Formal Night Question

Londongirl8

This is our first cruise 7nights to Norwegian Fjords on Azura in July. We have two formal nights. For the ladies I don't really like dresses, are smart tailored trousers with a sparkly top alright if so do I need to have a jacket, as the advice on P & O 's site says trousers suits for ladies.

For the men what percentage are wearing tuxedo's my husband does not want to be the odd one out wearing a suit. Am very happy to do the dress up bit it is part of a cruise really, but wanted to get it right.

Hi....yes you will be fine with trousers and a sparkly top on formal nights. As far as your husband is concerned I think you will find the biggest majority...and I would say at least 90% will be wearing dinner suits....he certainly won't be the odd one out in fact it probably would be your husband that was the odd one out. If he wasn't wearing a dinner suit he wouldn't be allowed to dine in the MDR and certain bars would be out of bounds.

On some formal nights we have decided to eat in the buffet and even there some men wore their dinner suits.

I didn't wear a dress at all. I had some velvet M and S trousers and some soft wide leg ones, one pair black and one purple. Sparkly tops or tops with some added bling are absolutely fine.

I think the majority of the ladies added a bit more bling and sparkle than they would when dining out at home. Everyone looked absolutely fine... nice in dresses, nice in trousers.. all different, all good.

I think about 70/80% perhaps a few more of men wore DJs and the rest suit and tie. The gentlemen in suits did not look out of place at all.

Have a great time and get hooked like the rest of us !!!:)

Edited by indiana123

Janny444 Gentlemen are allowed in the MDR and all bars on formal nights if they are wearing a darkish suit and tie. Many gentlemen do, although as we have said, the majority do wear DJs.

LondonGirl 8... no you don't need to put a jacket on to dine in the MDR, but you may need one afterwards or a stole just to put round your shoulders if it gets a bit cool.

It depends on the cruise and ship but i would say for men up to 90% will opt for the formal option and wear a dinner jacket or dark suit. Of the 90% about 90% will be wearing dinner jackets. Wearing a dark suit is not a problem and you don't look out of place. I wear a navy suit with various shirts and ties. I find it more flexible than a DJ as you can wear the trousers without the jacket.

Sounds Lovely dave.

I am sure you look very smart

Yes a baby pink or baby blue striped shirt looks good with navy blue, with the appropriate tie of course. It is surprising how a subtle pink complements dark blue. I do have more formal colours of course, plus a dinner jacket for Aurora.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Husband has bought a dinner jacket suit, white shirt, bow tie today must say it does look really smart, really getting into this now. Not having much luck yet with sparkly tops for myself wrong time of year I think to be looking. Can't wait to go now everyone on here really loves it, wish we had made this decision before now. I was always concerned about sea sickness as I do get so sick on a ferry, I will go and get one of those injections if its a problem. Already thinking were next so I hope I like it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Husband has bought a dinner jacket suit, white shirt, bow tie today must say it does look really smart, really getting into this now. Not having much luck yet with sparkly tops for myself wrong time of year I think to be looking. Can't wait to go now everyone on here really loves it, wish we had made this decision before now. I was always concerned about sea sickness as I do get so sick on a ferry, I will go and get one of those injections if its a problem. Already thinking were next so I hope I like it.

We are on the same sailing, you will love it. It might be your first - but I'm sure it won't be your last...

Have you considered looking at any of the catalogues.

As my home town now has NO dress outlets for anyone over a size 10!! I have had to look else where.

Grattan usually has nice things in it-they do the Together brand ,which is nice, and Kaleidoscope. JD Williams is another. Also QVC from the tele, some of their outfits (I am thinking Dreamkeeper) are lovely. Think outside the box as it were.

If you think ooh that is too much for one wearing, as has been posted you will probably get hooked ..and they will have lots of outings.

Ref seasickness..cruise liners are much more stable than ferries. also go into chemist before you go and get some of their seasick tablets. If the captain warns of bad weather (they do if they cannot avoid it) I take one before going to bed the first night. Helps me sleep that first night and you are not zonked the next day.

Injection onboard will probably cost £60.

Non medical-ginger things are always good to eat/chew/suck

Thanks everyone for the replies. Husband has bought a dinner jacket suit, white shirt, bow tie today must say it does look really smart, really getting into this now.

