guaranteed basis

mjmme

I agree. You got what you paid for, so what's the problem?

If you were hoping to get an upgrade, it's not likely on Oceania since there are only 300+ cabins, which are divided into very few catagory's -

reg size inside

reg size w/ window & view of lifeboat

reg size w/ window

reg size w/ balcony

reg sz w/ balcony & perks - fridge,butler

large sz w/ larger balcony & perks- fridge, butler, bathtub

suites w/ big balcony & perks

With so few cabins and the ships sailing almost full, there's not much upgrade room. Oceania did start a new cat system where they give the exact same cat a different grade because of it's location on the deck. Personally, I think it's a ridiculous concept on a mid size ship, but if people are willing to pay more to be closer to the elevator, Oceania will take your money.

Hi mjmme,

In the three years that we have been cruising on Oceania, I have only heard of an upgrade on a transatlantic repositioning cruise. Your TA should have told you that. All of the cruises our friends and we have booked have sold out very fast. One person on our Baltic cruise got an outside cabin when someone had to leave because of a death in the family. Like Andee said, "You got what you paid for."

Sheila

Last year we booked "D" and got an "A"...just depends on the the Itinerary and time you book, I think.

If a popular cruise you will get what you pay for. All the cabins are good so not a problem.:)

I've only ever booked "guarantees" twice before...both times on Celebrity...

With a Cat 12 Guarantee on the Millie, I got moved up to a cat 9...It's really no big difference--both are "inside" cabins...But the Cat 9 had a superior location--Midship, deck 8...

The second time was on the Connie in the Caribbean, I booked a Cat 2C guarantee...and ended up with a 2C...Of course, I was not disappointed, I booked that guarantee because I would gladly have taken any 2C on the shiop...and the one I got was one of the 16 with the double-sized balconies...So, in a way it was an upgrade...

For my upcoming Nautica cruise, I booked a Cat G Guarantee...I really don't have any problem with inside cabins (Just get me on the ship)...I've sailed in everythying from insides to suites...and found I don't use the room for much more than sleeping and changing clothes...and on a port intensive itinerary, I plan to be off the ship most days anyway...

Of course, if they want to upgrade me to a higher category cabin, I'd take it...Well, actually, in a way, I'd take it EXCEPT to one of those "obstructed view" undersized cabins with no sofa and 30 square feet less space...To me, I'd rather have the inside cabin...

But, I figured, what the heck...let's roll the dice and see if I get one of those out-of-the-usual upgrades...And, if I end up with the Cat G anyway, I don't care...I've saved some money on the price differential...

My only question though, being new to Oceania, is how do you find out what cabin you've been assigned? On Celebrity, you'd log in to the website and enter your booking number and password and get to your "online documents" section...It would show the Cabin as "GTY" until they assigned it, at which time the cabin number would show up instead...

But, how...and when...do you find out with Oceania? Thanks...

We are sailing Insignia next June 26 and also booked a Cat G guarantee. We had a cat G cabin assigned within 2 weeks. I'm fine with it except to sell a guarantee with the possibility of an upgrade when Oceania has no intention of ever upgrading is a dishonest policy. They shouldn't offer guarantees if they aren't ever going to provide them. Strikes me as the same thing stores do with loss leaders to get you in and they are "out" of the item advertised on the first day. Just sell the cabin categories as they are-be honest upfront.

A sleazy business policy which breeds ill will and negative publicity.

I am at a loss to understand why a guarantee fare is a dishonest policy.

Simply because people sign up for a guarantee fare with the HOPE of an upgrade, does not mean the cruisline is in any way shape or form guaranteeing an upgrade.

A guarantee is simply that. You will get a stateroom in the category you requested, or, at the cruiselines' discretion, one in a higher category. You are simply paying a little less (usually) so that the cruiseline has some flexibility.

I have never seen anything from any cruiseline that obligates them (even obliquely) to provide upgrades to guarantee fare passengers.

Perhaps I'm blind, naive, or something, so will remain open to correction on this

Guest Jancruz

Timbo..I couldnt have stated it better..I am not exactly sure what people think a guarantee is..Especially on Oceania..it just means you are guaranteed a cabin probably in the category you booked.

Jan:)

You are simply paying a little less (usually) so that the cruiseline has some flexibility.

Here's the most curious part of Oceania's "Guarantee":

The rate the charged me for a Category G Guarantee is EXACTLY the same rate they charge for a Category G cabin if I CHOOSE my cabin...

