Grandeur - Disturbed by Recent Poor Reviews

I love the Grandeur and have sailed on her many times. I am booked again for April 10, 2015. I think like any particular cruise you go on there could be problems like maybe the people who were onboard when there was a norovirus had negative comments or whatever. I have always had the best time on Grandeur and had great service and friendly crew. I would not be concerned in the least about the few reviews that you read. Go, have a great time and form your own opinions! It is so easy to go out of Baltimore! That's a real plus for me.

We have cruised to Bermuda twice on Grandeur and were quite happy both times. We are booked again for August. The crew was always working, food was fine and ship was clean. Now if the people who display the "me first" attitude toward marking their pool lounges or getting on the elevators would knock it off, grandeur would be near perfect.

I sailed on her last April. We had Norovirus onboard but was taken care of professionally. The Windjammer was easy to use because a lot of people had to stay in their cabin. I will say that I myself was seasick the first night, I never had it on a cruise ship before but growing up on the NH coastline I know the Atlantic can be angry at times. Only one night of seasickness in twelve cruises is easy to accept. Overall the ship looked great the shows were good and the staff was fabulous. The smaller ships tend to give you lots of good attitude. I'd say go and enjoy.

Sharon

Edited by Sharon I

Have a Grandeur cruise coming up this weekend, so I took a look at the reviews.

I've been on this ship many times and always a great cruise.

I can't help wondering why all these recent 1 star reviews are written by CC members with few or no posts, and very little cruise experience. It makes me wonder if they board with expectations impossible to meet. I almost feel that CC should limit reviews to cruisers with at least 5 cruises under their belts. some recent comments: the Windjammer completely ran out of desserts on day 2, and was closed half the time - doubt the dessert thing, and did they know the WJ hours?; We walked into the MDR, and stood there for 10 minutes, no one helped us - well if you had a table, sit down, if you were in My Time, did you go to the desk to be seated?

Just typical - if you don't understand how your ship works any more than that, don't write a review.

I'm booked to go on the Grandeur in October. However I'm disturbed by the recent spate of poor reviews posted on CruiseCritic.

The last 10 reviews have given overall ratings (between 1 and 5) of 1, 1, 1, 1, 4, 3, 4, 2, 3, 5. That's terrible. At this point I'm not going to cancel my trip but if the reviews don't pick up I'm going to seriously consider it.

We were on her in January. We have been on over 70 cruises and thought the Grandeur was one of our best trips. But don't take my word for it. here is a youtube video of our trip...lots of ship photos and food pics and YES! Lots of pics of US. After all, it was OUR vacation trip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VdbjIwdl4

We were on her in January. We have been on over 70 cruises and thought the Grandeur was one of our best trips. But don't take my word for it. here is a youtube video of our trip...lots of ship photos and food pics and YES! Lots of pics of US. After all, it was OUR vacation trip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27VdbjIwdl4

Nice video - I'm loving it!

While I like Grandeur and her crew and have sailed her 4 times, the last on the 200 or so cases of norovirus trip, the ship is showing her age. The Solarium pool has fair amounts of visible rust in places and the Solarium hot tubs are a huge safety issue because of how the handrail is situated outside of the tub. 2 cruises ago, I saw a woman fall in spite of holding the hot tub handrail. She cut her forehead and upper arm badly from the fall and I saw other near-misses at those tubs, too. I have mentioned the issue on all of my after-cruise surveys but nothing has been done.

In our experience, Grandeur beds are old, compressed and should be replaced ASAP. Even with the foam topper, the beds are uncomfortable.

A Granduer cruise is a nice value and is so convenient. We had a wonderful time last May and are looking forward to our April embarkation,. She is the perfect size for us. As I remarked to senior officers during the Captain's party, she is built to last. They wholeheartedly agreed. I've never felt safer on a cruise ship.

This guy Philly Steve, he's been on lots of cruises. He knows what he's talking about.

R&D

• 3 months later...
Worst ship in the fleet!