Just make sure he has a real now tie. None of this pre-tied nonsense! :)

Then after midnight he can undo it and be very James Bondish

Stewart

Just make sure he has a real now tie. None of this pre-tied nonsense! :)

Then after midnight he can undo it and be very James Bondish

Stewart

Nonsense, i use a pre tied, much easier, then just nip in the gents and replace it with the loose one for a james bond effect. Somehow all those purple faced, sweating gents don't look like James bond.

On my last cruise on Azura we had 4 formal nights I only wore a dress on the first and evening trousers on the other 3 only 1top was a bit sparkly the others not sparkly but good evening tops and very comfortable ,ones that I would wear for a special do here and I felt just as dressed up as when I had my long evening dress on only maybe a bit more comfy ,you can dress a plain top up with some bling rember it's your holiday enjoy .

Nonsense, i use a pre tied, much easier, then just nip in the gents and replace it with the loose one for a james bond effect. Somehow all those purple faced, sweating gents don't look like James bond.

That's cheating! :D

I've gone through most of my life wearing a pre tied bow tie when necessary, but for my upcoming cruise I actually tracked down some nice self-tie ones. I do need a little more practice with them though.

That's cheating! :D

I've gone through most of my life wearing a pre tied bow tie when necessary, but for my upcoming cruise I actually tracked down some nice self-tie ones. I do need a little more practice with them though.

If you can tie your shoe laces then you can tie a perfect bow tie. The others are just lazy and slovenly. Don't half do it, get it right first time!

Stewart

If you can tie your shoe laces then you can tie a perfect bow tie. The others are just lazy and slovenly. Don't half do it, get it right first time!

Stewart

OK, here we go again. I don't use a self tie because i have medical problems with my fingers. I resent being called lazy and slovenly, I suggest you think about what you are going to post :mad::mad::mad:

A pre-tied bow tie is no more "wrong" than choosing between laced shoes and slip-ons. On another thread, people were freely telling me that many people go to black tie wearing a tie that isn't black. As such I've bought a couple of extra (not black) ties to take along too. The way it's fastened matters even less. My tie will be the first time/s wearing self tied bow ties, but my braces will still be clip-on. No doubt some members will want to chastise me for that too :p I'd probably better not mention that my DJ is vented with two buttons instead of one :D:D

I'm sure all bow tie wearing men will look smart- love a man in a bow tie and DJ, shows he's put the effort in- smart regardless about colour or how it's fastened... Mind you there is something about the ' James Bond look'

The important thing is to enjoy whether on holiday or an event at home.

Trea x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, here we go again. I don't use a self tie because i have medical problems with my fingers. I resent being called lazy and slovenly, I suggest you think about what you are going to post :mad::mad::mad:

Lighten up and take a joke!

Someone had a vented dinner suit??? Disgusting... chuck that man overboard! :):)

My OH cannot have a normal waisted suit. He needed a suit for normal things at home where a suit would be appropriate. He asked a tailor (which he had to have because of making the waist high) if he could make him a suit that would double for normal wear and could be 'tarted up' for evening formals.

No problem. He looked stunning on the cruise both on formal and smart nights, and I don't think anyone could tell, neither did they care.

I don't think you need a tie to look formal either.

My OH didn't wear a tie when we got married and doesn't own one.

We will see how we get on on our "formal night" later this month! I have the glam dress! OH on the other hand has a beautiful suit with a band collar shirt and waistcoat.

Will let you all know if we are in the MDR or buffet that night!

Stewart

Nonsense. I can perfectly well tie my shoelaces in a fashion that keeps my shoes on my feet. But if I repeated the process with a bow tie, there would be few who called it a sartorial success - after all, the main point of a bow tie isn't just to keep your shirt from falling off. :eek:

To answer the OP, there will not be 90% of men wearing dinner jackets. There may well be 90% of men wearing bow ties, but some of them will be wearing them with ordinary black suits. And if your husband thinks everyone will look at him if he wears a lounge suit, tell him not to be so sensitive. It's not true, they won't look; and if they do look, they won't care; and if they do care, they aren't the sort of people you want to spend time with.