Is the Sun a training ship?

khirschman

I believe the point that they were trying to get across to you was that when "someone" makes a claim, you should question THEM and ask THEM to back up and explain what they said. It isn't fair to ask others to pass judgment on what "someone" said without letting people see the actual claim so that they are aware of the context in which it was given.

Thank you.

For the OP: Word of the Day: veracity

Edited by triptolemus

I believe the point that they were trying to get across to you was that when "someone" makes a claim, you should question THEM and ask THEM to back up and explain what they said. It isn't fair to ask others to pass judgment on what "someone" said without letting people see the actual claim so that they are aware of the context in which it was given.

I disagree... I wasn't asking anyone to pass judgement... Don't make a simple question of whether or not the sun is a training ship into something else... I came to CC because there are many seasoned cruisers with a wealth of knowledge on here...if you don't like my question for whatever reason..move on.

I also don't know why you assume I didn't question this person...

Edited by khirschman

I just read somewhere that someone thought the Sun was a training ship and had mediocre service because of this. Does anyone know if this is true..not about the service but about the ship being a training ship?

Thanks!

Whoever came up with that one could win a prize for the most unbelieable story ever told and no, the service is anything but mediocre. Like any ship or any restaurant, there may be an occassional crew member that doesn't give the best service or isn't in the best mood all the time, but overall the Sun has good service. I don't think there is such a thing as one ship used for training.

I don't believe NCL has a "training" ship, they didn't when I was there. IF they did, it would more likely be the Sky on the 3 & 4 night Bahamas run, rather than a ship where they are going around South America for repositioning, and Alaska, which are markets with some stiff competition in terms of quality of service. The short Bahamas run would make for better training, as the routine of embark/disembark, which is the hardest to become accustomed to, would be repeated twice a week.

I disagree... I wasn't asking anyone to pass judgement... Don't make a simple question of whether or not the sun is a training ship into something else... I came to CC because there are many seasoned cruisers with a wealth of knowledge on here...if you don't like my question for whatever reason..move on.

I also don't know why you assume I didn't question this person...

Sorry, but if your asking us whether what "someone" said is true or not, you ARE asking us to pass judgment...specifically on the validity of the unsourced claim.

Perhaps it is YOU who is making a simple question into something else. It would have been much easier, and better board manners, to provide a link in your origingal post.

There is a possibility that you misunderstood what "someone" said or that it was taken out of context. Without being able to see the original statement, nobody could give you an accurate opinion as to its validity.

Yes...there are many seasoned cruisers here....and many of us know better than to try to answer the "someone said" questions without seeing the source. That is something you learn on the way to becoming "seasoned".

FWIW...the assumption that you didn't question the person was made because a) you never indicated that you did, and b) if you had, then you would have your answer already. Besides...if you had questioned them, then that conversation would also be relevant and should be shared along with the original quote.

That said, IF for whatever reason, you don't like my answer...move on. :)

Whoever came up with that one could win a prize for the most unbelieable story ever told and no, the service is anything but mediocre. Like any ship or any restaurant, there may be an occassional crew member that doesn't give the best service or isn't in the best mood all the time, but overall the Sun has good service. I don't think there is such a thing as one ship used for training.

Agree..that is why I came to CC..to ask...those who have more knowledge than myself. I wasnt questioning the service... I think some people just like to complain.. I have always had great cruises.. not always perfect..but what in life is??

I wonder if they would hire a 53 year old engineer.

Or a 46 year old paraeducator... Im sure its hard work but maybe one 8 month stint on the seas would be nice...sure sounds good when its below zero outside!!

I have had the pleasure to sail aboard the Sun enough to know several of her crew, and I know they have taken crew members off the Sun as crew for taking our the new builds coming out of Germany. I've never heard anything about it being a training ship and that would really surprise me. However, I will ask the crew I know in three weeks when I board the Sun again, and post it here.;)

Great!! Not that it matters..but now Im really curious. It just doesnt seem probable that one ship would be the "training" ship. All this talk makes want to cruise right now..

