Norwegian Breakaway from NY to Bermuda

Sailing out of NY, Manhattan Terminal in June. Wondering if anyone has experience with a decent place to stay the night before in the area, as well as a suggestion for parking for the week, without breaking the bank, would rather spend the $ during the vacation. That being said, I know it is going to cost me, just looking for options where folks have had good experiences. It has been suggested to stay outside of the city with the horrendous lack of parking...appreciate any feedback that you all may have. Coming from Boston, almost wish I had taken the Dawn but opted for the bigger newer ship :) ...maybe next time

Thanks again, from a first timer celebrating 25 years married :D

Feel your PAIN!!! Booked the Getaway for my Husband and I this NOV. cancelled that and booked for our family of 4 out of Boston on the DAWN. Hope we love it! Just wish there were more choices from Boston. Don't want to spend the extra $$$ traveling to the port!!!

I wish we were on the bigger ship...kids would have more fun....but to spend about 2 thousand more for a decent room (in a suiet on th Dawn) and the cost to go to NY....just not worth it!!

Hope you have a good time!!!

Thanks, you as well!!

I actually don't mind the road trip to NY, not a big deal, give the wife and I time to talk LOL. Going out of Boston would have been so much easier for us but decided on the bigger ship based on tips from coworkers. Booked a spa mini suite, just wasn't sure about booking the Haven having never been, wasn't sure it would be worth the extra 2G's. Enjoy!

Feel your PAIN!!! Booked the Getaway for my Husband and I this NOV. cancelled that and booked for our family of 4 out of Boston on the DAWN. Hope we love it! Just wish there were more choices from Boston. Don't want to spend the extra $$$ traveling to the port!!!

I wish we were on the bigger ship...kids would have more fun....but to spend about 2 thousand more for a decent room (in a suiet on th Dawn) and the cost to go to NY....just not worth it!!

Hope you have a good time!!!

Not so fast on the "wish we were on a bigger ship" Dawn is a great ship, even with kids. Mega ships are not as amazing as you think. I have been on Breakaway and Dawn; i like the Dawn better. I am under 30, no kids; however speaking with everyone OB kids had a great time.

We loved Boston & the Dawn - NYC is expensive, especially near the port & Times Square area among out-of-town visitors & tourists.

Have you read some of the ideas & suggestions here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

What are you pre-cruise plans for sightseeing in NYC, if any ? Or, just drive in, park & cruise ? Q&A are often getting very personalized help & attention above, so ;) i.e. stay in Stamford, CT or Westchester, NY overnight & drive in early, park on the pier (or, use nearby alternate paid parking for less - not as convenient, but savings is real for the wallet ...

Isn't there a train from Boston to Grand Central in NYC? An overnight stay in the city will be considerably less than parking your car at the dock for a week. Plus you have the stress of driving to and from the city.

From Boston to grand central means Amtrak to a metro north stop like Stamford or new Rochelle and then standing on the same platform for metro north to grand central....Which is no big deal btw

But most people from Boston would just go Amtrak to penn station

Just an FYI..... Amtrak does not go to grand central it goes to penn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We loved Boston & the Dawn - NYC is expensive, especially near the port & Times Square area among out-of-town visitors & tourists.

Have you read some of the ideas & suggestions here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

What are you pre-cruise plans for sightseeing in NYC, if any ? Or, just drive in, park & cruise ? Q&A are often getting very personalized help & attention above, so ;) i.e. stay in Stamford, CT or Westchester, NY overnight & drive in early, park on the pier (or, use nearby alternate paid parking for less - not as convenient, but savings is real for the wallet ...

Thanks for the info, no plans yet, pre-planning at the moment, open to suggestions. Checked trains real quick and didn't seem all that cheap...

We have time, I like the idea of having my own vehicle, but also not opposed to a great deal 😊 one thing I think we know for sure is we want to be in the area (how close that is is what I am unsure of) the night before for an easy morning when it comes to boarding, etc.

Thanks for the info, no plans yet, pre-planning at the moment, open to suggestions. Checked trains real quick and didn't seem all that cheap...

We have time, I like the idea of having my own vehicle, but also not opposed to a great deal 😊 one thing I think we know for sure is we want to be in the area (how close that is is what I am unsure of) the night before for an easy morning when it comes to boarding, etc.

I live near Stamford, CT. On a Sunday morning to drive to port and park is less than 35 min. Then when you disembark your car is right there and you can zip home without all of the hassle.

... Stamford, CT ... Sunday morning to drive to port and park is less than 35 min. ... when you disembark your car is right there and you can zip home ...

<<Like>> this option, if spending time seeing Times Square, Macy's/34th Street & 9/11 Memorial, etc. aren't important to OP.

On the other forum that I've linked, 138east/Carol is one of the cruise wizard on these hotel deals & specials, faster than my online search browsers on.

