Cruise Recap - Westerdam 2/28-3/7

Alcarondas

Would you happen to have the Explorer dailies to share? Thanks.

I did keep all the daily programs, yes.

It was different from previous cruises this time; On Embarkation Day, we received a 16-page, full color booklet (more like a magazine, really) called "Explorer" which contained information on all the ports of call, including simple street maps, locations of recommended touring, dining and shopping venues, sample shore excursions, etc., and the itinerary, complete with evening dress codes. Handy.

This was supplemented each day with the "On Location" pamphlet, which contained a detailed daily schedule with information on dining and entertainment times, events and activities, drink specials, weather forecast, etc. These were also in color and printed on heavy stock.

Overall, they were much nicer than the older ones, and the combined package was easier to use and keep track of. Previously, the port information was contained on separate fliers delivered each day; it was much better to have them all in one place, bound into the Explorer.

The Shore Excursions booklet was also very nice; in color, on heavy paper, easier to read and better organized.

We like to go on and on about scrimping and corner-cutting and how things were so much better "back in the old days", but this was one area in which there was a definite improvement in quality, I think.

If there is anything specific you'd like to know about daily events or whatnot, just ask and I'll look for it.

Unfortunately not. I had planned to use HMC Day to go on a photo safari of the ship while everyone was ashore, but I got lazy and... um, didn't. :o

I guess this means I'll have to go back again! In the interest of science. And research. Something like that. :D

Sounds like an excellent reason to go on another cruise! :D

What a delightful review err recap by a talented writer!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the Westerdam..We haven't cruised on her since 2004... We thought it was a lovely ship..

Also haven't cruised since 2013 but DH has been hinting & now you've whetted my appetite for another cruise.. :)

Thanks again..:)

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions about the ship itself.....is there a refrigerator in the cabin?.........is there a self serve laundry? I am thinking of joining friends on a long cruise on this ship and have never been on Holland America.

It sounds like you had a great time...you do a wonderful job with the (re-cap)

A few questions about the ship itself.....is there a refrigerator in the cabin?.........is there a self serve laundry?

There is a mini-fridge (more of a chiller) in every cabin on this ship. Also, there is always plenty of ice available. Your steward will normally replace the ice twice a day, and will supply more if requested. There's always ice in the Lido, too.

There are no self-service laundries on the ship. You can send laundry out, and have three choices of payment plan. You can pay by the piece (expensive), by the bag ($20 for a well-stuffed bag), or "unlimited" ($7 times the number of days in the cruise).

On a longer cruise, especially in warmer climates, and especially for a solo, the unlimited can be a good deal. The bag doesn't need to be full, since it's already paid for.

There is a mini-fridge (more of a chiller) in every cabin on this ship. Also, there is always plenty of ice available. Your steward will normally replace the ice twice a day, and will supply more if requested. There's always ice in the Lido, too.

There are no self-service laundries on the ship. You can send laundry out, and have three choices of payment plan. You can pay by the piece (expensive), by the bag ($20 for a well-stuffed bag), or "unlimited" ($7 times the number of days in the cruise).

On a longer cruise, especially in warmer climates, and especially for a solo, the unlimited can be a good deal. The bag doesn't need to be full, since it's already paid for.

Several of my tablemates were adamant (based, allegedly, on personal experience) that there was a self-serve laundry on "A"-Deck, near the Infirmary. I didn't check it out myself, though.

Several of my tablemates were adamant (based, allegedly, on personal experience) that there was a self-serve laundry on "A"-Deck, near the Infirmary. I didn't check it out myself, though.

Not on the Vista or Signature ships---that is, not unless they found a crew laundry.

When you head to the Infirmary on these classes of ships, you head down into crew areas, but the direct access to the Infirmary is immediately off the passenger elevators. The other passageways down there are behind doors that passengers normally don't pass through.

I've been down to the Infirmaries on these ships often enough to know the area a little.

Edited by RuthC

Thanks so much for the fantastic recap! I'm going to be on the Westerdam with a group of friends in November and I'll be sharing your recap with them. Just adding my voice to the others complimenting your writing style and how much information you covered!

Do you by chance recall (or have printed in the Explorer) which were the formal nights? Do you know if that remains the same from cruise to cruise? We'll be doing the same Easter Carib. itinerary I believe.

Also, did you notice if there was a Chef's Table/Sommelier's Dinner available on your cruise? It's something I'm particularly interested in, but it seems like this varies a lot from cruise to cruise and some cruises it doesn't happen at all.

Thanks again!