Is RADA no longer on board QM2???

DarCrav

I was just reading through the information on our Voyage Personalizer for our May 10 crossing and came across this:

"The new Queen Elizabeth Theatre Company offers spectacular shows at sea in the classically styled Royal Court Theatre with musical diversity, inventive choreography and dazzling costumes."

That's definitely a change in wording from the advertised Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA) being onboard to perform and conduct several acting workshops. Does anyone know if RADA has been dropped???

The Queen Elizabeth Theatre Company do the production shows. Quite a different thing than RADA which should still be doing performances on board either in the theatre or the Winter Garden.

The RADA shows on Cunard are nothing special, I would go as far as to say they damage the brand

Have to disagree, The Jazz Poetry held in the Chart Room is always good, so is the Bedtime and Ghost story held in the Winter Garden.

The RADA shows on Cunard are nothing special, I would go as far as to say they damage the brand

Even if the abridged Shakespearean plays are nowhere near what one experiences in Stratford (and I mean both Stratford-upon-Avon in England and Stratford, Ontario, Canada) they set Cunard apart from most, if not all, others. Most ships have only the usual pop stuff which is not to my taste, to put it discreetly. It was only on our sixth QM2 crossing that we went to one of the "big shows" and it was a good reminder of why we never go to the big shows. :D One of our most delightful evenings on the QM2 was when the RADA actors performed poetry readings accompanied by the harpist in the Queen's Grill Lounge.

P&O used to have the Stadium Theatre Company on the Canberra. We enjoyed their abridged plays and musicals. I don't think they do theatre any more - just the usual.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

I think the RADA performances are wonderful, that's why I posted this thread. In 21st Century terms: RADA is a brand that stands for excellence in performing. While not every one of the post grads that appear in the productions on the QM2 is an Olivier, as a group they are well trained, versatile, and personable players. Having RADA on board does much for the transatlantic experience, and I only hope that Cunard's relationship with them continues for a very long time.

"RADA was established in 1904 and has built an outstanding reputation as a world-renowned centre of excellence, offering the best possible facilities, exceptional teaching and strong links with the industries that employ our graduates. RADA’s student population is a diverse community, united by a shared passion for theatre-making. The Academy prides itself both on the professional standard of its student productions, which are attended by agents, casting directors and theatre practitioners, and on their track-record of employment in theatre, film and television."

I was just reading through the information on our Voyage Personalizer for our May 10 crossing and came across this:

"The new Queen Elizabeth Theatre Company offers spectacular shows at sea in the classically styled Royal Court Theatre with musical diversity, inventive choreography and dazzling costumes."

That's definitely a change in wording from the advertised Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA) being onboard to perform and conduct several acting workshops. Does anyone know if RADA has been dropped???

You seem to be mixing your ships up, The Queen Elizabeth Theatre Company is for The Queen Elizabeth not the Queen Mary2 This is what Peter Shanks sais on the matter. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Queen+Elizabeth+Theatre+Company

You seem to be mixing your ships up, The Queen Elizabeth Theatre Company is for The Queen Elizabeth not the Queen Mary2 This is what Peter Shanks sais on the matter. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Queen+Elizabeth+Theatre+Company

Nope, I'm not confusing my ships. I found the information listed under "Theatre" in my Voyage Personalizer for our first QM2 TA scheduled for May 10th, 2015.

Nope, I'm not confusing my ships. I found the information listed under "Theatre" in my Voyage Personalizer for our first QM2 TA scheduled for May 10th, 2015.

That's also what it says in my VP for a cruise on the QV.

Have to disagree, The Jazz Poetry held in the Chart Room is always good, so is the Bedtime and Ghost story held in the Winter Garden.

RADA is shown on the QM2 website for Transatlantic crossings.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cunard-experience/why-cunard/enrichment-programmes/

Royal Academy of Dramatic Art

Arguably the most famous acting school in the English-speaking world, London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) has a unique relationship with Cunard. The RADA graduate company presents specially-edited versions of renowned plays and adaptations of great literary classics on Transatlantic Cruises, each lasting no more than an hour.

See? We disagree again. I don't think RADA shows damage the brand. I think Cunard's passengers damage the brand.

I believe there is a way to have your computer ignore posts from specific posters who seem to always make worthless comments similar to the above comment. Can anyone remind me of how that is done? Thanks

Go to User CP, Edit Ignore List and add the user name of the person you wish to ignore.

Alternatively, use the red triangle to report the post.

Thank You, thats what I was trying to find.:)

I am not into the RADA performances at all but on two occasions, when traveling with a newbie and hoping to give them the whole Cunard experience, I attended the abridged play performances in the Royal Court Theater on the QM2. The theater was virtually full both times and great reception by the audience.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing has puzzled me about the RADA poetry evenings. These are supposed to be trained actors, trained at a very prestigious academy. Why then do they have to read the poems? Surely it cannot be beyond their talents to learn a couple of poems each.

MM

Go to User CP, Edit Ignore List and add the user name of the person you wish to ignore.

Thanks very much. I've been trying to find that for ages. There's only 2 posters I wish to ignore and now I can !! Actually, they are why I've cut down on postings on here, which is a pity as I like it here.

Can't thank you enough for this information.

Now, if there where a way to also ignore the ancient threads that one person keeps bring back from the grave ...

Bob

One thing has puzzled me about the RADA poetry evenings. These are supposed to be trained actors, trained at a very prestigious academy. Why then do they have to read the poems? Surely it cannot be beyond their talents to learn a couple of poems each.

MM

I'm sure that the RADA actors, who are quite capable of memorising the Elizabethan language of the "Bard of Stratford-on-Avon" in the abridged plays, can recite a few poems from memory. The "readings" are a style of delivery. It reminds me of some dramatic readings I have seen by professional actors. They may very well have it committed to memory, but the books are part of the presentation.

I'm sure that the RADA actors, who are quite capable of memorising the Elizabethan language of the "Bard of Stratford-on-Avon" in the abridged plays, can recite a few poems from memory. The "readings" are a style of delivery. It reminds me of some dramatic readings I have seen by professional actors. They may very well have it committed to memory, but the books are part of the presentation.

Of course I know they can do it, my post was badly worded, sorry.

My wonder is, I suppose, why they do it. The 'Readings' seem to me to be a fairly clumsy way of presentation considering there are what, 5 or 6 people stepping back and fore with their books or sheets of paper. Anyway I shall be seeing them again in a few weeks, maybe I'll revise my opinion.

Of course I know they can do it, my post was badly worded, sorry.

My wonder is, I suppose, why they do it. The 'Readings' seem to me to be a fairly clumsy way of presentation considering there are what, 5 or 6 people stepping back and fore with their books or sheets of paper. Anyway I shall be seeing them again in a few weeks, maybe I'll revise my opinion.

I always look forward to the Jazz Poetry in The Chart Room.