Last minute booking

CT CRUZIN!

Hi all!

I live in CT. and love to cruise. My problem with planning sometimes it coordinating decent priced airfare. Although I wasn't planning on cruising last year I did some research.

I found that by booking airfare 6 months out (say for a Dec.sailing date) the airfare to FL was basically dirt cheap around $200 r/t.

I also saw cruise price drops like crazy closer to sailing date and could've hotter amazing deals on cabins including balconies.

So, my plan is to book the airfare early and just wait for deals (hopefully) 60-30 days out and book then. Maybe even a Pack and Go sweet deal.

Has any one else done anything similar?

It doesn't seem like a huge gamble to me. Or am I crazy?!

Thoughts?

I think it would be great fun to just kinda watch & see what you can get. :confused:

Just have a little idea of day's & port so you aren't flying home the day before your ship comes in. :eek:

I've been looking at airfare for the kids in Dec, Nov & am thinking book it now & find the cruise later since we know when they can come. ( age 54 & 50 ) KIDS ;)

I will get the travel insurance from the air line in case something happens or will book it with Swest bags fly free ( even this ol' bag ) & no change fee.

Char

Hi all!

I live in CT. and love to cruise. My problem with planning sometimes it coordinating decent priced airfare. Although I wasn't planning on cruising last year I did some research.

I found that by booking airfare 6 months out (say for a Dec.sailing date) the airfare to FL was basically dirt cheap around $200 r/t.

I also saw cruise price drops like crazy closer to sailing date and could've hotter amazing deals on cabins including balconies.

So, my plan is to book the airfare early and just wait for deals (hopefully) 60-30 days out and book then. Maybe even a Pack and Go sweet deal.

Thoughts?

I did this last year! We knew we wanted to go away in August. I booked my air on southwest out of Hartford to FLL when it came out with points. I watched the cruises out of MIA and FLL and ended up booking the breeze in a cove balcony for a little over 1,000 (using the discounted carnival gift cards on Verizon) I was nervous but it worked out. I didn't take that chance for our trip in April since we are flying to Puerto Rico, good thing! The prices on Liberty are higher than what I paid booking early saver!

Hi all!

Thoughts?

We live in ct also and can sympathize with the cost. That being said (and we do this a lot - not just for cruising) I think your cost estimates of airfare are low. I agree on booking airfare early as the best way to go. Waiting for pick and go rates might work, but you need to be really flexible on the ship, where it is going and what kind of room you get. For us, I want to choose where I go,on which ship and in what room.

To test your plan,pick a couple of ships, get pricing fairly far out and then again close in. See if there are good choices that fit with what you want to do.

Good luck

@lido deck Larry- exactly what I was thinking. Win-win situation!

@mommom- yes I was looking at a 6-7 day and made sure the plane didn't leave before the ship would get back LOL!!

Love booking S.W.! And yes, gotta get the insurance because well...Ya never know.

@ellie- good to hear it worked out in FL! That's very encouraging!

Love Liberty....and Puerto Rico!!

@Jimbo- I did check the airfare and could've gotten as low as $220 r/t including taxes.

Oh I was very diligent and did have 3 ships in early Dec that I had my eye on. Would've worked well in my case, but I had began a new job and knew I wouldn't have been able to get that time off. This year however......[emoji106]

@Jimbo- I did check the airfare and could've gotten as low as $220 r/t including taxes.

Oh I was very diligent and did have 3 ships in early Dec that I had my eye on. Would've worked well in my case, but I had began a new job and knew I wouldn't have been able to get that time off. This year however......[emoji106]

Those are great fares. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Interesting thread. I live in upstate New York so last minuet airfare to Florida can be quiet expensive. But like you said, you can get a great cruise rate by booking late. It's kinda a big gamble for me. And one I don't really feel like stressing over for 6 months. I'm interested to see what others have had to say and their success stories.

I also live in CT, but I have the choice of either PVD or BDL to fly out of ( both are 1 hr away) . Flights to Florida are typically cheaper from PVD thru SW, but to San Juan , BDL was cheaper with JB. I look at Southwest first , since there is no charge to change flights. Historically flights on SW have been the cheapest the first day the flights go on sale, so I try to buy the tickets then. If possible I book early saver for the cruise, so I can continue to get discounts until 48 hrs prior to the cruise. I always leave a day's buffer on the day of arrival in case anything happens. This has worked well for us so far. Good luck! Let's us know what worked for you.

Edited by Rock_ON!!

I booked our January cruise 2 weeks before leaving and just booked another cruise for end of March today... I find prices drop.. Also I always have 2 ships I am prepared to sail on and do monitor cabin availability. I think as long as you are firm with the cruise date...I agree you should buy air early on...especially during high travel periods (Spring break and Holidays)>

I do chuckle at individuals who book a year in advance... I would drive myself nuts knowing there is a cruise on the calendar but so far out!!

