Talk me in/out of upgrading to the Haven with a 4 year old

Solararc

I've seen many complain about this, I would like to hear from those with positive and negative views on the subject also those who have first hand experience with taking their young children. This is not a matter of funding it is a question of value. Looking forward to your responses

*Living large one week at a time*

We had our kids, 3 and 6 at the time, in the haven on Epic. Going again in a few weeks, now 5 and 8. I would absolutely take a 4 year old. You and your child are going to be pampered and will have a great time! It's a great value.

I realize there are those who want to believe that the Haven should be some adult only paradise, but that is just incorrect. The Havens are designed with families in mind, hence the 2 bedroom family villas.

Bottom line is if you want a great vacation and can afford it, I would do the haven with kids in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had our kids, 3 and 6 at the time, in the haven on Epic. Going again in a few weeks, now 5 and 8. I would absolutely take a 4 year old. You and your child are going to be pampered and will have a great time! It's a great value.

I realize there are those who want to believe that the Haven should be some adult only paradise, but that is just incorrect. The Havens are designed with families in mind, hence the 2 bedroom family villas.

Bottom line is if you want a great vacation and can afford it, I would do the haven with kids in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for you insight, I'm currently booked in a non haven 2 bedroom suite, never gave the haven a second thought until we sailed to Alaska in September of last year, I'll brush up a bit more before I call to upgrade/or not

Thanks for you insight, I'm currently booked in a non haven 2 bedroom suite, never gave the haven a second thought until we sailed to Alaska in September of last year, I'll brush up a bit more before I call to upgrade/or not

Keep in mind the Haven area on the jewel class ships is very small.

Last time i sailed in the haven there was a family with 4 or 5 children

they were making a lot of noise and some guests gave them the stink eye.

I did not because everyone is entitled to have fun

Alos, the mother kept telling the kids to be quiet which was very considerate of her

Nothing worse than unruly loud kids in the haven

Well, maybe unruly loud adults.

There was a family from minnesota staying the the GV and they felt the need to all jump in the hot tub with all there dirty clothes on including smeaker

Rude, obnoxious and down right gross

Last time i sailed in the haven there was a family with 4 or 5 children

they were making a lot of noise and some guests gave them the stink eye.

I did not because everyone is entitled to have fun

Alos, the mother kept telling the kids to be quiet which was very considerate of her

Nothing worse than unruly loud kids in the haven

Well, maybe unruly loud adults.

There was a family from minnesota staying the the GV and they felt the need to all jump in the hot tub with all there dirty clothes on including smeaker

Rude, obnoxious and down right gross

That sounds awful my DD is very well behaved and mild mannered, this scenario would not happen with her or us, we don't want to spoil anyone else's vacation

We did BA a few mtgs ago with a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old. It was a lifesaver! Too chilly many days for outdoor pool but they happily swam the day away in Haven. As it turns out, They also hated the regular pool because the aren't chlorinated- salt water irritated their eyes. They were so much happier in the Haven pool. And the set up of the kids pool is terrible- because you can't really see in it, you have to sit along the edge while watching a Kia. In the Haven, I could lay in a lounge chair and still watch them. They also loved the little snacks and being able to get their own glass of water or cookie ( the little things!).

I've seen many complain about this, I would like to hear from those with positive and negative views on the subject also those who have first hand experience with taking their young children. This is not a matter of funding it is a question of value. Looking forward to your responses

Do not care what other people think....do what YOU want. In the future just think of all the pictures you will have of your child with a smile bigger then the moon.

People will tell you don't bring your kids, they are annoying, they are loud, they drool, they this, they that......IGNORE THEM!!!

Live till you die, Don't waste your time on what other people think, people are inherently jealous so do what is good for you and your kids.

I hope you make long lasting memories.

Forget the people you will never know and forget what they have to say, in the end, they do not matter, your family does and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Thank you everyone for your great advice iimmie, you raise very strong and valid points. I think I will upgrade next week should there still be rooms available in the H class I want. I'll keep you all posted, and please keep the info coming I can always appreciate first hand knowledge and experiences [emoji6]

The 2 BR suite in the Haven is identical to the 2BR suites located elsewhere. Exact same.

