Magic vs Sunshine

ski_mom

We've been going back and forth on which cruise to take and I think we have it down to Sunshine out of Port Canaveral or Magic out of Galveston on July 18th or 19th.

We would be flying to either port, so that part is not an issue.

Just wondering opinions on the 2 ships. Sunshine is an 8 days cruise (which it's always better to have an extra day) and I like the ports. But Magic looks like a great ship too!

We are going with my in-laws and they enjoy the shows, so I also wondered about the comparisons on shows offered on the two ships.

With Magic, we could still book early saver which would be nice to get price drops if there are any.

Thanks for any advice / opinions!

based on cruise length, sunshine. 8 days is better than 7.

based on ship, magic. sunshine has more of the 2.0 ugprades and stuff, but magic is the 2nd newest ship in the fleet - and was built for the amount of passengers it sustains. sunshine packed in too many new cabins imo.

based on shows, magic. magic still has the traditional shows with the band, etc., sunshine has playlist productions (shorter, fewer performers, no band, LED screens in lieu of traditional sets)...

based on booking, magic. if early saver is important to you - you could save some $ there.

i wouldn't say i'm averse to sunshine but given your points, i'd probably pick magic. if having the latest and greatest 2.0 upgrades are important to you, then go sunshine... but otherwise, i think magic is the 'better ship' and still has a lot of the 'new stuff' such as the ropes course, waterworks, etc.

I want to thank you for your reply.

I pulled the trigger and we are now booked on the Magic! I'm super excited.

Although I've been to all of the ports, the kids haven't been to all of them and my husband has never been to Texas. I haven't been since I was a kid, so we're going to go a couple of days early to check the area out!

The boat sounds wonderful and in the midst of deciding, I got an email from a PVP, so I called him and he also suggested the Magic over the Sunshine for our family, so that sealed the deal!

We are traveling with my in-laws, so we needed 3 rooms. When we've cruised with the kids, we've always stayed on the Lido deck, but there were no interior cabins left, so we went with 3 inside cabins next to each other on the Verandah deck. We were going to go with the Vista deck right below the Lido, but I've read that it is sometimes not best to be right under the Lido because of noise. So, we're close to the elevators on the Verandah and I'm excited! Shouldn't take us too long to get anywhere!

Thanks again!

I would choose the Magic as well

But are you driving or flying to Texas?

We were going to fly into Houston, rent a car and drive to Galveston, but we are now thinking of just driving. It's about a 10 hour drive from where we live. So, not great, but not terrible.

Have a great cruise OP! Let us know how Magic is. I am dying to try her out sometime in the semi-near future, she looks like a great ship!

Thanks! We'll do!

We were going to fly into Houston, rent a car and drive to Galveston, but we are now thinking of just driving. It's about a 10 hour drive from where we live. So, not great, but not terrible.

It might be cheaper and easier if you drive

Or if you do fly, rent a car and park at the port for the week

There is no, one way rentals, from the Houston airports to Galveston

It makes it a Pita for those that fly in

This might help with your decision

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

It might be cheaper and easier if you drive

Or if you do fly, rent a car and park at the port for the week

There is no, one way rentals, from the Houston airports to Galveston

It makes it a Pita for those that fly in

This might help with your decision

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

It does look like it's easier to drive to this port. That's probably what we'll end up doing. Thanks for the info!

I want to thank you for your reply.

I pulled the trigger and we are now booked on the Magic! I'm super excited.

you're very welcome - i'm glad i could help :)

definitely plan to say in galveston before the cruise, there's lots of stuff to do - and consider booking a 'beach house' instead of just a hotel if you plan to stay a few days. obviously it wouldn't come with some of the perks like free parking or breakfast, but it's rather affordable and in many cases 'way better'... i've booked galveston beach houses for 'weekends' a few times and it's great.

i think you made a good decision, and will love magic. i still remember welcoming her to galveston with maroon 5. great ship :)

We are from central Illinois - about an hour north of St. Louis.

I would double check that time to drive. It is a 9 hour drive for us and we live in Tulsa. When I check Google Maps it gives an estimated time of about 13 hours from St Louis. Best to be prepared for how long of a drive it really is.

We love the Magic and have her booked for March 2016. Galveston is a great port for driving but from what I hear not such a great port for people flying.

I would double check that time to drive. It is a 9 hour drive for us and we live in Tulsa. When I check Google Maps it gives an estimated time of about 13 hours from St Louis. Best to be prepared for how long of a drive it really is.

We love the Magic and have her booked for March 2016. Galveston is a great port for driving but from what I hear not such a great port for people flying.

I agree we are in Little Rock ,Ar 8 hr drive from here to Galveston and that is catching Houston with light traffic . Can be 10 hrs for us if traffic is peak time . LR to St Louis is 4-5 hrs from LR

I agree we are in Little Rock ,Ar 8 hr drive from here to Galveston and that is catching Houston with light traffic . Can be 10 hrs for us if traffic is peak time . LR to St Louis is 4-5 hrs from LR

You guys are right! It's between 14 and 15 hours!

I swear my husband said 10 hours. Maybe he said 1,000 miles.

Well, I guess we'll still drive, but may have to check into flying. 15 hours is a LONG time! But, the transfers do seem to seem somewhat costly and inconvenient. Decisions, decisions.

The boat sounds wonderful and in the midst of deciding, I got an email from a PVP, so I called him and he also suggested the Magic over the Sunshine for our family, so that sealed the deal!

Great! When are you going?

We've done both magic (7day) and sunshine (8day) with our kids. That being said, we're booked again for magic, so I'd say you made the right choice. While a day on vacation is better than one at home, if given the choice between sunshine and home, I'm telling you it would be tough call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I encourage you to drive if you can stomach the 10 hour drive. Getting to the port from Hobby or IAH can be problematic and there are limited ways to turn a car in on the island. I am glad you picked the Magic. The Destiny stands out as the worst cruise I was ever on. I know it had a major overhaul to be turned into the Sunshine but my understanding is that they mostly just added rooms which likely only exacerbated their problems on that particular ship.