It's the day after Labor Day - put away your white!

BEAV

Beav,

Thanks for the chuckle!

At the end of last summer, I bought a beautiful pair of white sandals on sale that I only got to wear once. I put them away in the closet for this summer and forgot all about them, til 2 weeks ago. :( So, in the past two weeks I wore them 3 times and last night, put them back in their box til next summer......well, actually, they'll come with me to Australia in February where it will be summer again! :)

Bye bye summer whites!

Jane

It's after Labor Day, kids.......let's not catch anyone wearing white!!

http://www.csittl.com/old/03list73.html

Exemption: The Caribbean!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=5&tid=34444166

Bite your tongue! Since it is still in the 90s here and our leaves don't turn colors, die, then fall off, I'm wearing my white!

I have to agree with the weather comment. It's still at least 80 here every day in North Carolina, and the sight of pumpkins and fall foliage in stores makes me a little ill (Pumpkin pie in 80 degree weather? I don't think so!).

I'll keep my white out until end of September, at least. :)

I have not even given a thought to putting any of my summer clothes away. As a matter of fact, I did not even think of it until I read this topic.

I will keep my summer clothes out including, my whites until it is too cool to wear them. I remember when I was a child and my mother insisted I start wearing my fall clothes at a certain date. For me it was Rosh Hashsonah. It was usuisally early September and I remember being so very warm and uncomfortable.

Well, never again. I love my new clothes, but not until the weather says it's time!

Linda

I Have My White Pants On Right Now..........

While The Weather Is Summer,i'll

Keep My White Clothes...........

I Don't Like Fall And Winter Clothes Colors..

I Just Don't Like All Those Dark Colors.....

I Love The Bright Colors,pinks Orange,yellow.........

I Am A Spring And Summer Person.............

We are still wearing our white here in GA too but today's high forcast is 86. I do feel a differance though-early morning and evening there is a crispness in the air that is hinting fall is coming. That is so nice and usually we don't feel that hint until October.

I wonder if that means we are in for a nasty winter.That figures with what our heating bills will be because of Katrina. But I am not complaining-I still have a home and an income. I am counting my blsessings and I am sure those poor displaced folks are glad to have clothing even if it is white or the dreaded holiday velvet.

It's just that everyone hasn't yet heard the good news yet. Some of us have been so indoctrinated and enslaved by the archaic and stultifiying rule, we are still confounded.

We sisters must unite to pass the word the rest of us that they are no longer bound by those fashion chain of the past as our mothers and grandmothers were. Wear white with pride, all year round. :)

Haven't you heard, white is the new black! :D (I am speaking of clothing) (I am not refering to shoes, though, I do not like white shoes exept on brides, I think they make my feet look bigger. Heaven forfend ;) )

Linda

It's just that everyone hasn't yet heard the good news yet. Some of us have been so indoctrinated and enslaved by the archaic and stultifiying rule, we are still confounded.

We sisters must unite to pass the word the rest of us that they are no longer bound by those fashion chain of the past as our mothers and grandmothers were. Wear white with pride, all year round. :)

Haven't you heard, white is the new black! :D (I am speaking of clothing) (I am not refering to shoes, though, I do not like white shoes exept on brides, I think they make my feet look bigger. Heaven forfend ;) )

Linda

I am going to be a bride in November & I wearing SILVER shoes!!! :)

But I am having a shower next weekend & will be wearing white shoes with my white skirt... I love "breaking the rules"!!!! :p

I wore a white sleeveless blouse today, and I wore white slides yesterday. I don't care what day it is - white is a year-round part of my wardrobe.

You live in the south. Things are different in the northern climate where we have very distinct seasons.

Last night we went out to dinner and there was a definite chill in the air. The sun is setting distincly earlier and the air feels different than from just a couple of weeks ago. For the first time in months, I needed to wear a light cotton jacket, though I still wore sandals. (black) Lots of people were wearing twin sweater sets, denim jackets and long sleeves.

In the past 4 days I have not seen anyone in pastel cotton pants, white pants or white sandals. They'd look silly if they did. The no white after Labor Day makes perfect sense in this climate. Of course, I'll be taking my summer whites with me to Florida over Thanksgiving. :)

Jane

I have never understood exactly WHAT the no white rule has to do with Labor Day?! It's supposed to be in the upper 80's, lower 90's here, so I am still wearing shorts, sandals, capris, sundresses until it gets too cold. So, if there are any other Iowans out there, I'm the 40+ gal wandering around breaking the rule in my white summer clothes!!:D

The one exception to that is on my motorcycle. It seems that no matter how warm it is durning the day, that ride home is chilly...So I wear jeans and take my jacket along. :rolleyes:

Jane110 - I agree with you. Just doesn't seem to work in NY to still wear white, however I was at the US Open last night and was SHOCKED at how many people were still wearing white (and not just tennis whites!) It was a beautiful NYC night for sure, and I did wear a sweaterset and sandal with my black slacks. But I was really surprised at the number of people that were still wearing white pants and white capri's. So many that I actually took mental note of watching what they were wearing. There were a few men in white tennis shorts which I just thought was funny. It was like they had to say "I don't just watch tennis, but I play it too!!" (hee hee)

I too thought this was a thing of the past,not that I wear too much white,it does'nt do well on plus size women,sorry to offend anyone,but if I could wear white pants I would,year round. I would say it depends on the material they are made out of...

I still stick pretty much to the "no white after Labor Day" rule. I have expanded to wearing white shoes and pants for most of the month of May and wore white shoes earlier this week.

After this I switch to transitional stuff and closed toe shoes.

You live in the south. Things are different in the northern climate where we have very distinct seasons.

Well I agree with you Jane, but I still disagree with the "no white after Labor Day" silliness. I just don't believe it applies anymore - anywhere. Even in NYC you will find beautiful winter clothes...in white. I know, I have shopped there often.

Colors do tend to be more muted, but white is always around.

Jane110 - I agree with you. Just doesn't seem to work in NY to still wear white, however I was at the US Open last night and was SHOCKED at how many people were still wearing white (and not just tennis whites!) It was a beautiful NYC night for sure, and I did wear a sweaterset and sandal with my black slacks. But I was really surprised at the number of people that were still wearing white pants and white capri's. So many that I actually took mental note of watching what they were wearing. There were a few men in white tennis shorts which I just thought was funny. It was like they had to say "I don't just watch tennis, but I play it too!!" (hee hee)

joelmarj,

They must have been tourists! :)

Jane

Archived