(As a comparison, my "2C Guarantee" on the Celebrity Constellation was at a rate $500 pp LOWER than the regular 2C rate--The "trade" is that, in exchange for getting a discount on the fare, I let the cruise line have the flexibility, yes, in the hope of getting upgraded)...

But, if Oceania is telling us they treat a "Guarantee" the same as a regular Category G booking, then, why on earth should we book that way? Why not just choose from available Cat G cabins right now? Assuming, with my bookin about a year ahead, that ALL of the Cat Gs were available at the time of booking...Now, all of the Cat Gs appear to me to be rather similar, but, let's assume closer to midship is preferable to all the way forward or all the way aft... (It appears to me there are only 8 category Gs on the ship--4 midship on Deck 4--3 of which are handicapped accessible--and two each forward on decks 6 and 7--Again, to me, I see little difference in any of these)...but let's say I was one of those who prefers midship...Why not grab #4038 NOW, knowing that likely I'll get put into #6010 or 6011...and WILL DO NO BETTER than that?

What's the point?

The reason MOST cruise lines sell guarantees is so that they can keep advertising cabins at their lowest rates, even though they have more than enough takers for that lowest cabin...When it all settles out at the end--at the final payment date,--they see how many Cat Gs--or whatever their lowest cabin is--they have left...and if it's more than the number of cabins, they upgrade the guarantees to the higher, unbooked cabins...

If they didn't book guarantees, they'd sell out early on the low priced cabins (or, at least, they'd have them all reserved and would have to turn people away)--and, of course, before final payment date, some folks drop out and the cruise line has empty cabins, having turned away customers in the meantime...

For some of us, we look at the Oceania deck plans and see only 8 G cabins--and three of these are handicapped--and you'd figure there SHOULD be a good chance at an upgrade...

But, if they merely IMMEDIATELY assign Guarantees to Cat G cabins, then, what IS the big deal? Why sell them as "Guarantees" at all?

It's not that we don't understand the concept of a "Guarantee"...perhaps it's that Oceania doesn't?

Of course, since I booked a month ago and still don't know my cabin, I'm hoping the above posters are just wrong...and there is some hope for an upgrade...

And again, where and when does one find out??

I don't get it at all.. if you are concerned about where your cabin is, what it looks out to ( assuming you are booking a cabin with a window) then why on earth would you even consider allowing someone to put you in a

cabin that you would not want to be in?:confused:

Given what Oceania has done to our itinerary of November 5 - almost immediately after final payment has been made - the smart thing to do would be to RUN, not WALK, away from this cruise line! There are a LOT of things that Oceania does not understand, the least of which is the guarantee issue. And your last line about "where and when does one find out" should be revisited in light of what has happened to us. WHERE did we find out our itinerary was reduced to a shadow of its former self? We were not notified individually or through our TAs! We learned of it because one sharp-eyed reader noticed it on Oceania's website. The world knew before we did! WHEN did we find out our itinerary was reduced to a shadow of its former self? Well, after final payment, of course!!! Changes in the dates/times/durations of every single port, including a big change to the one we all booked for, Libya, all JUST happened to have occurred after final payment three weeks ago. Not to mention we also had one port TOTALLY eliminated! What difference does it make what cabin you're in if you don't recognize your itinerary anymore!

We must have received some compensation for this "adjustment," you say? Think again. We haven't even been told we are getting our port charges back!

Do yourself a favor! Don't try to understand this cruise line. They are unfathomable and very, very insensitive to customers. Go somewhere where someone appreciates your patronage. Sorry to have intruded on your post. I hope you understand that I hate to think of other people being as disappointed and agitated as we are. Better to not get involved. :mad:

Guest Jancruz

Here is how (and why) Oceania sells guarantees..If there is a category sold out, in other words there is NO selection of cabins..and there is more than 90 days before sailing (Final Payments have not been made) Oceania knows there will be some fallout..what they are actually guaranteeing is that you will be on the ship in at least the category you chose..as soon as there is a cancellation in the category YOU booked the first person that has the guarantee in that category gets the cabin..I dont know how it works on any other ship..but Oceania only holds 684 passengers..and sells out very quickly...

Jan :)

we just booked on a "guaranteed" basis, hoping to get better than a catagory g room, and no sooner did we book, than they gave us a g catagory room. Any thoughts?