You pay extra to be located in the haven with the primary difference being access to the lounge/pool area.

If your child wants to run around in the Haven, probably not a good idea. It you want a place for a reasonably supervised child can have a bit of room to wander around, then the Haven might be worth the extra money.

In either case, the 2BR is awesome. Mom and Dad get a private bedroom.

When my kids were younger, they are now 30, 28 and 26 people always asked me why we took our kids to nice restaurants. People at restaurants would look at us funny when we would be seated.

We did what we wanted. Our children were taught good manners from an early age and yes, there were times I need to take one of them to the 'bathroom' for a talk. But they learned early what was expected of them and what it was like to not always eat at 'fast food, diners, etc.' and we did lots of things as a family.

There is no reason we didn't bring our kids or take our kids with us when they were younger, no matter where we went....unless Mom and Dad wanted alone time.

You do what is best for you and your family! Don't worry about others. Kids are the least of problems on most cruises I've been on. Drunks are!

Those that hog chairs are! Adults who push and shove to get into an elevator are! LOL

Enjoy your cruise no matter which cabin you're in.

Harriet

We have cruised exclusively in the 2-bdrm suties with our now 3.5 year old. We are doing our 7th cruise in a couple of months. One of those was in the Haven and quite frankly, wouldn't bother with it again for the extra money. Of course if you're on one of the newer ships you don't have a choice, but for Jewel class and below I don't think it's worth the money. But - of course - many feel very differently..

Obnoxious, selfish and rude PEOPLE whether young or old can be an issue on any vacation. That said, I think those things can get magnified very easily in the relatively smaller spaces of the Haven on older ships.

My husband and I are "child-free' and will be sailing in the Gem Haven this spring and would more than welcome polite and considerate people of all ages.

As other posters have said, do what's right for you value-wise and what will provide the best time for you and your child!

Good luck!

Ok with all the positive advice and testimonials I Upgraded to an H4 this morning, my DW is going to freak out when she unwraps the edocs and NCL bathrobe for her birthday!! Thanks again everyone

Ok with all the positive advice and testimonials I Upgraded to an H4 this morning, my DW is going to freak out when she unwraps the edocs and NCL bathrobe for her birthday!! Thanks again everyone

That's awesome:D!!!!

Bathrobe?!?!? We just booked a Haven Family suite yesterday. So what's up with the bathrobe? I want one, too....... Hey enjoy your trip. We did the family suite in the Jewel and have decided to cruise less often so we could cruise in the Haven with the kids. It's less hassle and worry. You don't have to wait in the long line while boarding or really anything else. And with kids that in itself is priceless.

Bathrobe?!?!? We just booked a Haven Family suite yesterday. So what's up with the bathrobe? I want one, too....... Hey enjoy your trip. We did the family suite in the Jewel and have decided to cruise less often so we could cruise in the Haven with the kids. It's less hassle and worry. You don't have to wait in the long line while boarding or really anything else. And with kids that in itself is priceless.

Did you buy her the type they have in the Haven? Those are unreal!! I'm sad because I heard they don't have that type in the Dawn suites, my next ship. :(

We've had the "good" ones on the Dawn in the DOS every time. Been that way on every ship so far.

They are the ones in the online catalog for $80.

I just checked out that link. I think that's the standard suite style. I know there was a thread going around last year that had a link to buy the Haven style direct from the manufacturer and I believe it was around that same price, but may not have had the logo.

Either way, how nice would it be to lounge around home in an NCL bathrobe dreaming of being on your balcony with a fruity cocktail in hand?!? She will be thrilled!!

Agreed I may order one for myself now, should've done it at the same time but I figured the package may have been to big to explain without arousing a second thought from the DW

ImageUploadedByForums1426278479.546025.jpg.feec9c704a484606d9c5bad089654a1c.jpg

Not to take over here, but the style I had on the BA was not a terry outside but a soft cotton with velour inside. Is that what was in the DOS? We have the starboard side 1bdrm.

And Solararc, you should order one, too!! Lol

Edited by AEckhardt