2 year old escapes!

sweetshell637

Hey! Wonder if yall could help? I have a 2 year old who has learned how to open the cabin door and run down the hall! with and without clothes on! :eek: anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him in there? he thinks its a game! Thanks in advance! (ship will be sunshine!)

I remember when I was 8 (I'm 65 now) my Mother took me to Hawaii on the Matson cruise lines. We had a port hole, and I kept thinking how could I open it, so I could get a better look at the water. I never did.

http://www.amazon.com/Secure%C2%AE-Portable-Door-Safety-Lock/dp/B001IZ7RU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426767053&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+travel+door+locks

Also, on our last cruise we heard shouting from out side and went to investigate. There was a man trapped on his balcony as his young child locked the door to it after he had gone out onto it. We had to call guest services to send someone to his cabin to let him off his balcony.

My wife has the same problem with me. She just locks the door when I go into the hall. I learned my lesson after the first few times.

Lol!!!:p

When we sailed when my son was 2 1/2 he wasn't an escape artist but we put that oval table in front of the door just in case. Too big for him to move but we could move quickly if needed. Did the trick for us.

This is what we've done the last few times when we've taken our toddler with us. The oval table is pretty heavy for me to even move, so there is no way my son would be able to. I had bought something called "Addalock" too put was petrified we'd lock ourselves in the room and not be able to get out, lol, so we've yet to take it. We tried it at home and it was a struggle doing it on a closet door.

Never doubt a determined toddler. :D

Ain't that the truth .

My kids got a hold of things or got into things that defied logic for someone that young or that small, and in the matter of a second But they did it. It's scary

Never doubt a determined toddler. :D

:) Precious and precocious..the drive to survive and joy and interest in world we all try so to give them...well, has its challenges.

My nephew is now on a cruise at 20 with good "grown ups"..getting less and less nervous but in constant prayer. It is scary now with all these stories.

The same nephew was so strong and almost impossible to dress every day...lol...a workout. He was born with a serious health thing and had to decide to fight, live and deal. Was a very happy kid just strong and determined free spirit explorer par excellence and this aunties big desire for an extended family cruise was vetoed correctly by his mom when he was two..he would have gotten overboard somehow...LOL..some kids just have to wait..LOL..spanking, a strong light swat that embarrasses more than hurts, for a very few things I think is ok..but did not work on this kid..he had to develop fight for six months on a wedge with tube nutrition and boy did he make up for lost time...LOL.

Edited by sjn911

When we sailed when my son was 2 1/2 he wasn't an escape artist but we put that oval table in front of the door just in case. Too big for him to move but we could move quickly if needed. Did the trick for us.

This is a great idea because those small tables are very heavy on purpose (to keep them from moving in bad weather). A toddler could not move them.

Hey! Wonder if yall could help? I have a 2 year old who has learned how to open the cabin door and run down the hall! with and without clothes on! :eek: anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him in there? he thinks its a game! Thanks in advance! (ship will be sunshine!)

Here is a great idea that only requires a towel, plastic bag, and tape. Be sure and take the plastic bag and tape with you.

http://cradlerockingmama.com/the-trials-have-begun-and-how-to-toddler-proof-your-hotel-room-door/

(Scroll down to the photos)

Here is a great idea that only requires a towel, plastic bag, and tape. Be sure and take the plastic bag and tape with you.

http://cradlerockingmama.com/the-trials-have-begun-and-how-to-toddler-proof-your-hotel-room-door/

(Scroll down to the photos)

Cute...maybe duct tape and even more secure,,,,if can pull it off without hurting door...oh it is all amazing and overwhelming..now some of my nieces and nephews are doing it...LOL.

Edited by sjn911

Wow, you have a strong 2 y/o! I have been cruising with my son since he was 9 months old, and maybe now at 4 he has the strength to open the cabin door, and he is a normal sized kid. No way did he have the strength at 2! Regarding the balcony door, there is usually a lock at the top or the door handle turns a certain way to lock it. I have a sit-down with my son and we review balcony safety before the cruise and while on the ship. I will not hesitate to strongly discipline him or take away something he wants if he even slightly deviates from the rules! He is never to be on the balcony without adult supervision as well.