OMG, I can't believe this board sometimes! or should I say the BOARD KNOW-IT-ALLS. All this poster did was state that they were HOPING for an upgrade, NOT that they expected an upgrade. And no sooner does this poster ask for thoughts and he/she is attacked by the "Oceania can do no wrong pack of board know it alls". And you know who you are! I am looking forward to my first Oceania cruise in November and yes I did HOPE for an upgrade but I did not expect one. I enjoy reading the cruise critic boards as I have for several years now and for the most part find them very informative. But for some reason the Oceania board seems to be dominated by a few know-it-all attack vultures that seem to find it necessary to prey on anyone who says anything the least little bit negative or contrary about Oceania. They also seem to find it necessary to reply to nearly every post on this board. The boards, as far as I know, were designed to share ideas and to POLITELY AND RESPECTFULLY discuss the POSITIVE AND NEGATIVES of cruising and cruise lines without the fear of being attacked or called names such as: trouble maker or flamer or have someone find it necessary and have nothing better to do with their time than to correct other posters spelling/typos. I just pray I don't meet any of these attack vultures on my upcoming Oceania cruise.

Happy sailing,

Doug

As I have said in a post elsewhere, only about 3% of the redaers actually make any comment and I agree with you Dreux there is an element among them who will defend Oceania to the bitter end.

The nice thing is that 97% are just regular people who cruise with Oceania and other lines and just have a great time.

Things go wrong and other things are great.

These boards are helpful in making decisions and at the end of the day......"You pay your money......etc"

An earlier post of mine detailed our June cruise on Insignia .......faults and all....but guess what......we have rebooked for 2006.

Brian

Hey Dreux - you won't find me in that "Oceania can do no wrong pack of know it alls." Right now, I'm having trouble finding Oceania doing something right! I agree 100% with your assessment of this forum. It used to be that a wider variety of opinions was tolerated here, while the "other board" is, well, I won't even go there since you obviously know. But now this forum, like a bad computer, is infected with the same virus that is on that board. You either worship at the feet of the Oceania cruise line and swear undying support, loyalty, and fealty, or you are a speck not worthy of recognition, and your lips (OK, fingers) must be permanently glued together so you do not violate this pact.

Brian - I wish you luck. You should really peruse your itinerary and think about where you would like Oceania to cut 20% of the time you are on shore on your 2006 cruise, because that's what the result is for us. While I understand your "you pay your money..." concept, I trust if you came home from the grocery store and found 20% of your groceries missing, you might not feel the same way, especially if the store enclosed a message in your grocery bag saying that they might come to your house to take away still more of your groceries. And don't even HINT that some compensation for your missing groceries might be in order.

Nancy

I sympathise with your problem which you seem to have aired throughout these boards.....I would probably feel the same way. As I say, Oceania aint perfect but I have had serious issues with Celebrity as well and voted with my feet and will not book with them again.

Why not get on to your Credit Card Company and tell them that you do not intend to make payment and explain why.

Certainly in the UK the CC Companies are equally liable for the product and this may be your way out........its what I would do.

I wish you well.

Brian

You ain't seen nothin' yet! :)

Oceania timed their announcement for *after* final payment so there's nothing that can be done in that regard. If you meant that I should refuse to pay my bill and protest in that manner, timing of my account is such that I've already paid the bill as well. But, your point about protesting with the credit card company is interesting & something I will look into. I trust if I get a refund (truly I do not expect it) from my credit card, I hope I don't get assessed a 3% foreign transaction fee, however. :)

OMG, I can't believe this board sometimes! or should I say the BOARD KNOW-IT-ALLS. All this poster did was state that they were HOPING for an upgrade, NOT that they expected an upgrade. And no sooner does this poster ask for thoughts and he/she is attacked by the "Oceania can do no wrong pack of board know it alls". And you know who you are! I am looking forward to my first Oceania cruise in November and yes I did HOPE for an upgrade but I did not expect one. I enjoy reading the cruise critic boards as I have for several years now and for the most part find them very informative. But for some reason the Oceania board seems to be dominated by a few know-it-all attack vultures that seem to find it necessary to prey on anyone who says anything the least little bit negative or contrary about Oceania. They also seem to find it necessary to reply to nearly every post on this board. The boards, as far as I know, were designed to share ideas and to POLITELY AND RESPECTFULLY discuss the POSITIVE AND NEGATIVES of cruising and cruise lines without the fear of being attacked or called names such as: trouble maker or flamer or have someone find it necessary and have nothing better to do with their time than to correct other posters spelling/typos. I just pray I don't meet any of these attack vultures on my upcoming Oceania cruise.

