It's the day after Labor Day - put away your white!

BEAV

I would say it depends on the material they are made out of...

kitkat,

Exactly, that's what most of us have been saying. winter white wool or velvet is terrific in the fall or winter. White linen or cotton is not. It's the fabric, not the color.

jane

After seeing some fashion shows and reviewing the fall collections in magazines..."winter white" is in again for the 2005/06 season. That includes wool slacks, coats, sweaters, jackets, etc. So I can't see how this rule applies...even for us "Northern" folk.

I think winter white is great. My summer whites are getting packed away as soon as I have time.

I won't wear winter white pants here when the snow/slush sets in, they would get ruined. But I agree with Jane, it's the fabric that matters.

I think a winter white wool jacket with black buttons and black pants could be stunning. I saw such an outfit recently and it looked beautiful. I think the key is not to overdo winter white also.

Also remember winter is different for everyone depending on where you live.

I think winter white is great. My summer whites are getting packed away as soon as I have time.

Lucky you to have so much closet space! My entire wardrobe stays in place all year. :o

I won't wear winter white pants here when the snow/slush sets in, they would get ruined. But I agree with Jane, it's the fabric that matters.

We rarely have snow/slush here, so that is not an issue for us. And of course the fabric is most important - that is what keeps us warm!! I am cold-natured anyway, so I really bundle up in the winter!

I think the key is not to overdo winter white also.

Depends on your taste. I have tons of white for winter. I think it's hard to beat a gorgeous white sweater in the winter - I have three and love them all! Even my ski outfit has a white jacket, with a little black on the sides so I don't disappear on the slopes! :D

Winter is soo desparately long up here... please don't beat me up if I wear my summer whites.... a time or two after labor day... thank goodness. they are forecasting a few more days in the 80s and I plan to stay in denial a little longer.... and then of course I fly off to Florida in October for vacation!! :D

My wife and I have booked an October cruise on Tahitian Princess, being from Australia "the no white rule " is unheard of and is causing a few concerns.

DW is concerned that as the majority of our soon to be campanions will be from the US, my white tuxedo jacket may be perceived as an inappropriate... can someone clarify or make a suggestion

my white tuxedo jacket may be perceived as an inappropriate... can someone clarify or make a suggestion.

YOUR WHITE TUXEDO JACKET WILL BE FINE..............

I AM SURE YOU WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ONE IN A WHITE JACKET...

DON'T WORRY ABOUT CLOTHES.........

JUST WEAR WHAT YOU HAVE AND HAVE A GREAT TIME.........

HAPPY CRUISING.............

BARBARA

You know, I was sitting here thinking what I need to put away that is white... and I have nothing! I do not wear white pants or shorts due to the fact that I always get stuff on me. It is a fact that if I wear white, I will get dirty. They are magnet pants.

I did put away some of my 'light weight' pants for the season already though. It is starting to get chilly up here in MA and summer pants will not do.

For all of you who can wear white and smile... I congratulate you! :D

It was 90 degrees here today. I wore my white linen capri pants, a lime green tank, and a white linen short-sleeve blouse with some lime green and fushia flowers embroidered on it as a "jacket" over the tank top with lime green strappy sandals. I got lot's of complements. I felt comfortable. And, most importantly, the fashion police were no where to be seen so I was not arrested for my blatant criminal act :eek: !;) :D

You know, I was sitting here thinking what I need to put away that is white... and I have nothing!

We must be distant relatives RachelD (LOL)...as I don't wear white often unless it is a blouse, or silk tank top.

Had the hardest time finding something in white that I liked when I got married in July. I found the most beautiful red gown...but my sister had fits, so I searched for a white dress. Bought one about 5 days before the wedding. I *could* wear it again for a formal occassion, but I just don't care for white.

The white shoes I wore...well, they were worn once before, and will probably never be worn again.

At least wearing white after Laborday is one fashion faux pas I will never make ;)

But it was 94 degrees here today, so I did wear my linen pants. I would love to see the leaves turning and have the cooler temps like you do in MA!

I am green with envy.

~e

I clean and pack all my summer whites away as they would turn yellow. Yes, I'm fortunate to have the closet space to do this, but not on hangers, it's mostly folded as I don't have that much white.

When I said overdoo, I meant head to toe winter white, not how many pieces, sorry, I should have phrased it better. I too had a white and black ski jacket that I wore with black ski pants and it looked great. I'm not a big fan of white in general but that's just me.

But for me winter white in the winter would be ruined and can only wear it in fall or late fall before the snow/slush/rain really starts which is a short season usually and prefer to keep the winter white on top for myself with black pants.

When it's really hot after labor day like today and tomorrow, I'll wear beige instead of white (pants) as for tops, I'll wear a white blouse, sweater etc all year if the fabric is season appropriate.

I'm in Florida and I don't arbitrarily put away my whites on a certain day. I love white and wear it often throughtout the year. I do know of many "proper" southerners who DO put great stock in the old fashioned rules of decorum and general mandates to live by. They would not be caught dead breaking this rule which I'm sure is chiseled in stone somewhere...(maybe on the family crest?)

