets in Juneau early, so that we can leave the ship right at 2 or maybe a little before !!!

As I've said before, I hate lines and when tendering there are always lines.....have I told you- I dislike tendering !! :(

Frank

I just saw Budget Queen's post, I guess that answers my question, they share the same dock space ! : ( Thank you Budget Queen. Thank you also for the other info in your previous post. You is a very helpful young lady !! (Yes, I did teached English !!

Frank

Edited by knarf

You may also have to take into account that if some one on the Jewel is late from a tour, the ship will be late in leaving, and the Pearl will be docking later.

You just never know with these things.

Cheers

Len

We were at this dock on the NCL sun last summer. We had a long day in Juneau, and docked at 10:00 am. We were enjoying the view from the decks and assumed we would wait until the lines were shorter to get off...and then we saw the line to the shuttle. We were going to walk to buy tickets for the bus to Mendenhall, but there were three of us. There was one taxi at the pier but he was not willing to do a taxi ride to Mendenhall, he was only looking for customers for a city tour. We walked the mile and then took the bus to Mendenhall.

Coming back it was not a problem to get the shuttle.