Friend Purchasing a FCD on our Behalf

A friend of ours is taking a HAL cruise in three weeks. There is a HAL cruise that my wife and I, both HAL Mariners, will be taking this year. Presently my wife and I have two FCDs for a 7-10 day cruise but the one we will be taking next is for 32 days.

Our question, can our friend, while on board her HAL cruise, purchase on our behalf:

• Two FCDs for this longer cruise
  • And/or book the cruise on our behalf?

I called HAL directly and was told that this would not be possible yet, on the HAL web site, came across this:

"Q: Can my friends and family members book a future cruise with Holland America’s Reduced Deposit offer?"

"A: Absolutely! All you need to do is make and deposit their bookings while you are on board. Your friends and family will also receive up to $200 per person in Shipboard Credit. Your Future Cruise Consultant will have all the details."

Here's the link to the HAL document: www.hollandamerica.com/.../FCC_Special_Pre-Cruise_Notice_Template_ AP16870.pdf

Anyone know for sure what is or isn't "do-able" based on recent experience? Thank you!

Our question, can our friend, while on board her HAL cruise, purchase on our behalf:

• Two FCDs for this longer cruise
  • And/or book the cruise on our behalf?

I purchased FCD deposits for friends on a recent cruise, so yes it can be done and is very easy if mariner numbers are available. If you don't have the mariner number it is a little more difficult, but still do able. Another consideration is that the FCDs you already have can be "topped off" to use for the longer cruise. I have done that as well.

I don't know if someone on board can actually book a cruise for someone else, but I would suspect that would only be possible if the person on board was part of the booking party.

We bought a Future Cruise Credit for our daughter on our last cruise - she's pretty friendly! We didn't know her Mariner number, either that didn't matter, or she could look it up, I can't remember. We did need to give her full name, as they have her on their records.

We have done this. What's even cooker is our friends are Dutch and they can't buy FCDs. They received an email from HAL about the purchase while not knowing we were going to surprise then and had no idea they could use it.

It was great!

Yes, we can buy FCD's for friends and family even if they are not aboard.

In a perfect world, it's best to have their Mariner Number to help avoid there being any mistakes made.

We, too, have purchased FCD for family & friends. The FCD's don't have to be the higher dollar amount anymore. At time of booking, HAL just charges you the FCD dollar balance difference for the longer cruise and you still receive all the benefits of using your FCD.

I don't know if someone on board can actually book a cruise for someone else, but I would suspect that would only be possible if the person on board was part of the booking party.

In a perfect world, it's best to have their Mariner Number to help avoid there being any mistakes made.

I booked my DB and DSiL on their very first cruise (on any line) while on board ... they were assigned Mariner numbers at that time. They didn't even have passports yet! IIRC besides their names and address I needed their birthdays. It wasn't until about three days later that I booked us on the same cruise.

Edited by jtl513