Happy sailing,

Doug

When someone says something is a dishonest policy (Susuesan's response), and I respond that I fail to see how that is a dishonest poilcy, and give my reasons why.....is that flaming, being impolite, being disrespectful, being a trouble maker, being a flamer, correcting other posters spelling/typos? I also ended with the statement that I was open to correction.

By the way, my response was about guarantee cabins in general, not Oceania in particular. Yes, I have sailed on Oceania, and it was not perfect. I pointed out the shortcomings in a letter directly to Oceania. The purpose of my letter was to assist them in looking at things from a customer's point of view. I have no need or desire to say that "Oceania can do no wrong" My response would have been the same, no matter the cruiseline.

I always try to be polite both in life and on these boards.

If you have a specific problem with the contents of what I said, please have the decency to point that out to me. If it is with someone else's response, then please have the courtesy to inform them.

"Oh what a gift the Lord to give us....to see ourselves as others see us" Robert Burns (translated from Scottish)

"When you point a finger, be careful. There are 3 other fingers pointing back at you" Old Chinese Proverb

Here is how (and why) Oceania sells guarantees..If there is a category sold out, in other words there is NO selection of cabins..and there is more than 90 days before sailing (Final Payments have not been made) Oceania knows there will be some fallout..what they are actually guaranteeing is that you will be on the ship in at least the category you chose..as soon as there is a cancellation in the category YOU booked the first person that has the guarantee in that category gets the cabin..I dont know how it works on any other ship..but Oceania only holds 684 passengers..and sells out very quickly...

That would make sense...IF ONLY IT WERE TRUE...

But, no, Oceania sold us a "Guarantee" rate IN SPITE of the fact they still had cabins left in Cat G...We were offered a specific cabin OR a Guarantee...If all they were doing was holding us a spot UNTIL a Cat G cabin opened up, then why sell US a Guarantee at all? They ALREADY had the cabins to assign us...

Again, for all I know, they immediately assigned us one of those cabins they had given us as a choice...I still don't know how or when I find out...

You ain't seen nothin' yet! :)

Oceania timed their announcement for *after* final payment so there's nothing that can be done in that regard. If you meant that I should refuse to pay my bill and protest in that manner, timing of my account is such that I've already paid the bill as well. But, your point about protesting with the credit card company is interesting & something I will look into. I trust if I get a refund (truly I do not expect it) from my credit card, I hope I don't get assessed a 3% foreign transaction fee, however. :)

Dear Nancy,

Well I certainly feel for you.

If I was in your shoes and felt as you do I would call the credit card company ( even if you paid in full) tell them you are disputing the charge as you want to cancel the cruise you paid for but are not getting.

You can do it I believe 60 days from payment ( Amex) and depending on the credit card company you used maybe longer?

Good luck.

Guest Jancruz
That would make sense...IF ONLY IT WERE TRUE...

But, no, Oceania sold us a "Guarantee" rate IN SPITE of the fact they still had cabins left in Cat G...We were offered a specific cabin OR a Guarantee...If all they were doing was holding us a spot UNTIL a Cat G cabin opened up, then why sell US a Guarantee at all? They ALREADY had the cabins to assign us...

Again, for all I know, they immediately assigned us one of those cabins they had given us as a choice...I still don't know how or when I find out...

Well Steve, You taught me something..Thank you..I did try to check when people find out about their cabin assignment..but was told it could be anytime between now and final payment..and your TA will be notified..

Jan :)

There are pros and cons to Guarantees.

The pros are you might get a better (more expensive cabin) upgrade.

The cons are that the upgrade cabin

may be far less desireable.

When I booked Nautica I was offered Cat G guarantee or I could choose a Cat G cabin.

I picked a good deck 8 cabin, approx. 160 sq. ft. midship. I did not want to chance an "upgrade to deck 6 with only 140 sq. ft. approx. Sure I would have a window with an obstructed view but I'd rather have the extra 20 sq.ft. Maybe I'd have gotten an "upgrade" to deck 3 with a Porthole. I'd rather have my deck 8 location and give up the porthole.

I just didn't want to take a chance on getting an upgrade unless it would be to deck 7 or 8 and that seemed highly unlikely.

We don't mind inside cabins. The thousands we save will buy a lot of shore excursions and hotel.

arizonaartie

is it the common consensus then that the guarentee basis sold by Oceania is just a scam? They are offering you the hope of a better room , when in fact there is as much chance of a better room as winning the lottery?

Archived