I know this is cruise critic but....

Again, we are new to RCL, first cruise in May. With that said, here is one of the things I have read but don't understand: You pay the premium charge of $39pp to go to Chops Grille, but once inside your told that the "best steaks" are the dry aged ones that come with an additional price of $18pp. Question: did you go to Chops for a great meal and if the answer is yes, would you settle for the lesser steak? of course not so there you are, liking walking onto a used car lot being shown the car on sale only to be shown the higher priced car. We'll find out ourselves in May if this is the case.

In both cases you don't have to buy either. Do the research prior and know what you want or can afford. I go on one cruise a year with my wife because of our work schedules and kids in school. I save and splurge and it's worth it to me. I don't have to cook, clean and I'm entertained. It would cost more to fly from island to island and stay in a hotel and pay for all of my meals and drinks. That's how I look at it. It's affordable and the service has been great when I have sailed. At Chops paying $39 for a steak, sides and dessert is nothing. There are places on land that charge way more than that.

What services were cutback? Most of time I here people complain about getting rid of the free lobster and a mint on the pillow.

The MDR waitstaff are covering more tables. Dinner now regularly takes significantly longer to serve with waits of 15-20 minutes between finishing one course and the arrival of the next. When the food finally does arrive it is sometimes lukewarm by the time it gets to your table. On our last cruise we asked for coffee with dessert: on four of the seven nights the coffee either never came or arrived as we were getting up to leave. They are being asked to do too much and things are falling through the cracks. The Stateroom Attendants take care of more rooms. Fewer towel animals, morning room make up sometimes not done until 11:00. On one sea day our room wasn't made up until 1:00pm. One of the things we value about cruising has been the stepped up level of service, but it feels more and more like dinner at Outback and a night at a Holiday Inn Express. Then of course there are the increased charges that are far outpacing inflation. $40 pp EXTRA for Chops! $10 for a scotch and soda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In both cases you don't have to buy either. Do the research prior and know what you want or can afford. I go on one cruise a year with my wife because of our work schedules and kids in school. I save and splurge and it's worth it to me. I don't have to cook, clean and I'm entertained. It would cost more to fly from island to island and stay in a hotel and pay for all of my meals and drinks. That's how I look at it. It's affordable and the service has been great when I have sailed. At Chops paying $39 for a steak, sides and dessert is nothing. There are places on land that charge way more than that.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE with you. What is considered a great deal for you, may be a little over my budget. If you are good with the $39pp and or the up sell of an additional $18pp, making it $57pp for a steak, you should go for it and enjoy every bite. I think for me it would be the "Up Sell" thing. Personally, if I were told that the New York Strip is a good steak BUT the New York Strip Dry Aged ($18 more) is the best, I would almost feel like I was cheating myself and my wife by going for the lesser. Just make them all dry aged and charge the $57 right from the beginning.

The MDR waitstaff are covering more tables. Dinner now regularly takes significantly longer to serve with waits of 15-20 minutes between finishing one course and the arrival of the next. When the food finally does arrive it is sometimes lukewarm by the time it gets to your table. On our last cruise we asked for coffee with dessert: on four of the seven nights the coffee either never came or arrived as we were getting up to leave. They are being asked to do too much and things are falling through the cracks. The Stateroom Attendants take care of more rooms. Fewer towel animals, morning room make up sometimes not done until 11:00. On one sea day our room wasn't made up until 1:00pm. One of the things we value about cruising has been the stepped up level of service, but it feels more and more like dinner at Outback and a night at a Holiday Inn Express. Then of course there are the increased charges that are far outpacing inflation. $40 pp EXTRA for Chops! $10 for a scotch and soda.

Good examples. It's more than just lobster and mints:rolleyes: Here's another: A few years ago there was plenty of help in Windjammer. Now it is CLEARLY cut back. Not enough to go around and ask if people want drinks, hardly enough to keep up clearing tables. These things DO affect the cruise and are not trivial, and amount to more than missing a mint or chocolate on the pillow...................:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I don't see Royal winning with having 5-10 minute waits in between courses and 15-20. If it's too short I'm sure people will complain they aren't done with the food and being rushed and if it's too long then it's I'm starving where's the food and it's lukewarm. I've never waited tables or cooked for thousands of people but I'm sure it's just as stressful on them. I've had to wait for a drink in the MDR and sometimes it hasn't come. I look around and see full tables of cruisers and then I understand it may take a while or they forgot which is still cool. That one drink won't mess up my dinner or experience because I still don't have to cook or clean. I'm positive the service in Chops is way better since it's less cruisers to deal with so you can get the "attention" and service that's desired.

