Disney vs RCCL with a 2 year old?

mcd_rn

I posted this in general cruise questions, but it was recommended to ask here! Would appreciate any thoughts or advice! (and because this might not have been clear when I posted in the other forum - I know the 2 year old won't know the difference, I'm looking for general cruise quality comparisons, with the understanding she'll be with us so any opinions that play into that aspect are very welcome as well!)

Hi there,

I'm only a second time cruiser, not very familiar with many of the cruise lines. My husband and I were planning a vacation later this spring/early summer with our 2 year old, he is transitioning to a new job and wants to use vacation time between the old and new jobs as to not take a week off early into the next one.

To make a last minute trip easier and limit research/planning, we're looking at 2 cruise options. This is our last vacation before we become a family of four, so we want time to both focus on ourselves and our daughter which is why we landed on either RC or Disney (since both are primarily kid-focused but have 2 yr old care options that would allow us to spend time on our own occasionally...so best of both worlds we're hoping?).

I'd love any thoughts comparing the cruise lines, the primary things being the line and/or boats themselves, activities onboard for adults and 2 year olds, and food. I don't really care about itinerary differences since we want to take it easy and not book excursions, do more walking or chilling on a beach or the boat. We'd be either on Disney Wonder or RC Liberty. Room-wise we'd be looking at a veranda on both.

I'm leaning towards Disney because she is far more familiar and interested in the characters than the Dreamworks characters on RC, but Disney is also $1200 more so I'd love to know if it's worth the difference.

Also an add'l question - our previous cruise was Celebrity Solstice to Alaska. Extremely different situation, but I'd also love to know what differences (if any) we should expect in quality of ship, service, food, etc. as we were very impressed with Celebrity (we did get tired of the buffet there, but that was a minor food complaint...overall we are used to quality restaurants and food and I was pleasantly surprised with Celebrity).

Thanks so much in advance!

You know, overall I was guessing from reading around that Carnival is slightly lower in quality than the other 2. But mostly it's a timing issue - we only have a specific week to look at and we are shooting for a 5 night cruise which allows us to have time to travel before/after but gives my husband some breathing room after we return to prep for new job starting the next week. There was only 1 Carnival cruise that worked and no balconies available. Just suites, and all in it would be just $400 less than Disney. I realize the suites come with other benefits, but I figured at that price if we also want something on the higher quality end, either Disney or RCCL would be a better choice. Is that fair, or should I be looking more at that Carnival option?

Thank you!

Personally, I'd do RCCL & put the money saved towards a Disney cruise later. We sailed Allure of the Seas with DD at 2 1/2 and just sailed the Disney Fantasy. We loved both cruises! I will say the service on Disney was a step above, but I'm glad we waited until DD could really appreciate it. The service on RCCL was great. Disney was just a step above.

We used the nursery for DD on Allure & she loved it. The staff was professional (I got a full run down of exactly how much of what she ate for dinner and all of her activities for the evening when we picked her up) and very engaged with the children. When we went they still had toys you could check out for the room & DD loved playing with these in the room.

I would put the food about equal between the 2. I loved the dining room experiences on Disney, but when DD was younger I liked having the option of the buffet or Park Cafe for dinner on RCCL if DD was not up to the dining room (I think RCCL still has this option, but I can't be certain and I know Disney does not have a buffet available at dinner). Both have alternative dining for a nominal fee. We enjoyed the steak house on Allure while DD was at the nursery, but we could have taken her if we dined before 6 (Disney alternative restaurants are 18 and up only at all times).

We also knew they had a splash area for diapered children if we didn't meet our goal of having her potty trained before the cruise. She was potty trained in time and able to use the regular areas. DD loves water so if she had not been potty trained and we were on a ship without a diapered splash area, we would have had to avoid the pool areas all together (she was used to pools from the time she was an infant so a blow up pool would not have interested her). I believe both Disney & RCCL have this option (but Carnival does not).

She didn't really know the Dreamworks characters either, but she still had fun with them. She loved the sail away dance party with them, the character breakfast and even played hide and seek with one of the characters on the Boardwalk one night. Keep in mind that, at that age, just because she knows the Disney Characters doesn't mean she will like meeting them (some love meeting the characters at that age & others hate it---even though they love the character).

I see that you mention becoming a family of four. Keep in mind, if you are pregnant there are limits on how far along you can sail and most lines require paperwork from your doctor.

Good luck! I'm sure whichever option you choose you'll have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I'd do RCCL & put the money saved towards a Disney cruise later. We sailed Allure of the Seas with DD at 2 1/2 and just sailed the Disney Fantasy. We loved both cruises! I will say the service on Disney was a step above, but I'm glad we waited until DD could really appreciate it. The service on RCCL was great. Disney was just a step above.

We used the nursery for DD on Allure & she loved it. The staff was professional (I got a full run down of exactly how much of what she ate for dinner and all of her activities for the evening when we picked her up) and very engaged with the children. When we went they still had toys you could check out for the room & DD loved playing with these in the room.

I would put the food about equal between the 2. I loved the dining room experiences on Disney, but when DD was younger I liked having the option of the buffet or Park Cafe for dinner on RCCL if DD was not up to the dining room (I think RCCL still has this option, but I can't be certain and I know Disney does not have a buffet available at dinner). Both have alternative dining for a nominal fee. We enjoyed the steak house on Allure while DD was at the nursery, but we could have taken her if we dined before 6 (Disney alternative restaurants are 18 and up only at all times).

We also knew they had a splash area for diapered children if we didn't meet our goal of having her potty trained before the cruise. She was potty trained in time and able to use the regular areas. DD loves water so if she had not been potty trained and we were on a ship without a diapered splash area, we would have had to avoid the pool areas all together (she was used to pools from the time she was an infant so a blow up pool would not have interested her). I believe both Disney & RCCL have this option (but Carnival does not).

She didn't really know the Dreamworks characters either, but she still had fun with them. She loved the sail away dance party with them, the character breakfast and even played hide and seek with one of the characters on the Boardwalk one night. Keep in mind that, at that age, just because she knows the Disney Characters doesn't mean she will like meeting them (some love meeting the characters at that age & others hate it---even though they love the character).

I see that you mention becoming a family of four. Keep in mind, if you are pregnant there are limits on how far along you can sail and most lines require paperwork from your doctor.

Good luck! I'm sure whichever option you choose you'll have a great time!

I just booked a Disney cruise for our family (including a 2.5 year old). I wanted to thank you for this very helpful post!

Honestly, I would steer clear of Carnival cruise line. I know that a lot of ppl love it and have had awesome experiences with them, but I have not. I have done 30+ cruises and only one with Carnival. When my daughter graduated from high school her father treated her and I to a cruise instead of going to senior week with her friends ( smart guy!) we left from NY and from the get go it was awful. Embankment was horrible, the ship was gaudy and the service and food was under par. If it had been a cruise with a young child , while I was pregnant I would have been very disappointed!

I would spend the extra money for RCL or Disney!

I'm sure u will enjoy what ever ship u decide on!