Cookies and snacks

SugarRush

There is fruit out during meals at the buffet.

Gather some for healthy snacks.

I think that you can probably get it from room service too.

Sometimes there is no low fat salad dressing available on the buffet.

You may want to bring some packets if that makes a difference to you.

In the dining room the dressing is served on the side, so if you use the dip the fork method you won't use much.

I eat salad in the dining room whenever it is offered and drink lots of water.

If you are salt sensitive, watch the soups.

Room service also has crunchy veggies with dip.

And salad, I believe.

The soft serve yogurt is fat free, but it does have sugar.

Edited by mzloolue

As others have posted, cookies available during buffet opening times, as well as room service. Also, at the specialty coffee shop there will be cookies available for a small fee. I think under 2.00, and they will be substantial cookies like all the cakes and desserts in that display case. I personally have not yet tried them, but if all else fails, there are these.:)

The choc chip cookies from the coffee shop are soooo good! I would pretty much buy one every day - well worth the cost in my opinion! :D

And if you just want a light lunch, Carnival always has a nice salad bar out at lunch (and supper) on Lido, and you can also look for the soup pot on the buffet too. Carnival makes some wonderful homemade soups that would make a nice light meal.

Love the Minestrone soup too!

I have also gotten a scoop of tuna salad from deli and added to a green salad for a lite lunch. I have not yet tried it but someone also posted using hard boiled eggs or eggs from salad bar and some mayo from deli to create egg salad.

For "unhealthy option" a carton of milk and some soft serve= milk shake.

(Vanilla or choc milk and choc soft serve combo.)

Thank you so much guys. Yes I'm a first time cruiser so it's all new to me [emoji4]

I always carry zip lock bags in my bag anyways so looks like they will come in handy. I don't mind parting with a few bucks for a nice cake or cookie either so I'll bear the coffee bar in mind when I want a treat. I drink a lot of coffee anyway.

BigB002 thank you for that tip, as its free apart from the tip I wouldn't have thought I could add it to the account [emoji106] although the only thing is do they definitely get that tip or is it pooled?

So much to learn [emoji4]

They get the tip. The thing about tip sharing, if positions do it, method of payment doesn't matter. Crew members don't stiff the people they spend 24 hours a day with working and living.

One of the first things we do when we get onboard is to order room service for about 3 orders of cookies. We put the cookies in a gallon size ziplock bag and eat them all week. The other big advantage to this is they come on a tray with a plate cover. We save this plate cover by stashing it away in a drawer when we are not using it. Then, any time we want to go to the lido buffet and bring back a plate of food, we take it with us to cover the plate.

I love idea of the cover..won't feel like such a "squirrel" in elevator carry food items back to cabin. I did read somewhere since the buffet loss of trays -someone suggested using room service tray too. Still mulling that one over.

I have ordered the cheese plate to go when eating in the MDR. That way I can have cheese and wine in my room as I retire. You can bring one 750 ml bottle of wine on board per passenger.

Alas, no boiled peanuts on board!

Edited by mawvkysc

Also, you can ask you room steward to remove your mini fridge items so you can have it as a fridge.

We learnt from other cruisers to have ziplock bags with us so we stored some breakfast rolls and cold meats/cheeses (from breakfast) etc in bags in our fridge as well as cold pizza (I adore cold pizza...do not ask why) and juices from breakfast (they stop free juice in the day).I also had a pasta salad that I could not eat after bringing it from Lido in there. We also bought crisps and chocolate in port.

Room service is obviously easier but if you want certain things... :D

I make my own reserve snack bar too. It gives you full control over the goodies. I always grab a few bananas as soon as you see them or they'll be non existent later in the cruise. And yes, to cold pizza;)

the only thing i am disappointed about is there is no good place to get potato chips/pretzels or similar snacks on the ship unless you get a sandwich from room service

Yes - their salty snack options are limited. I am a salty snack person so I bring a can of salted peanuts and sometimes some pretzels. You can bring these on with no problems, but remember that you are not take them off the ship in ports unless they are in single serve packages.

I also heard about the bananas. If you like them, get several at the beginning of the cruise becuase they will be gone or bad by the end. You can put them in the mini fridge and they will last the whole cruise.

I would say the best thing to do before you go is to read a lot of threads on this board. I also read pretty much all the FAQ on Carnival's website. Better to know too much than not enough! Study they ships layout before you go and try and become somewhat familiar with where everything is in relation to your cabin.

Yes - their salty snack options are limited. I am a salty snack person so I bring a can of salted peanuts and sometimes some pretzels. You can bring these on with no problems, but remember that you are not take them off the ship in ports unless they are in single serve packages.

I also heard about the bananas. If you like them, get several at the beginning of the cruise becuase they will be gone or bad by the end. You can put them in the mini fridge and they will last the whole cruise.

I would say the best thing to do before you go is to read a lot of threads on this board. I also read pretty much all the FAQ on Carnival's website. Better to know too much than not enough! Study they ships layout before you go and try and become somewhat familiar with where everything is in relation to your cabin.

Where do you store them if you Don't have a mini fridge?

Where do you store them if you Don't have a mini fridge?

Good question. I would think you could still just keep them in your room. They may get darker as the week goes along, but bananas should keep for close to a week. I buy them at the store on Saturdays and they last through Friday, sometimes Saturday. But, if you can get greener ones the first day.

The coffee bar has a fantastic cheesecake and a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. We finally tried this on our last cruise==we have been missing something great! One piece is plenty big enough for two people. And at $2.59 it is cheap! They also have chocolate covered strawberries and other desserts. My husband loved the cheesecake and I of course loved the carrot cake. They will give you two forks and a cover for the plate. It was a great night snack. This was our ninth cruise and the first time we bought from the coffee bar. :)

For kids, I pick up a couple of the individual cereal boxes from the lido buffet.

They can eat them dry or with room service milk. Seems a lot of kids like lucky charms dry or cheerios for the toddlers. I also do fruit and crackers from the buffet. I order from room service sometimes too but it can be a long wait especially late night. I have waited as much as an hour. Always good to have a snack on hand.

the only thing i am disappointed about is there is no good place to get potato chips/pretzels or similar snacks on the ship unless you get a sandwich from room service

I was on Carnival Triumph March 2nd, and for the first time ever they had potato chips at the deli. They ran out on day 10 of our 12 day cruise.

You don't need a bunch of dollar bills in order to tip for room service or any service. You sign when you get room service even though there won't be a cost and there is a line to add a tip. Of course, cash is acceptable but don't worry about always having cash. I don't like traveling with a lot of cash, it makes me nervous.

This may vary by ship... we did not sign for our room service on the Valor.

I like the eat light or nibble versus a meal sometimes and the buffet area has plenty of snack options. There is fruit, a salad bar where you can get some cucumbers and ranch dressing. And of course dessert offerings.