By the way I'm not attacking you just having a friendly conversation and sharing my opinion.

It does suck that prices go up but like I mentioned before its across the board on everything we pay for nowadays.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE with you. What is considered a great deal for you, may be a little over my budget. If you are good with the $39pp and or the up sell of an additional $18pp, making it $57pp for a steak, you should go for it and enjoy every bite. I think for me it would be the "Up Sell" thing. Personally, if I were told that the New York Strip is a good steak BUT the New York Strip Dry Aged ($18 more) is the best, I would almost feel like I was cheating myself and my wife by going for the lesser. Just make them all dry aged and charge the $57 right from the beginning.

For me, I would just eat the New York strip, sides, dessert and I would be happy with that honestly. I'm pretty easy person to please. I do my research prior to so I already know what I want anyway and if I gotta pay the extra money then so be it. It's my choice to eat there and Royal isn't forcing me to eat there it's just an option.

For me, I would just eat the New York strip, sides, dessert and I would be happy with that honestly. I'm pretty easy person to please. I do my research prior to so I already know what I want anyway and if I gotta pay the extra money then so be it. It's my choice to eat there and Royal isn't forcing me to eat there it's just an option.

We are the same way, research everything. We have already made a list of the dining venues we absolutely want to go to, what shows and shore excursions. We are experienced at saying "No Thank You" when it comes to up selling, pictures, drinks and other things.

Good examples. It's more than just lobster and mints:rolleyes: Here's another: A few years ago there was plenty of help in Windjammer. Now it is CLEARLY cut back. Not enough to go around and ask if people want drinks, hardly enough to keep up clearing tables. These things DO affect the cruise and are not trivial, and amount to more than missing a mint or chocolate on the pillow...................:rolleyes:

Before when there was "more" staff I'm sure people still complained about clearing tables. My point is Royal can't win with everybody but they seem to be winning with most. I don't plan on being waited on at every meal. I'm proactive so I grab my drink before I get there knowing there is less staff. You can win if you choose to. I choose to win so if I have to walk to a nearby convenient bar then that's what I'm going to do to win. My cruise won't be ruined because I couldn't get a drink or a table wasn't wiped off in a timely manner.

We are the same way, research everything. We have already made a list of the dining venues we absolutely want to go to, what shows and shore excursions. We are experienced at saying "No Thank You" when it comes to up selling, pictures, drinks and other things.

Exactly there's nothing wrong with saying No Thanks and moving on to the next option. Enjoy your next cruise!

Before when there was "more" staff I'm sure people still complained about clearing tables. My point is Royal can't win with everybody but they seem to be winning with most. I don't plan on being waited on at every meal. I'm proactive so I grab my drink before I get there knowing there is less staff. You can win if you choose to. I choose to win so if I have to walk to a nearby convenient bar then that's what I'm going to do to win. My cruise won't be ruined because I couldn't get a drink or a table wasn't wiped off in a timely manner.

Once again I agree with you. True story; first cruise got onboard and went straight to the buffet for lunch; place was packed (tighter then a man with a waist of 45 in a size 38 trouser); we went through the buffet line and walked around for 10 minutes looking for a seat; got so frustrated put our trays down and went to our cabin (I'll show them, I'll just go hungry). We quickly realized that we had paid for a balcony room and on the balcony guess what we found, a private table and chairs just for two! Back to the buffet, food in hand, back to our private balcony and what an enjoyable lunch we had. It really is true, you can make lemonade out of lemons!

I don't see Royal winning with having 5-10 minute waits in between courses and 15-20. If it's too short I'm sure people will complain they aren't done with the food and being rushed and if it's too long then it's I'm starving where's the food and it's lukewarm. I've never waited tables or cooked for thousands of people but I'm sure it's just as stressful on them. I've had to wait for a drink in the MDR and sometimes it hasn't come. I look around and see full tables of cruisers and then I understand it may take a while or they forgot which is still cool. That one drink won't mess up my dinner or experience because I still don't have to cook or clean. I'm positive the service in Chops is way better since it's less cruisers to deal with so you can get the "attention" and service that's desired.

