Just off Oasis - ask your ?'s

I just got off Oasis on Saturday (Eastern route) and here to answer any questions that you might have. I do not have pictures of any cruise compasses or restaurant menus but can help with any other requests. A little background, this is my 9th cruise all with RCCL, 1st on Oasis, married in my low 30's with no kids and went on the cruise with my wife, had a normal ocean view balcony and ate in 5 specialty restaurants for dinner. Ask away...

We're considering Oasis for our extended family (ages 15yrs - 60's).

How crowded did it feel? Compared to Voyager class or Freedom class?

Was it difficult to get into restaurants and shows?

Did it take long to get on/off in port?

How was the service?

Thank you!

How crowded did it feel? It did not feel that crowded, it is busy on the pool deck on sea days with people claiming their chairs, but overall it was not bad. Avoid elevators after the shows but other than that it wasn't bad Compared to Voyager class or Freedom class? It is more crowded than the other classes but IMO not a reason not to book on it, so much bigger and more space, not sure if I can go on a smaller class anymore.

Was it difficult to get into restaurants and shows? we pre booked so it was not hard, there was a standby line for a few shows we saw and people were getting in on those. The specialty restaurants did not seem that busy besides Chops and the last day

Did it take long to get on/off in port? very easy, getting off was a breeze, getting back on took 5-10 min to go through the x-rays and wait in line

How was the service? service was decent, not amazing besides our cabin steward, she was the best. Food service was mediocre but I think that how it is aboard all RCCL ships nowadays

Thank you!

Not sure on rum and coke but it seemed like all frozen drinks were $12, $14.16 after tip, highway robbery IMO but with those prices they are encouraging the drink package which I think was $49 or $55 a day.

What deck were you on and did you like it?

How much does the Zip Line on the ship cost?

What time of the day did you embark onto the ship?

What shows did you see?

If an electric train was going a 100 mph to the west and the wind was blowing 100 mph to the east, which way does the smoke go?

What was your opinion of the quality of food in the main dining room
We only are in the main dinning room once, it was mediocre, nothing on the menus really stood out, all of the specialty dinning was very good to great and worth the extra charge. We were planning on eating in the main dinning room 3 times, but the 2nd time the wait was long and we were not that hungry so went to Windjammer and 3rd time the menu options looked just okay so we were able to get into Solarium Bistro with 2 hours notice on the last day and it was well worth it, my wife's favorite place

what deck were you on and did you like it?deck 8 - highly recommend it as same deck as central park and only a few flights down to royal promenade and boardwalk

how much does the zip line on the ship cost? free, lines were not very long other than on last sea day

what time of the day did you embark onto the ship?got to terminal at 11:00, took 20 min, waited 10 more min to board and was on the ship by 11:40 if not earlier

what shows did you see?aqua shows are great and not to be missed, the comedy show was good, and the headliner show was also good, didnt go to the others even though had reservations

if an electric train was going a 100 mph to the west and the wind was blowing 100 mph to the east, which way does the smoke go?

in your face

Im on deck 8 on oasis in one month in a balcony cabin.

What is the dress code for the shows? Would jeans and a collared shirt be too under dressed?

No not at all, you could wear shorts if you wanted to. I ended up wearing shorts to dinner 5 of the 7 nights, I had a collard shirt on and never felt under dressed. You are on vacation do what you want, not what others want you to do . There will always be people that want to get dressed up but it is not necessary. I think wearing a swimsuit and a t-shirt is under dressed for the dinning room but shorts and a polo is more than acceptable and the shows are even less casual than dinning.

Not sure on rum and coke but it seemed like all frozen drinks were $12, $14.16 after tip, highway robbery IMO but with those prices they are encouraging the drink package which I think was $49 or $55 a day.

$24 & $16?

Wow, I guess even with the Ultimate drink package, there will be a bill at the end of the week as the packages only cover the 1st $12 of the purchase right?

How crowded did it feel? Compared to Voyager class or Freedom class?

Was it difficult to get into restaurants and shows?

Did it take long to get on/off in port?

How was the service?

Thank you!

I'm sorry OP but I just wanted to add something. We were also on this cruise and had to queue everywhere for far longer than on the Freedom/Voyager ships. Even when we had reservations for MTD, we queued for around 25 - 30 minutes.

General crowding wasn't extremely bad but we decided there were way too many people for us. Maybe it's a different age demographic since we are in our 50's.

We also booked our cruise late and most of the shows were already booked out so make sure you make reservations.

Agree... Dining room food was not good. We ended up getting bookings for the speciality restaurants for 3 nights.

My husband had the Ultimate drinks package and the only thing he paid for was Gatorade. He was served whatever drink he wanted at no charge.

Edited by joandian

What was your opinion of the quality of food in the main dining room

I was on the 3-7 sailing too. I thought the food in the main dining room during dinner was mediocre to good depending on how long your waiter let the food sit before bringing it over to you.

I agree with everyone else about the lines for MTD. It's absurd to have to wait 15-25 minutes when you already have a reservation.

During the sea day dining room lunches, I thought the salad station / hot food quality was worse than on my cruises on Allure in Nov and Dec. They removed a bunch of the options for your salad. There was no hard boiled eggs, smoked salmon, shrimp, prosciutto, selection of cheeses. The pasta didn't have any seafood in it. It was the exact same kind of pasta in the same cheesy sauce but the shrimp / salmon / scallops were missing. shrimp curry turned into vegetarian curry.

I just got off Oasis on Saturday (Eastern route) and here to answer any questions that you might have. I do not have pictures of any cruise compasses or restaurant menus but can help with any other requests. A little background, this is my 9th cruise all with RCCL, 1st on Oasis, married in my low 30's with no kids and went on the cruise with my wife, had a normal ocean view balcony and ate in 5 specialty restaurants for dinner. Ask away...

Any ideas of the price of Wi Fi,

Any ideas on the price of bottled water?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was Chops? Would love your feedback on it and any of the other specialty venues you tried...

Chops was good but probably one of the least favorite of the 5 specialty restaurants we ate at. My order would be 1. 150 Central Park 2. Solarium Bistro 3. Izumi Hibachi 4. Chops 5. Sabor. My no means are any of them bad and are all worth the extra money IMO compared to the dinning room, Chops is just your typical steakhouse, good cut of meat, good sides, good apps, a little pricey at $39pp but they have deals if you book on board, it was the busiest of all of the places we ate at.

Was the solarium (adults only) area really busy on sea days?

It was busy but on sea days all pool areas were busy, it was not different than pool areas. There are lots of chair hogs so just need to walk around and after a few minutes you should be able to find something in the Solarium or near the other pools. The earlier you get out there the better, 10 am.

We are on deck 8 on the Oasis in December. On the hump. Were there restaurants on that deck convenient to the rooms? Any extra noise on that deck? What was your favorite restaurant you ate at? Anything you wish you hadn't wasted time on? This is our first cruise. Married, in our 30's, no kids. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer questions for everyone!!!