Sushi on Royal

jennymaxgirl

My son, 8, loves sushi. Could eat it everyday. I would love for him to be able to get some sushi on the cruise. I understand it's available at Vines, but probably not great for kids given that you have to order a drink. And I am certain he would want to eat more than provided. Lol.

Is it ever featured in the buffet on occasion?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer...are you asking about raw fish or items prepared with rice?

I ask because a Japanese friend told me that what some call sushi is actually sashimi (raw fish). Things like California roll is what she said was sushi & this definition I found online says the same thing.

"Sashimi is thinly sliced raw meat—usually fish, such as salmon or tuna—that is served without rice. Sushi is not raw fish, but rather vinegared rice that is mixed with other ingredients, which may or may not include raw fish. In some countries, the terms "sashimi" and "sushi" may be used interchangeably, but this is incorrect usage".

Using this definition, I have seen sushi in the buffet on some days but haven't seen sashimi. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

My son, 8, loves sushi. Could eat it everyday. I would love for him to be able to get some sushi on the cruise. I understand it's available at Vines, but probably not great for kids given that you have to order a drink. And I am certain he would want to eat more than provided. Lol.

Is it ever featured in the buffet on occasion?

Thanks!

Jennifer

They did have sushi for lunch once when I was on board Feb 17-27. I'm pretty sure it was on the first sea day (which ended up being the second as we had to skip Princess Cays), Feb 19th. It was good, but choice was limited to vegetarian california type rolls or smoked salmon and shrimp. It was better than none at all. I didn't try the sushi at the Ocean Terrace.

You wont get anything with raw fish on ship. It will be smoked or cooked somehow.

I've had raw fish on most of my recent cruises. I cannot say for sure how far back that goes, but at least the last four or five. Where the ship had Vines, they always had yellow tail or salmon raw on rice.

I've had raw fish on most of my recent cruises. I cannot say for sure how far back that goes, but at least the last four or five. Where the ship had Vines, they always had yellow tail or salmon raw on rice.

Once or twice on a cruise I go to Vines for lunch and have a glass of wine and sushi - it is delicious and presented very nicely with 4 servings - several of them had raw fish.

Once or twice on a cruise I go to Vines for lunch and have a glass of wine and sushi - it is delicious and presented very nicely with 4 servings - several of them had raw fish.

Nice!

Never done it for lunch, usually an early evening drink. Given my choice (without other factors) I prefer late traditional dining, which makes a glass of wine and bite of sushi early in the evening a perfect way to start the cocktail hour.

My experience has been that Vines isn't always open for lunch so check the Patter to know it's hours.

Perhaps just sea days? Thats the only time I have ever done it for lunch.

Edited by mek

Perhaps just sea days? Thats the only time I have ever done it for lunch.

Checking the Patters for our October 2014 cruise on the Royal from NY to FL via the Caribbean (7 sea days, 3 ports) Vines was open from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM every day. Instead Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar was open from 11:00 AM until 11:30 PM everyday except in Antigua & Aruba when it opened at 4:00 PM.

Checking the Patters for our October 2014 cruise on the Royal from NY to FL via the Caribbean (7 sea days, 3 ports) Vines was open from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM every day. Instead Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar was open from 11:00 AM until 11:30 PM everyday except in Antigua & Aruba when it opened at 4:00 PM.

Sorry, if I confused anyone, I haven't sailed on Royal. My recent experiences with sushi at Vines have been on Star and Emerald.