Copenhagen Hotels and Restaurants

Have you considered the Hotel D'Angleterre?

[url="http://www3.aok.dk/E/V/CPHDK/0006/45/45/"]http://www3.aok.dk/E/V/CPHDK/0006/45/45/[/url]

We'll be staying at the Phoenix for 3 nights this August. I came across the D'Angleterre when searching last year, but booked the Phoenix in June 2003 for a real BARGAIN price!

<')))><
Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

Steve,

We booked thru [url="http://www.arp-hansen.com"]www.arp-hansen.com[/url]. It was a "today's special". We were surprised that they allowed us to book more than 1 year in advance. We're paying about $120 a night and it includes breakfast and a bottle of champagne. We arrive on a Saturday for a 3 night stay. I think their weekend rates are lower.

Julie

Julie

<')))><
Grand Princess 8/17/04 Baltic B2B with 8/27/04 Transatlantic & 11/27/04 Western Caribbean

That is strange! I've noticed a couple of other missing posts - but they were "bump ups" so I thought that was why they were taken off. Sure can't think of any reason for your restaurant recommendation to be removed.

Julie

<')))><

Hi just back! SPent 2 nights pre-cruise and 1 night post-cruise at the Phoenix. This hotel is SO ideally located I can't even begin to tell you!! Superb. The staff are friendly and service oriented. We were upgraded on both stays from a Superior to Executive rooms. By American standards, rooms are small, so be prepared for that if you haven't spent a lot of time in Europe before. The bath is nice and the daily breakfast buffet quite nice. Best of all, you are two blocks from Amalienburg Palace and the waterside quay, two blocks from the Nyhavn restaurant area, two different grocery stores, one major dept store three blocks away, Rosenberg Palace four blocks away, five blocks to the beautiful area Castellet, with its lovely church, moat, and the Little Mermaid, and four blocks from the beginning of the Stroget. There are many, many restaurants in the area. In my mind, having seen where the other hotels are relative to the primary points of interest, this is the place to be. You can always walk to Tivoli.

The Marriott, which offers American style comfort, is quite off the beaten track.

Cab from airport to hotel ran 200 Kronerabout 20-25 minutes). Hotel to ship under 100 (about 10 minutes)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cruisin' Chris

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

Chris,

Many thanks for the report on the Phoenix. We're booked into the Vesterbro but I'm wondering which one would be nicer. The Vesterbro is also a 4 star hotel and we got a very good deal.

My big question is exactly how small are the rooms? We'd book a standard double and can't expect an upgrade and we'll have the typical amount of too much cruise luggage.
You think the rooms are at least 20m2?

Are the bathrooms pretty?

Thanks so much,
Jane

[This message was edited by Jane110 on 06-01-04 at 01:29 PM.]

I stayed at the SAS Royal hotel two weeks ago. It was extremely nice and great breakfast included the next morning. Most comfortable beds I ever slept on. It is across the street from Tivoli and the tourist information. You can catch Hop On Hop Off bus for tours 1 block away. Great location!

• 2 weeks later...
Had dinner one night at a lovely Italian restaurant off of Vesterbrogade called Mama Ludbas. It's not cheap but the food was good as was the service and the ambience was wonderful.

[url="http://www.mamaludbas.dk"]www.mamaludbas.dk[/url]

We're booked at DGI-Byen--it's near Tivoli. Was interested in it or SAS Royal. As I understand, both DIGI and SAS are known for their modern decor (SAS much more so). SAS Royal was much more expensive ($310 per night vs $158 per night), and DIGI is suppose to have a great inside pool. Gypsyrose48, IYHO, do you think it would be worth staying there instead. Did you happen to see DGI-Byen?

Westerdam - Baltic Sea
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;7;06;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

GypsyRose: So happy to hear about the SAS Royal being so nice. I booked the hotel for the 3 of us for 6 nights at $198 per night including breakfast. Glad I booked it last August since it sounds like the price has increased greatly. Location looks like it will be excellent.

There seems to be several very good hotels in the area, but it also looks to me like prices have increased significantly since I was looking last summer.

Good luck on your reservations.

Hulagirl

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Grand Princess Baltic Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Diamond Princess - Northwest Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Star Princess - Eastern Caribbean

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;6;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Diamond Princess - Alaska

• 2 weeks later...
Carin:

I saw your post on the luggage thread on the fix it board yesterday. I'm so glad you responded there about the new fire code at the Royal. Ended up calling Radisson here and they also said the same about 2 in a room. I've made a new reservation at the Radisson Scandinavia SAS and have contacted the Royal. Of course the 9 hour time difference for us to e-mail Copenhagen is coming into play at the moment. Before I actually cancel the Royal I want to know what they were planning on doing or if they actually have a reservation for the 3 of us. Not too sure now if they even have it right. Was so frustrating trying to find out any information last night.

