Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

Do you know whats the process if i want to reduce or remove my prepaid dsc onboard?

You would go to guest services. But depending on what we find out about whether specialty servers are or are not included in the DSC, I may just be adjusting or removing the 18% fees instead. Especially if they do not change the website to remove the statements that say the DSC covers pretty much all need for tipping.

Wait...

We can only order one entree per specialty restaurant? Am I reading this property? That doesn't seem special.

You can only order one entree at Cagney's. You can order multiple at the others. You can also get the upcharge items included with the UDP as well as a 20% discount on ala carte items. Additionally you can actually visit more then one in a single night if you wish (Apps in one and entrees in another type of thing)

6&8

One person "called" NCL and was "told" this. What was reported happened to be exactly the story this person was pushing which I find unlikely. The Terms on the website have been updated to include the 18%, but still include servers in the DSC. As you know the specialties are only one part of their job as they also work in the buffets and other dining rooms for breakfast and lunch. Based on this information it is pretty clear IMHO that they are still part of the DSC. 6&8

Two people on this thread have reported they spoke to NCL and they both were told the specialty servers are no longer in the DSC pool.

It sounds like the info is pretty consistent.

Two people on this thread have reported they spoke to NCL and they both were told the specialty servers are no longer in the DSC pool.

Read the terms of service....its in black and white from corporate not a call center operator....

One is verifiable published fact, the other heresy from a person trying to prove their point.....which is more reliable?

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

I don't think it matters much that they are included or not per Ncl right now. Ncl is going to spin this however it will make this believable by those who won't see it for what this is. An additional gratuity on top of the DSC. Logically speaking and in practice, they were always included and there is no reason to believe they won't be now. If anything the DSC should be reduced to offset the additional gratuity, not increased. Doesn't make sense and the math doesn't work imho.

So .. these folks are working from 6pm - 10pm? I find that very hard to believe. If we are to believe that they are excluded, then we must conclude that the only dining establishments they work in are the specialties. I have a hard time believe that.

I know that on our last cruise the suite breakfast server was our same server in the evening when we went to the same specialty restaurant. This was on the Sun so the suite breakfast was in La Cucina.

There's just 2 of us, so at the specialties, we usually leave around $5 tip regardless of the restaurant. Turns out adding the 18% tip will only add .40 cents for the $15 specialties, $3.20 for the $20 ones, $4 for Teppanaki, and an extra $5.80 for Cagney's. Not anything that should cause this many pages of responses for folks who normally tip. Hmmm.

Edited by rpb718

It looks to me like NCL have given away so many free UBP and UDP that they want to recoup some lost revenue.

But in my view that just penalises the folk (like me) who booked 18 months ago, have received nothing for free, have seen the DSC increase (by nearly $40 for a family of 4), drinks gratuity (on drinks they have to pay for because they didn't get the UBP promo) go up to 18% and are now expected to stump up an extra 18% to eat in a speciality restaurant.

So thanks for that NCL. Feeling well and truly stitched up now! I think that's an appalling shoddy way to treat the folk who booked in good faith before NCL started throwing in the moon on a stick to get people to book up.

I will however make sure that my OBA shows the same as it would have done when I booked and they can stick their extra charges where the sun doesn't shine.

I know that on our last cruise the suite breakfast server was our same server in the evening when we went to the same specialty restaurant. This was on the Sun so the suite breakfast was in La Cucina.

There's just 2 of us, so at the specialties, we usually leave around $5 tip regardless of the restaurant. Turns out adding the 18% tip will only add .40 cents for the $15 specialties, $3.20 for the $20 ones, $4 for Teppanaki, and an extra $5.80 for Cagney's. Not anything that should cause this many pages of responses for folks who normally tip. Hmmm.

Those tip adds are correct...per person. So my DH and I would now spend $11.60 more in Cagney's, plus an additional 1.90 in DSC per day...so yes, sorry but now we're talking closer to $15 per day just in tips...I think that is cause for a lot of pages of responses. Especially since it is NOT clear they are removing specialty dining room staff from DSC. Double dipping and I for one will seriously consider "adjusting" for this.

