Debating Alaska with 1 and 4.5 year old

mintchoco_ykc

Hi. I'm debating doing an Alaska cruise with my 1 and 4.5 year old. I have a few questions.

1. The ports are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Can you recommend some suitable family excursions? Which places have a walkable town?

2. How cold is it in late August? We are from Toronto Canada. Is it really just the people from down south complaining about the weather?

3. Is it worth it to get a balcony or is an oceanview good enough? I hear some people complain it is too cold to stay out on balcony.

Thanks.

There are HUNDREDS of excursions and activities at every port. I think you need to do some research to determine which activities will best support your family's interests and priorities.

Borrow an Alaska travel book from your library to learn about each of the 3ports and what sights/activities are available at each. There are even books specific to Alaska cruises that discuss itineraries, excursions, DIY options, etc. Ann Vipond has "Alaska by cruiseship' and Fodor has 'Alaska ports of call'.

There are 50-60 detailed trip reports in a STICKY near the top of the page. Read thru a few of the family reports to get ideas about what worked and didn't work. The first line usually indicates the itinerary, date travelled, and who travelled. Quite a few family trips altho very few travelled with toddlers. Alaska is all about scenery which little kids don't appreciate or enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2076940

Hi. I'm debating doing an Alaska cruise with my 1 and 4.5 year old. I have a few questions.

1. The ports are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Can you recommend some suitable family excursions? Which places have a walkable town?

2. How cold is it in late August? We are from Toronto Canada. Is it really just the people from down south complaining about the weather?

3. Is it worth it to get a balcony or is an oceanview good enough? I hear some people complain it is too cold to stay out on balcony.

Thanks.

1. All the towns are walkable. I don't think excursions are in the cards for a one year old, though. Maybe rent a car and pace your touring to the baby's schedule? Just a thought.

2. It can be darn cold, but nothing that you haven't experienced :D Dress in layers, top yourself with a waterproof hooded rain jacket. It can also be surprisingly warm.

3. With the kids, you are going to be tied to your cabin a lot of the time. A balcony would give you a change of scenery from just sitting in the room, being quiet and letting them sleep. You could go out there and watch the scenery.

As far as I know, most ships do not have any kind of kids' club or such for a one year old. You're it ;)

Check out the Family Cruising board too, for information on cruising with kids.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

We took our daughter with us on the Crown Princess. She turned 2 the day we got home from the trip (Saved us $800 in airfare). We started off with an 8 hour plane ride. She did great. We brought along plenty of things to entertain her. She loved the trip. We took the whale watching excursion with Orca Enterprises, did a private site-seeing tour with Beyond Skagway, the train at Whitepass and a glacier tour with Major Marine. We did not feel like we missed out on anything having our daughter with us. On the Princess ships, although they do not have a kids club for that age, toddlers are allowed to go to the kids club as long as a parent stays with them. We played and participated in the different crafts. Our daughter came to dinner with us every night. The waitstaff loved her. They even bought her a birthday present (a stuffed moose from one of the shops). Everyone made sure she was the star of everything we did. The only thing I would change about our trip was that I wished we would have booked the pre-cruise rail tour to Denali. We did not do that because we were not sure how she would handle that, but I know she would have been just fine. So now we have a 7 day rail tour booked this summer. Only you know your children. Our daughter has traveled since she was weeks old. She has been on numerous cruises, flights, etc to various places. She can sleep anywhere. I know it is hard to believe, but she knows how to behave. We have had plenty of people stop us on our cruises and trips and tell us that they were worried when we showed up at a show, etc with her but were shocked at how she acted. I truly believe it is because she has been exposed to that sort of thing since she was so little. I am happy to answer any questions you have about traveling with a little one to Alaska. I say go for it!

I think that's way too young. Alaska is about Alaska not amenities on the ship such as slides and kids clubs. Also a lot of the popular excursions such as whale watching won't allow young children. Just my 2 cents!

We booked with Orca Enterprises and were allowed to take our 1 almost 2 year old. We also booked a wildlife/glacier tour with Major Marine without any problems.

Thanks.

Weather is unpredictable but the average high temp in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway in August is 60's.

Edited by Coral

We are doing an alaskan cruise in June, but without our boys. Ages 13 & 4.

Mostly due to cost...the boys will be with my parents. I also felt it would be nice for just DH and I to enjoy a vacation together...do what we want, when we want. My son, 13, doesn't mind not going.

That sort of decision is a personal one that your family will have to make. For me I would not want to spend that kind of money that this trip is costing and not be able to enjoy Alaska for myself to the fullest. I loved traveling with our 4 kids while they were younger, but we took them places like the beach or Disney World. Our first priority was the children at such a young age on vacation. They will not remember, nor appreciate such a wonderful trip to Alaska. In the end that choice is certainly up to you. Whatever you decide I hope that you have a wonderful time!