Canadian/British Sectors Full Day Tour

Munday

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing early planning for shore excursions for a cruise next year and hope someone can provide some suggestions. My Wife and I will be in Le Havre aboard the Celebrity Silhouette in May/16.

We would like to visit the Canadian/British sectors on a full day tour. I noticed most tours from Le Havre by Coach are to the Omaha Beach and Cemetery. I'm reluctant to start organizing a small group tour with all that is involved. I'm also hesitant to do a rental car tour on our first trip to Europe.

Does anyone know of a company that does a bus tour from Le Havre to the Canadian/British sectors?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Munday

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing early planning for shore excursions for a cruise next year and hope someone can provide some suggestions. My Wife and I will be in Le Havre aboard the Celebrity Silhouette in May/16.

We would like to visit the Canadian/British sectors on a full day tour. I noticed most tours from Le Havre by Coach are to the Omaha Beach and Cemetery. I'm reluctant to start organizing a small group tour with all that is involved. I'm also hesitant to do a rental car tour on our first trip to Europe.

Does anyone know of a company that does a bus tour from Le Havre to the Canadian/British sectors?

Thanks in advance

I don't but I would think that the same tour companies, that do the US portion, could do a tour to the Canadian/British sectors instead if you ask them. Have you tried to email them? Even if that particular company doesn't, they may be able to recommend someone who will do the Canadian/British sectors.

Good luck!

Viator are offering a cruise excursion from Le Havre to Juno, Canadian cemetery & the Abbey d'Ardenne - scene of the prisoner atrocity.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Caen/Le-Havre-Shore-Excursion-Private-Day-Tour-of-the-Juno-Beach-Center-Canadian-Cemetery-and-Abbey-dArdenne/d5469-3193PRTJUNO

Viator are a booking agency, not a tour operator. From other experiences with them, I doubt anyone at Viator can give you more info than is on their website, but you could search the net using a few key words & mebbe find the actual operator.

But it does surprise me that I've not come across seat-in-bus D-Day tours from Le Havre mentioned on this forum, so I'm just a little sceptical.

Alternatively although you may not want to fix up a private van tour & seek sharers, you could keep an eye on your RollCall looking for others who might be doing so.

Or rent a car. It's perhaps one of the gentler introductions to driving in France - the route out of Le Havre is pretty simple, most of the mileage is on divided highway & the rest on coastal back-roads & lanes, you'll be at the Canadian beach before the Americans get to theirs, no town driving, pretty easy navigation. It ain't Paris ;)

Financially viable for just two of you, even better if you find a couple to share via your RollCall.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I'm on the August British Isles cruise..and we stop in La Havre.....I have attempted to start up a Canadian sector tour on our Roll Call...but with no success(some were interested...joined..then dropped out)...everyone wants to do the USA sectors..hopefully you will have better luck.....Our solution thus far has been to rent a car and will do it on our own......you wil find my thread on that just a few down.....Best of luck

Edited by flames9

Thanks for all the good advice.

I did contact Overlord Tours. They don't operate a Canadian/British Sectors coach tour out of Le Havre. They also couldn't direct me to a Tour Operator that did. When I did a mock booking through Viator, the price is based on a van of 8 passengers, ie: for 2 passengers, approx $550 CAD per person.

Luckily, we do have lots of time before our cruise to explore our options.

Edited by Munday

Thanks for all the good advice.

I did contact Overlord Tours. They don't operate a Canadian/British Sectors coach tour out of Le Havre. They also couldn't direct me to a Tour Operator that did. When I did a mock booking through Viator, the price is based on a van of 8 passengers, ie: for 2 passengers, approx $550 CAD per person.

Luckily, we do have lots of time before our cruise to explore our options.

http://www.label-west.fr/en#page does a Canadian sector tour...Thiunk it was around 700 euro for a van of 8....but they had a hefty cancellation fee, but they said that could be worked on. lady I was chatting with via email was very nice and professional

Keep in mind....a van of 8 will be crowded! label west and overlord both stated that and 6 is a better #. The back has 2 rows..3 people in each and 2 have to go up with the driver!!

If u go onto trip adviser and search out Normandy tours, you will find quite a few tour operators.

The more I think about....the rental car way is to go..which we have reserved for our Aug cruise..prices are in my post a few below....

Edited by flames9

I'm on the August British Isles cruise..and we stop in La Havre.....I have attempted to start up a Canadian sector tour on our Roll Call...but with no success(some were interested...joined..then dropped out)...everyone wants to do the USA sectors..hopefully you will have better luck.....Our solution thus far has been to rent a car and will do it on our own......you wil find my thread on that just a few down.....Best of luck

Here's the link to flames9's Normandy thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2174914