Sent from my Commadore Pet! :D

I agree with Pumbaamd ! "Worst ship in the fleet"????? and you have been on her for at least 15 times? :eek:

In case biomedbob has forgotten: 9/2/2000 Grandeur of the Seas... 5/01/2004 Grandeur of the Seas... 1/15/2005 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/29/2006 Grandeur of the Seas... 5/6/2006 Grandeur of the Seas... 11/19/2006 Grandeur of the Seas... 2/3/2007 Grandeur of the Seas, 4/28/2007 Grandeur of the Seas... 5/5/2007 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/12/2008 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/19/2008 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/18/2009 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/25/2009 Grandeur of the Seas.... Grandeur of the Seas 10/16/2014 ... Grandeur of the Seas 10/15/2015

I usually don't cruise/travel in/to things that I don't like... may I suggest other cruises?:o

OR... I know, the DW wrote this entry.... LOL

Edited by silviaeaston

I agree with Pumbaamd ! "Worst ship in the fleet"????? and you have been on her for at least 15 times? :eek:

In case biomedbob has forgotten: 9/2/2000 Grandeur of the Seas... 5/01/2004 Grandeur of the Seas... 1/15/2005 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/29/2006 Grandeur of the Seas... 5/6/2006 Grandeur of the Seas... 11/19/2006 Grandeur of the Seas... 2/3/2007 Grandeur of the Seas, 4/28/2007 Grandeur of the Seas... 5/5/2007 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/12/2008 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/19/2008 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/18/2009 Grandeur of the Seas... 4/25/2009 Grandeur of the Seas.... Grandeur of the Seas 10/16/2014 ... Grandeur of the Seas 10/15/2015

I usually don't cruise/travel in/to things that I don't like... may I suggest other cruises?:o

OR... I know, the DW wrote this entry.... LOL

Geez, it's a joke. Biomedbob doesn't want everyone to find out how great the ship actually is . It's called, hoping to have the ship to himself. haha.

We love GR and are going on her again next year. So convenient.

Edited by BND

Geez, it's a joke. Biomedbob doesn't want everyone to find out how great the ship actually is . It's called, hoping to have the ship to himself. haha.

We love GR and are going on her again next year. So convenient.

Looking forward to the short drive from outside of Philly. Love not having to fly....K.O.:)

We're gearing up for our cruise to Alaska and so much of our preparation time and expense concerns airline flights and hotels. None of that will be necessary for our October cruise on Grandeur - drive to Baltimore, park, pick up the car eight days later.

Looking forward to the short drive from outside of Philly. Love not having to fly....K.O.:)

I know the feeling! I live in Alexandria (just south of DC) and left the house at 9:30. We were enjoying lunch in the Windjammer by 11:30.

No airfare, no parking costs (we had friends drop us off and pick us up), and no hotel stays. Made the trip oh so much more affordable!

I know the feeling! I live in Alexandria (just south of DC) and left the house at 9:30. We were enjoying lunch in the Windjammer by 11:30.

No airfare, no parking costs (we had friends drop us off and pick us up), and no hotel stays. Made the trip oh so much more affordable!

We're in Loudoun county and if we leave at 9:30, we're at the port by 10:45 and onboard asap. So, so easy. We've cruised out of Baltimore 5 times and the longest it's taken us to get there was March 2014 when it took 2 hours because rush hour was delayed because of school and work delays from a snow storm the day before.

Edited by BND

We're in Loudoun county and if we leave at 9:30, we're at the port by 10:45 and onboard asap. So, so easy. We've cruised out of Baltimore 5 times and the longest it's taken us to get there was March 2014 when it took 2 hours because rush hour was delayed because of school and work delays from a snow storm the day before.

I used to live in Loudoun County (in Ashburn over in Ashburn Village). We took 295 up to the port. We hit a bit of traffic, but still made decent time aboard. I would not hesitate to sail out of Baltimore again, especially on Grandeur.

Well, this must be Loudoun County time! I live in Brambleton and will be on the August 7 cruise to the Bahamas. I've never been on RC so this will be an experience and the best part is not having to catch a flight!

LOL. We live off Ryan Rd, not in Brambleton but on the east side of Belmont Ridge. We go to Blue Ridge Grill for dinner at least once or twice a month.

Edited by BND