A quickie lookup on this June's Amtrak fares for 4, even with AAA adult discounts - is not "cheap". Bolt Bus/Mega Bus with arrival on the day before would be another consideration to compare prices.

Roof-top parking at the pier for a pickup is the same at $40 daily including all taxes & fees, no surcharges whereas most if not all nearby commercial garages do hit you usually, extra $10 daily for oversize/height/length/etc. Park Rite on W. 43rd. Street by 11th Ave. is often a discount alternative with online deals found by some - and a 6 to 7 city blocks walk to the street level exit from Pier 88/90 on 48th Street. Alas, the "little" expenses do add up plus a hotel night plus meals - still cheaper than flying south to Florida for 4 vis-a-vis savings from lower cruise fares & more ports to choose among the competitions ...

Edited by mking8288

The price of Amtrak is crazy. The want $180 round trip from Philadelphia to DC. I can drive there in 2.5 hours

The price of Amtrak is crazy. The want $180 round trip from Philadelphia to DC. I can drive there in 2.5 hours

I agree it's crazy but even with driving there you have to consider gas, wear and tear on the car, and most importantly.....your parking costs.

Harriet

From Boston to grand central means Amtrak to a metro north stop like Stamford or new Rochelle and then standing on the same platform for metro north to grand central....Which is no big deal btw

But most people from Boston would just go Amtrak to penn station

Just an FYI..... Amtrak does not go to grand central it goes to penn

Thanks - not living in the city, I always get the name of the station confused. I just remember that several of my formal co-workers used to take the train to and from Boston/NYC all the time b/c they didn't want to drive or pay parking fees in Manhattan.

Sailing out of NY, Manhattan Terminal in June. Wondering if anyone has experience with a decent place to stay the night before in the area, as well as a suggestion for parking for the week, without breaking the bank, would rather spend the $ during the vacation. That being said, I know it is going to cost me, just looking for options where folks have had good experiences. It has been suggested to stay outside of the city with the horrendous lack of parking...appreciate any feedback that you all may have. Coming from Boston, almost wish I had taken the Dawn but opted for the bigger newer ship :) ...maybe next time

We live in Rhode Island and when we took the Gem from NY a couple of years ago it was cheaper to take the train + a cab to the ship than it was to pay for parking (not including gas, tolls, and the pain of driving through NYC).

<<Like>> this option, if spending time seeing Times Square, Macy's/34th Street & 9/11 Memorial, etc. aren't important to OP.

On the other forum that I've linked, 138east/Carol is one of the cruise wizard on these hotel deals & specials, faster than my online search browsers on.

A quickie lookup on this June's Amtrak fares for 4, even with AAA adult discounts - is not "cheap". Bolt Bus/Mega Bus with arrival on the day before would be another consideration to compare prices.

Roof-top parking at the pier for a pickup is the same at $40 daily including all taxes & fees, no surcharges whereas most if not all nearby commercial garages do hit you usually, extra $10 daily for oversize/height/length/etc. Park Rite on W. 43rd. Street by 11th Ave. is often a discount alternative with online deals found by some - and a 6 to 7 city blocks walk to the street level exit from Pier 88/90 on 48th Street. Alas, the "little" expenses do add up plus a hotel night plus meals - still cheaper than flying south to Florida for 4 vis-a-vis savings from lower cruise fares & more ports to choose among the competitions ...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for all the input! Probably leaning towards an option like the Stamford area then driving to the pier. So there is a garage right on the pier huh? Literally walking distance to the ship? This is exactly what I would be looking for, easy quick in and out. Still plenty of time to consider different options, eager to hear any other opinions also, TY

We live in Rhode Island and when we took the Gem from NY a couple of years ago it was cheaper to take the train + a cab to the ship than it was to pay for parking (not including gas, tolls, and the pain of driving through NYC).

It's actually painless for the most part to get to the pier by car and one if the few places in NYC that I am willing to drive and park at

No need to transverse the island at all

From the north you just breeze down the Henry Hudson pky to the west side highway and simply drive into the lot.

From jersey it's up the west side

From Long Island or queens I would take a car service or lirr

Brooklyn anything goes as they are a hardy bunch

When we did a 9 night N.Y. vacation , I found a one day one way car rental is Cheaper than parking .

J.M.H.O.

I also live in the Boston area and have cruised out of NYC twice. When it was just the two of us, we opted to take the coach bus through Norwegian. It has pick ups in Woburn at the T station and a few others early that morning (7am I think?) and drops you off at the pier about 11am or earlier. Only $60 pp round trip. ( as of last year) Well worth it!!

Edited by AEckhardt

We drove down to Stamford CT from NH. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. We were able to leave the car there in the parking garage all week for free. Hotel shuttle took us to the train station. Then we took the train from Stamford to Penn Station. We took a cab from Penn to the ship.