By the way I'm not attacking you just having a friendly conversation and sharing my opinion.

It does suck that prices go up but like I mentioned before its across the board on everything we pay for nowadays.

The thing is, they used to get it right, now they don't. I have high expectations of Royal; they set the bar that high. Now, they are missing that mark with greater and greater frequency. AND they're increasing my cost! Paying more and getting less isn't going to work for the long term.

I suppose I'm a 'loyal royal' too, after just one cruise. For our next trip it was between 7 nights on NCL Getaway or 6 on Navigator, with NOS being $100 more per person. But we went with RCL again. There was just something about the Getaway that I wasn't completely sold on. For a 6 day vacation it's still a great value and now that we've rearranged our priorities a bit, the $10k+ vacations are on the back burner.

I have often wondered if RCI sprinkles some kind of "loyal to us only magic dust" on some folks as they board... It makes me chuckle when I read people's posts that are so very loyal to royal. I have friends that are just that, and we cruise with these friends often, so I end up on Royal myself for the most part, and I do like them, but I don't like them any better or any less than any other line I have sailed. I have been on Carnival, Disney and NCL in addition to Royal, and so far they all have things they do very well, and they all have things that could use improvement, Royal most certainly included. BUT, to me, they are all more alike than different. And, variety is the spice of life, so I enjoy jumping around to other lines. It isn't like any of the loyalty programs really offer much. And for Royal these days, the premium price you pay to sail on them you could buy yourself a REALLY nice welcome aboard gift.... for what you paid to earn yours.... LOL!

I just want to heed the call of the ocean, and enjoy my vacation... any line that can help me do that from a convenient port, visiting the places that appeal to me, at a good price works for me!

At the end of the day those of us that are able to cruise, in any which way way we want, one line or on many different lines, are lucky enough.

Happy sailing!

Edited by live2vayk

Once again I agree with you. True story; first cruise got onboard and went straight to the buffet for lunch; place was packed (tighter then a man with a waist of 45 in a size 38 trouser); we went through the buffet line and walked around for 10 minutes looking for a seat; got so frustrated put our trays down and went to our cabin (I'll show them, I'll just go hungry). We quickly realized that we had paid for a balcony room and on the balcony guess what we found, a private table and chairs just for two! Back to the buffet, food in hand, back to our private balcony and what an enjoyable lunch we had. It really is true, you can make lemonade out of lemons!

You found a way to win and you chose to win! The pants thing was funny lol

Well said

I have often wondered if RCI sprinkles some kind of "loyal to us only magic dust" on some folks as they board... It makes me chuckle when I read people's posts that are so very loyal to royal. I have friends that are just that, and we cruise with these friends often, so I end up on Royal myself for the most part, and I do like them, but I don't like them any better or any less than any other line I have sailed. I have been on Carnival, Disney and NCL in addition to Royal, and so far they all have things they do very well, and they all have things that could use improvement, Royal most certainly included. BUT, to me, they are all more alike than different. And, variety is the spice of life, so I enjoy jumping around to other lines. It isn't like any of the loyalty programs really offer much. And for Royal these days, the premium price you pay to sail on them you could buy yourself a REALLY nice welcome aboard gift.... for what you paid to earn yours.... LOL!

I just want to heed the call of the ocean, and enjoy my vacation... any line that can help me do that from a convenient port, visiting the places that appeal to me, at a good price works for me!

At the end of the day those of us that are able to cruise, in any which way way we want, one line or on many different lines, are lucky enough.

Happy sailing!

I think vacations destinations in general generate a semi-cult following. My parents have a condo near Sarasota. Certainly not the nicest most glamorous place on the beach, and definitely not the cheapest option either. But there are tons of people who have been vacationing there for 20+ years solid. The same with the families that only vacation at Disney. Or the people that exclusively go on ski vacations. People know what you like, and some people don't want to risk their valuable vacation time and money on the potential of staying somewhere or doing something they don't enjoy as much as the old faithful option. Just my $0.02.

Apparently RCL is getting it right....how come they are building the most new ships? if everyone is leaving for other lines do you think they would do this? If it is so bad why week after week they have ships with 5000 or more passengers on them! People like RCL for way more reasons than every penny that is spent.