I am looking at the same cruise as you out of San Juan, but in August. I was originally looking at the same sailing date as you are sailing on, but unfortunately I was not quick enough to get the lower fares on SW when they first came out. You must have had better luck :D

So, I booked my flights for August and was planning on watching the prices for a bit. I am undecided as to whether I should book early saver or wait until closer to sailing time.

I have been watching the prices for the month of April just to get an idea of what fares I may have been able to get. Currently the lowest rate for an interior cabin is between $356-$369 from April 19th to May 10th. Would you mind sharing if the rate you booked with early saver was close to these current rates. As this is a port intensive cruise I am trying to keep costs down where I can.

Thanks,

I am looking at the same cruise as you out of San Juan, but in August. I was originally looking at the same sailing date as you are sailing on, but unfortunately I was not quick enough to get the lower fares on SW when they first came out. You must have had better luck :D

So, I booked my flights for August and was planning on watching the prices for a bit. I am undecided as to whether I should book early saver or wait until closer to sailing time.

I have been watching the prices for the month of April just to get an idea of what fares I may have been able to get. Currently the lowest rate for an interior cabin is between $356-$369 from April 19th to May 10th. Would you mind sharing if the rate you booked with early saver was close to these current rates. As this is a port intensive cruise I am trying to keep costs down where I can.

Thanks,

Hi, I booked a 4j on the lido deck for my 4/19 cruise out of San Juan back in September maybe October, total for 2 was $1,036 including the port charges. I also used carnival gift cards from verizon so that is the amount including the 10% savings. I haven't seen it cheaper since and of course all the 4j's sold out a few weeks ago so I'm done watching for price drops. I've been looking to upgrade to a balcony but can't see spending 400+ more to get into the guarantee pool and give up my 4j on lido!

I'm happy with 1036.00 for the week to some amazing ports! Plus I used Southwest points to book our flight, although I didn't have to pay for air, I used up a good chunk of my points to get to Puerto Rico.

OP I am doing somewhat the same thing as you.

not sure if one of my adult kids will be able to sail with me or not for cruise I'm considering in June.

I have air miles, so no big deal to book airfare then cancel.

worried about the ship's pricing increasing or the concert tix selling out

I did have price drops via the CCL program in the past and wound up with a couple of hundred $ credits. can't remember when the price drops started though.

was thinking of waiting until after final payment date, but know I won't be able to hold off too long to book, just too nervous lol.

Edited by keishashadow

Hi Ellie42699,

Thank you for sharing your pricing details. Would you mind giving me your opinion.... I normally book a room on the upper or empress deck, but for this cruise I don't really care about what room on what floor as long as its somewhere mid-ship. So, with this in mind, would you still book early saver or would you wait it out in case the price drops in other categories?

Thanks,

Hi Ellie42699,

Thank you for sharing your pricing details. Would you mind giving me your opinion.... I normally book a room on the upper or empress deck, but for this cruise I don't really care about what room on what floor as long as its somewhere mid-ship. So, with this in mind, would you still book early saver or would you wait it out in case the price drops in other categories?

Thanks,

Well, I'm certainly no expert, maybe someone with more experience can chime in. My opinion, since you don't care about floor or what room but want to be midship then I would still go ahead and book early saver, maybe in an interior midship, then watch for price drops because with early saver you can get the adjustment or onboard credit up until 2 days prior to sailing or upgrade to a higher category mid ship. Although I didn't get any price drops on my upcoming sailing with early saver, I'm happy knowing I got the lowest price for a cabin in the location I wanted. I'm still watching for an upgrade to a balcony but it better be a great deal! I've always wanted to be on the Lido deck so I'm going to have a hard time giving up that room to go anywhere else! You never know!! 34 more days to go! Good Luck!

Hi all!

Thoughts?

I'm kind of doing the same thing. I have my eye on a December cruise and willing to wait out the price. I already made my work arrangements to have the time off (sorry guys, I don't work at job that let's me take vacation whenever I feel like it...it's scheduled a whole year in advance). Airfare is not an issue working for an airline. So I'm waiting for one of those 48 hour sales.

Edited by gone_cruisin

I did something similar last December. The prices are usually dirt cheap the first 2 weeks of December. Bought my airfare on southwest so I could change my flight if I needed or keep a credit if I ended up not going. Watched cruises out of Ft Lauderdale and port Canaveral. Was looking at Carnival Freedom, Princess, or Royal Caribbean. Booked Freedom of the Seas for $329pp.

Looking at going on the Pride this July and am monitoring prices. If the price is right I will book last minute as I can drive to Baltimore easily.

Hi all!

Thoughts?

I live in CT too .I know exactly what you mean. I'm a big fan of JetBlue but we are flying BDL-FLL on Southwest in May to cruise the Victory ..We originally were just going to go to Orlando and stay at Disney, then after this winter we decided we needed the Caribbean I was able to change our flights on Southwest from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale and booked the cruise. I actually got a $6.00 credit per ticket because the flight to FLL was cheaper.. I would book Southwest Airlines because you get your 2 bags free and if your plans change they do not charge any change fees to change your dates or flights.. You would just pay a fare difference if any. In case you find a better cruise deal on another date.