That's interesting. Most "proper" southern women don't wear white shoes after Laborday, but will still wear white into the fall until the weather cools off.

Never heard anyone mention not wearing white clothing in the south after a certain day. Pastels are also usually reserved for the spring or summer with earth tones being more prominent once the heat subsides.

~e

We must be distant relatives RachelD (LOL)...as I don't wear white often unless it is a blouse, or silk tank top.

Had the hardest time finding something in white that I liked when I got married in July. I found the most beautiful red gown...but my sister had fits, so I searched for a white dress. Bought one about 5 days before the wedding. I *could* wear it again for a formal occassion, but I just don't care for white.

But it was 94 degrees here today, so I did wear my linen pants. I would love to see the leaves turning and have the cooler temps like you do in MA!

~e

mrsred~ That is so funny that you do not wear white for bottoms either! I thought I was the only one... everyone I know loves to dig out their white pants/shorts after Memorial Day! I love a white shirt though! My best colors for tops are white, red and black. (It's the olive coloring in my skin.)

Well, we have hit a bit of a warm spell here. It has been around 80 degrees the past couple of days, but unless it is 85 degrees, I am not truly comfortable. I like my days warm! The leaves are starting to change and I do love that! Our backyard will look so bright with all of the reds and yellows!

I think "rules" about clothing are silly. I'll wear my summer clothes until I am uncomfortable in them. And since I have plenty of "personal summer" I may be wearing them until Feb. (and I am a Northerner. Maybe it is because I am a woman of size.(and then some) maybe it is because I am in my fifties but I really could not care about rules that someone else made up. My rule is "do what floats your boat" and my boat is comfort.

My mother was another mom that let the date dictate what you wore. You wore your coat until April even if it was 95 degrees. She was a big believer in the fashion rules "what will they think" etc. Maybe that's why I am so fashion liberated.

mrsred~ That is so funny that you do not wear white for bottoms either! I thought I was the only one... everyone I know loves to dig out their white pants/shorts after Memorial Day! I love a white shirt though! My best colors for tops are white, red and black. (It's the olive coloring in my skin.)

Well, we have hit a bit of a warm spell here. It has been around 80 degrees the past couple of days, but unless it is 85 degrees, I am not truly comfortable. I like my days warm! The leaves are starting to change and I do love that! Our backyard will look so bright with all of the reds and yellows!

That is so strange RachelD that there is someone else out there who thinks the same way! So many people just love to wear white. I have never been a fan of white.

Now I love my white sweaters (for the one week a year I get to wear them in Houston), but besides white tops, I just don't care for it.

After talking with my advisor today, it appears that I may have to leave Houston to pursue a graduate degree (no tears here!). The most promising universities are the ones in either the north east, or the north west. Either way...I can break out my wonderful fall clothes!

Oh to have more than 2 seasons a year (although I doubt one week of freezing temps qualifies as a season ;)). That would be wonderful :D

I lived in Colorado for a time years ago, and I remember the Aspens changing color, and that cool breeze during the day (of course I'm blocking out the brutal winters and -20 degree temps!).

So...I guess we'll let everyone else wear their white "bottoms" LOL!

~e

Well, here in NY the weather has been still summerlike. Therefore, I am still wearing my summer clothes (96 degrees yesterday). May wear my white blazer, but probably won't break out the summer white pants again. I love winter white. I think it looks so great and very elegant. But my winter whites are wool fabrics, so clearly for colder weather.

I do agree that climate really is the key and not some fashion dates. Traditionally here in the Northeast, the weather does change to fall pretty shortly after Labor Day. This year is an exception I think, as it's still very warm. As a kid I remember wearing wool skirts on the first day of school. I really do love having 4 seasons. There is a change over of wardrobe and to me it feels like a fresh start each change over. No time to get bored of my clothes!

I'm in Florida and I don't arbitrarily put away my whites on a certain day. I love white and wear it often throughtout the year. I do know of many "proper" southerners who DO put great stock in the old fashioned rules of decorum and general mandates to live by. They would not be caught dead breaking this rule which I'm sure is chiseled in stone somewhere...(maybe on the family crest?)

I don't think this is limited to "proper southerners."

I was raised in the northeast and it has always stuck with me not to wear white after Labor Day. Maybe because I have very little white anyway, it has never been a big deal. But I just can't put on those white flip flops anymore!

Some things just seem to stay with me and this is one of them. Black patent leather shoes was another one although I have not owned any of those in more years than I can count!

My wife and I have booked an October cruise on Tahitian Princess, being from Australia "the no white rule " is unheard of and is causing a few concerns.

DW is concerned that as the majority of our soon to be campanions will be from the US, my white tuxedo jacket may be perceived as an inappropriate... can someone clarify or make a suggestion

The white rule after labor day applies to the colder climates in the US. If your cruise is in the caribbean it does not apply. I live in Ga (part of the suothern US)and we still wear white after labor day. Here we are still having 90 degree days. We pretty much see white as long as it is hitting 75 or 80 degrees. Most of us here are not wearing our fall stuff-most don't until Nov. I usually put away my summer stuff right before Halloween.

Archived