How to pronounce Cunard??

bazzaw

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How about Mousehole in Cornwall? I believe it's pronounced Mowsel or something like that.

Hi Julie,

When we were last in Cornwall it was “Mohsel” from memory.  Let’s not go to some of our local names😕

24 minutes ago, FMAXROBs1- said:

The topic here is how herculean some make pronouncing Cunard.

Yes but after a decade of a thread, maybe a bit of frivolity is acceptable!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2015 at 2:23 PM, Salacia said:

LOL, what do "Americans do to English", this American asked the Australian?

BTW, there are approximately 321,362,789 people in the US. My suspicion is that some use the expression "I could care less [implication being - I could, but I can't be bothered] and some use the expression "I couldn't care less [implication being, I gave it some thought, but decided it wasn't worth caring about]. Subtle differences, perhaps, but with the same conclusion.:)

Oh oh, here comes the pedant with the English degree.  Sorry, but "could care less" means, strictly interpreted, "I care a lot".  In Australia, we actually do speak English as it's spoken in the United Kingdom, even if our vowels are more drawn out, and there are very subtle differences between States for the naming of certain items, particularly food, e.g. "potato cake" vs. "potato scallop".  The latter bears absolutely no resemblance to the delicious fruit of the sea.

If we say, as they do in England "I couldn't care less", it simply means I do not care at all, not even a smidgen, and so emphatic as to imply that I certainly have no need to give it some thought.

I do find the whole discussion fascinating, though, which wouldn't surprise my adult children at all.

The important thing is to have a civilised discussion, and a humorous one is a bonus.

• Like 3

The OP still seems to be around and amongst their current tally of 6,269 posts don't seem too bothered as to whether it remains on topic or not.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Unfortunately as this is a very old thread at least one of the participants isn't around to carry on the discussion.

I’m sorry to learn that.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:38 PM, D&N said:

The OP still seems to be around and amongst their current tally of 6,269 posts don't seem too bothered as to whether it remains on topic or not.

Yes, but the post I was responding to was addressed to Salacia who isn't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Yes, but the post I was responding to was addressed to Salacia who isn't. 

Sorry for any confusion, my comment wasn't meant to relate to yours.

Okay, well, since this thread was resurrected… I’ll bite.  My Dad’s first job was in Cunard headquarters in Liverpool.  Coincidentally, he mentioned them this morning and he pronounced it Kuh-nard, with the emphasis on the second syllable.

• Like 1