2 year old escapes!

sweetshell637

Our 8 year old granddaughter walked in her sleep. We bought a "door stop alarm" from Amazon. She never tried to open the cabin door in her sleep, but if she had, we would have heard the alarm. It won't keep your daughter from trying to open the door, but the high pitched alarm might stop her in her tracks.

Our 8 year old granddaughter walked in her sleep. We bought a "door stop alarm" from Amazon. She never tried to open the cabin door in her sleep, but if she had, we would have heard the alarm. It won't keep your daughter from trying to open the door, but the high pitched alarm might stop her in her tracks.

Would probably scare the bejeezus out of the neighbors too :eek:I certainly wouldn't want to be next door!

We had a balcony on our last Disney Cruise with our 2 year old daughter. The balcony doors have a safety latch at the top far out of reach for a child. I have never had a balcony on a Carnival ship, do that not have any similar saftey latch or lock on them?

Yes they do, they are very safe for all ages. We travel in balconies with kids all the time. Balconies as well as cabin doors are quite difficult to open. The OP must have a super strong child!

If bungee cords, sideways strollers or door stops don't work, try a good old fashioned spanking.

Yes they do, they are very safe for all ages. We travel in balconies with kids all the time. Balconies as well as cabin doors are quite difficult to open. The OP must have a super strong child!

If bungee cords, sideways strollers or door stops don't work, try a good old fashioned spanking.[/QUOTE]

yep! This is what I was thinking.

Bad behavior and not listening is unacceptable.

How does the motion detector actually prevent the child from leaving and opening the door? I'm sure in a small cruise cabin this isn't needed as you will be able to notice the child opening the door before they leave the room. What the OP really needs is a door opening deterrent. Laying the luggage down in front of the door should deter the 2 year old from trying to open the door.

Now crawling under the bed is another issue altogether.

Kids are smart when they want to be. If an adult is say sitting on the balcony waiting for the child to wake up from a nap, or if the adult is also napping, an alarm would indicate the door being tampered with if the child wakes up and gets busy. I'm not saying a deterrent isn't needed, but what if the deterrent doesn't work?

We had a balcony on our last Disney Cruise with our 2 year old daughter. The balcony doors have a safety latch at the top far out of reach for a child. I have never had a balcony on a Carnival ship, do that not have any similar saftey latch or lock on them?

There is a lock that is very high up on the balcony doors. A child could not reach it so as long as you keep that locked it should not be a problem.

Hey! Wonder if yall could help? I have a 2 year old who has learned how to open the cabin door and run down the hall! with and without clothes on! :eek: anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him in there? he thinks its a game! Thanks in advance! (ship will be sunshine!)

I've seen parents with a harness and leash tied on their child - especially at amusement parks. I'd be scared spitless to have a 2-year old on a ship who was an escape artist. Not fun!

If bungee cords, sideways strollers or door stops don't work, try a good old fashioned spanking.

But that would have a negative impact on the child's "self esteem". ;)

That's right. Tear up that bum bum a time or two and they'll stop escaping. It's funny and cute until it's not.

Parents to toddlers equals saying see you later to balconies for awhile says the Mom of a soon-to-be 4 yr old and soon-to-be 1 yr old.

Maybe longer than you think.

One could walk into the kid's cabin at sail away and find one's 18 year old 6'4" son standing on a chair on the balcony.

This could be a kid that is supposed to have normal intelligence.

Don't ask me how I know.

Maybe longer than you think.

One could walk into the kid's cabin at sail away and find one's 18 year old 6'4" son standing on a chair on the balcony.

This could be a kid that is supposed to have normal intelligence.

Don't ask me how I know.

The words "kid", "18 year old" and "normal intelligence" can never be used in the same sentence. I think it's one of the rules of English grammar.

Edited by travler27

When we sailed when my son was 2 1/2 he wasn't an escape artist but we put that oval table in front of the door just in case. Too big for him to move but we could move quickly if needed. Did the trick for us.

Hey! Wonder if yall could help? I have a 2 year old who has learned how to open the cabin door and run down the hall! with and without clothes on! :eek: anyone have any suggestions on how to keep him in there? he thinks its a game! Thanks in advance! (ship will be sunshine!)

I don't spank often but I sure did when mine that was 3 at the time tried to dart out in the road.....I would rather his butt hurt than him be dead and he hasn't tried it again since!

That's right. Tear up that bum bum a time or two and they'll stop escaping. It's funny and cute until it's not.

The words "kid", "18 year old" and "normal intelligence" can never be used in the same sentence. I think it's one of the rules of English grammar.

It is amazing to me that as many boys survive to adulthood as do.

Teenage boys...

We just told our kids NO! Still works.