Again, I really thank you for posting yesterday about this. Don't want to fly for almost 10 hours to find out we have no room. Wish I could figure out why some of the hotels, like this, can only put 2 in a room where the others can have 3. They say they have suites and Jr. Suites that accomodate 2-4, but it doesn't look like that is factual anymore.

Will let you know what I hear back from Elisabeth at the Royal.

Hulagirl

Hi there,

Glad you saw the thread. We had found a decent price on expedia, but it would not book 3. So I called and found their fire explanation. I asked about suites as well, and they said a 2 person max in every room and offered their other hotel as an alternative. It does seem strange. So, we decided to stick w/ Digi. Hope you have a good trip.

Hi Carin,

Well it all worked out at the Royal afterall. Had a few e-mails between Elisabeth with reservations and she was so very helpful. She has put us in family room for the same price as the 2 person standard room which was booked for us. She said they could put 2 extra beds in one of these rooms. Now here the booking agents with Radisson couldn't make any reservations for the Royal with 3 people, so dealing with this lady in Copenhagen helped tremendously. I have it in writing as to what she said, so when we get there I'm hoping there isn't a descrepency, but there shouldn't.

Again, I'm so glad you notified me of what you had found. Our original booking would not have worked and it sort of scares me as to what we might have ended up with. I feel much better now and you really helped.

Have a great trip also. I can't believe we leave in 4 days.

Hulagirl

Hulagirl

We went through the same shenanigans as you!! We too spoke and emailed direct with a SAS reservations agent. We decided to book at the SAS Scandinavia as we have two teenage youngsters and were told that the rooms at the Scandinavia are much larger and we will all have proper beds, whereas at the Royal the youngsters would have foldaways. Also, the rate for 2 includes the 2 kids at no extra charge, including a complimentary breakfast buffet.

Worth considering?

Kool Kruiser,

Thanks for the reply also. Boy, we leave on Thursday and now I don't know quite what to do. We have been told that we would be given a "family" room now at the Royal. I'm thinking this room should be bigger since it can take 4 people. Had not been told the rooms at the Scandinavia were larger. My thinking was we would be pretty of tight since they would be bringing in a fold a way bed. Did you actually have a room for 4? This has been so confusing and frustrating here at the end before we leave. I will have to e-mail again and ask about this.

Thank you so much for your information. Hopefully anyone in the future booking the hotels will see these posts so they can make a good decision. Will let you know how it turned out.

Hulagirl

Dear Hulagirl

I can confirm that we do have a room for 4 at the SAS Scandinavia

Could I suggest a quick phone call may resolve your dilemma. I am sure that whoever you speak to in Copenagen will be only to happy to help and guide you, as they did for me. I think the cost of the call may be a good investment!!

Have a wonderful time

Did not stay there last year but at a sister hotel -the Strand, where we had a suite at very good price. 71 Nyhavn is right at the end of the Nyhavn restaurant row and looked nice.

What one needs to understand about Copenhagen hotels is that only the biggest chain hotels are air conditioned. This summer probably not a problem, but during last year's heat wave it got a little warm! I am quite sure 71 Nyhavn is not air conditioned, but it is right on the water so a good breeze usually blowing.

Jerry

We ended up staying at the Radisson SAS Royal in Copenhagen last week. I'm so glad we didn't change to the Scandinavia hotel. It was far enough out and we walked so much that my feet couldn't have gone any further. The reservations person in Europe for Radisson took care of our problem with 3 in a room and that worked out extremely well. Was a bit concerned before getting there, but that wasn't necessary. The room was very big and we had 2 bathrooms in the room with heated marble floors. Felt wonderful in the morning. We were right across the street from the train station which we used several times. Copenhagen is such an easy city to get around in. The Grand Hotel was just down the street from us and the Palace Hotel is right across from Town Hall. We had air conditioning in our room and did end up using it since the rooms do get a bit stuffy without it.

On the Grand Princess now. Weather here is very cool. They keep telling us that this is the coldest summer they have had in the Baltic in many, many years. I can attest that it is cold. Don't think we will be wearing our shorts at all.

Hulagirl

Archived