People know what you like, and some people don't want to risk their valuable vacation time and money on the potential of staying somewhere or doing something they don't enjoy as much as the old faithful option. Just my $0.02.

Agreed! My friends need "tried and true" to enjoy themselves. I like to mix things up to enjoy myself. All personal preference.

Edited by live2vayk

Wow.... judgmental much?

Why are YOU posting at 6:52 on a Saturday morning, DirtyDawg? Why do YOU care what others are saying?:

But I don't care what others are saying. They can say or :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: all they want.

And if they have an opinion that is different than mine I don't consider them 'Haters', just ill informed.:D

I was just amazed the OP got up early this morning and just had to say it.;)

It's all in a name; the OP's screen name and the name of this board.

RCI a has changed immensely in the past 18 years and not for the better. there is not enough a staff and they certainly don't seem as happy as they used to. They are overworked and grossly underpaid. We will continue to sail with Royal, but are seriously considering NCL for 2017....8 cabins, 6 of which we will be paying for.

It's not just Royal that's increases prices it's everything we purchase nowadays. Cell phones, cell phone plans, gas, cars, groceries, homes etc! Seems like prices will go up regardless you just have to choose if you want to pay the increase or not.

Not everything is going up. What price are you paying for gasoline vs. last year? Natural Gas? Russian Vodka? (the rubble has dropped by half vs. the $US over the past year) If fact the US inflation rate for the twelve months ending Jan. 15 was -.1% That's a negative ie. deflation - prices went down! Over the past two years the inflation rate has only been around 1.5% per year. And in this era of very low or no inflation Royal is increasing drink prices by up to 40%!

As you say, if people don't like some of their cruise costs going up 20% or 40% they can go somewhere else. I have. We were going to book Royal for a Fall cruise but now it will probably be a land based vacation. Royal's loss, our gain.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Not everything is going up. What price are you paying for gasoline vs. last year? Natural Gas? Russian Vodka? (the rubble has dropped by half vs. the $US over the past year) If fact the US inflation rate for the twelve months ending Jan. 15 was -.1% That's a negative ie. deflation - prices went down! Over the past two years the inflation rate has only been around 1.5% per year. And in this era of very low or no inflation Royal is increasing drink prices by up to 40%!

As you say, if people don't like some of their cruise costs going up 20% or 40% they can go somewhere else. I have. We were going to book Royal for a Fall cruise but now it will probably be a land based vacation. Royal's loss, our gain.

Don't think Royal is losing by satisfying the majority. They are finding ways to win and people continue to pay. I paid less for my cruise this year than I paid last year. It is what it is, but your "spot" will most likely be filled on that fall cruise that you're not booking.

I have only completed three cruises and have our fourth cruise booked on the Oasis (the first time on Oasis) for Dec. Our first cruise was celebrity and rest are RCCL. I think each cruise can have their own good things as well as issues. Just like your favorite restaurant can have good and bad nights. Personally, we like the Freedom class of ships because they are, so far, the ships where I have the least amount of seasickness. I'm unfortunately the only one in our family and group of friends with this issue...so I tough it out. I would love to try NCL, but their ship beams are not as wide and I have found that the wider beams and the lower deck plus mid ship help.

Again, each cruise can be as great as you want to make of it regardless of the cruise line. The thing to remember, at least for us, is having a great time being with friends and family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't think Royal is losing by satisfying the majority. They are finding ways to win and people continue to pay. I paid less for my cruise this year than I paid last year. It is what it is, but your "spot" will most likely be filled on that fall cruise that you're not booking.

We'll see. But if RCL keeps on lowering quality and trying to raise overall cruising costs it might be going down a path where more customers leave than new customers buy. It's happened before in lots of industries and it might be happening here. Remember when Blackberry and Nokia were the smartphone leaders? GM ignored quality concerns and their customers for a long time and look what happened to it, one of the biggest Chapter 11's in U.S. history. Target is closing all their stores in Canada only two years after their big opening here because they didn't give their customers what their customers expected. The list goes on and on. Will RCL join that list, who knows.

Hey, when Coke introduced that mega disaster, New Coke, years ago they realized their error and quickly returned to the old formula their customer actually wanted to buy. Will RCL be smart enough to recognize the error of their ways today? Time, and lost revenue and profit will tell.

Edited by DirtyDawg