Which Cell phone carrier is best for traveling in the Caribbean?

Galleon1234

I used to think I had the worst cell phone carrier, but now I love T-mobile with the FREE international text/data coverage. Have used it many times in the Caribbean, Europe and Asia. No longer need to find free wifi everywhere, only in countries where the coverage is not included. :D

I don't have a smart phone, mine is a dumb phone. I can call home from San Juan (Verizon, extended network) but that is the ONLY time the thing comes out of the safe. Don't want to be bothered while on vacation.

The worst thing I ever did was give up my dumb phone. :o

I have a coworker with T-mobile and he loves the international aspect of the new T-mobile choice plans. I even considered getting a T-mobile account for our cruise and then cancelling it when I get home since I won't have a contract. The problem is we are on the Honduras, Mexico, Belize route and only Mexico is included in their plan. The ship and the other two ports are not covered while on Verizon's $40 feature every port we will go to is covered.

ummgood, Honduras (including Roatan) is covered. If you look on t-mobiles page

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Honduras is in the South and Central America Section, not the North American and Caribbean.

• 2 months later...
I have Verizon and going on the Oasis March 21st. I never use my phone but this time decided to use it if I could. I called Verizon and they now have a new cruise ship plan/international plan. You can activate and deactivate after your cruise. $40.00 per month for - unlimited incoming text messages, 100 outgoing text messages, 100 voice calls/checking voicemails counts and 100MB for data(internet). This info is on the Verizon Web site. Hope this info helps.

I want to use this plan Verizon offers but can you use it while at sea and if so are there any extra charges?

I switched us from AT&T to TMobile precisely for their international plan.

I saw a thread similar to this one and decided to do a test. I bought a cheap phone and started an account at TMobile prior to going to South America. I didn't move our four devices from ATT until after we got back from the TMobile test in South America. TMobile won my test.

We have two phones, two iPads, unlimited call, text and data with TMobile for less than we were paying at ATT.

Had been with AT&T, and all their previous lives, since 1994.