Or a 46 year old paraeducator... Im sure its hard work but maybe one 8 month stint on the seas would be nice...sure sounds good when its below zero outside!!

In most billets, you would hardly know you were at sea, and not just in some large building. And if you think the passenger cabins are small, think how the crew bring 8 months of gear into a smaller cabin with 3 other strangers.

Great!! Not that it matters..but now Im really curious. It just doesnt seem probable that one ship would be the "training" ship. All this talk makes want to cruise right now..

On the other hand, I have actually (by coincidence) been on a NCL cruise on different ships both when the Breakaway and when the Getaway was brand new, and have experienced first hand that the "older" ship had very many less experienced newcomers on the ship, since many of the experienced crew had transferred to the new ship. So that is something I try to avoid now, to go on a cruise on an older ship during the first couple of months of a new ships "life". ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

In most billets, you would hardly know you were at sea, and not just in some large building. And if you think the passenger cabins are small, think how the crew bring 8 months of gear into a smaller cabin with 3 other strangers.

Oh I know... but a girl can dream lol...

Oh I know... but a girl can dream lol...

I had 3rd engineers who rated a junior single cabin (shared shower and toilet with adjoining single). These cabins, you could stand in the middle and with outstretched arms touch all 4 walls. These guys would not only spend multiple contracts in a row onboard, but would bring their wives so that two of them would share a single bed in these tiny cabins. It always amazed me.

I had 3rd engineers who rated a junior single cabin (shared shower and toilet with adjoining single). These cabins, you could stand in the middle and with outstretched arms touch all 4 walls. These guys would not only spend multiple contracts in a row onboard, but would bring their wives so that two of them would share a single bed in these tiny cabins. It always amazed me.

Wow. I cant even imagine!

We know NCL likes to start its new ships with veteran crew. However, often after those initial contracts crew return to ships all throughout the fleet. I always enjoy talking with crew members to see where they came from and where they are going (in life on and off ships) and quite frequently if crew members mention getting to rank preferences they mention wanting to go to the Sun or Sky. Some like the smaller ships, different itineraries, etc. I think it depends on how each person works and what they're doing. Still, some like the new ships since living quarters are nicer and often times more private.

So I don't think the answer can be as simple as the older ships are training ships. It's a mixed bag of sorts.

I have had the pleasure to sail aboard the Sun enough to know several of her crew, and I know they have taken crew members off the Sun as crew for taking our the new builds coming out of Germany. I've never heard anything about it being a training ship and that would really surprise me. However, I will ask the crew I know in three weeks when I board the Sun again, and post it here.;)

You bring up a good point: I now remember, being on the Jewel's first sailing, from London to the USA. The majority of the crew were from the Sun and why? According a couple of crew members (not from the Sun) the company choose Sun crew members because they were rated the top crew in the fleet at the time.

You will also find that many of the crew members form friendships and want to stay with their friends on whatever ship they transfer to. That can have an impact on how they perform their jobs, but most have the professionalism to overcome their personal disappointments when separated from their friends.

On the other hand, I have actually (by coincidence) been on a NCL cruise on different ships both when the Breakaway and when the Getaway was brand new, and have experienced first hand that the "older" ship had very many less experienced newcomers on the ship, since many of the experienced crew had transferred to the new ship. So that is something I try to avoid now, to go on a cruise on an older ship during the first couple of months of a new ships "life". ;)

That is Sooo true !!

I remember talking to my rest. manager friend then and he said they had 117 newbie's come aboard .

And a some of the trainees were seasick making things short handed .

Edited by biker@sea

You bring up a good point: I now remember, being on the Jewel's first sailing, from London to the USA. The majority of the crew were from the Sun and why? According a couple of crew members (not from the Sun) the company choose Sun crew members because they were rated the top crew in the fleet at the time.

All of the good things said about the crew and more. Sun crew one of the best, most accomadating...cd rick good, HD Brian a fine gentleman, etc. Last sailed 4/14 so. carib, next 4/12 w. carib. Can't wait.