Did any people on the ship now ask the specialty staff, if they had been removed from the DSC? Because the NCL phone reps aren't exactly know for being knowledgeable and update on stuff....

Those tip adds are correct...per person. So my DH and I would now spend $11.60 more in Cagney's, plus an additional 1.90 in DSC per day...so yes, sorry but now we're talking closer to $15 per day just in tips...I think that is cause for a lot of pages of responses. Especially since it is NOT clear they are removing specialty dining room staff from DSC. Double dipping and I for one will seriously consider "adjusting" for this.

Not sure where you get $11.60. 2 x 30 = 60 * .18 = 10.80. Plus $1.90 = $12.70 - about the cost of a drink with the 18% gratuity. But go to La Cucina and it's just $5.40. Add your $1.90 to that and it's only $7.30.

Tip, or don't tip, that's your choice. Seems NCL is speaking loud and clear to those folks who have not left any tips after a specialty dinner. And are you really considering "adjusting" for this after you got "a great deal" for your cabin which now includes UDP? Sheesh indeed.

Edited by rpb718

Did you ever stop to consider that the DSC is not portioned out to the individual staff equally based on position? It has been stated by former employees on CC that it is handed out in a way to recognize excellent performance and promote teamwork. Perhaps those who work in the specialty restaurants, because they also work in other positions, are still able to benefit from the DSC, but not to the point that they could have previously.

There is A LOT of speculation here based on little to no knowledge of how the DSC is distributed. However, based on what I have read over the year or so I've been on CC, I believe the DSC to be pooled into more of an incentive program.

Nobody here seems bothered by the fact you are expected to tip bartenders. When you purchase the UBP gratuity is charged on top of the purchase price. Now, when you purchase the UDP, the same will apply. If you pay per drink you are charge an automatic gratuity, same with the specialty restaurants.

This argument is pointless until you know the facts and it seems NCL will not reveal how they handle the DSC, so simply decide if you are willing to pay it or not and move on.

On the NCL Website:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. ]Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge[[/b]/COLOR]. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, Pride of America has a service charge of 18% for all spa and salon services, and all other ships have an automatic gratuity of 18% for all spa and salon services and 18% for beverage service.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

This is new as of today. It makes me believe what I'm reading. Restaurant staff ARE included in the DSC. Now the part about 'no required tipping on our ships' just makes me laugh since they ARE requiring an 18% tip in the specialty restaurants.

Harriet

Nobody here seems bothered by the fact you are expected to tip bartenders. When you purchase the UBP gratuity is charged on top of the purchase price.

However, the bartenders are NOT a part of the DSC that I pay.

Harriet

Did you ever stop to consider that the DSC is not portioned out to the individual staff equally based on position? It has been stated by former employees on CC that it is handed out in a way to recognize excellent performance and promote teamwork. Perhaps those who work in the specialty restaurants, because they also work in other positions, are still able to benefit from the DSC, but not to the point that they could have previously.

There is A LOT of speculation here based on little to no knowledge of how the DSC is distributed. However, based on what I have read over the year or so I've been on CC, I believe the DSC to be pooled into more of an incentive program.

Nobody here seems bothered by the fact you are expected to tip bartenders. When you purchase the UBP gratuity is charged on top of the purchase price. Now, when you purchase the UDP, the same will apply. If you pay per drink you are charge an automatic gratuity, same with the specialty restaurants.

This argument is pointless until you know the facts and it seems NCL will not reveal how they handle the DSC, so simply decide if you are willing to pay it or not and move on.

Thank you.

]

Because bartenders are not part of the DSC whatsoever, their tips comes from the 18% automatic tips that are charged on the drinks. That's the difference, so a person who's not a drinker of paid drinks whatsoever is not tipping a barkeep via the DSC - the same should also apply to specialty restaurant staff when people are not dining in those restaurants as well.

On the NCL Website:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. ]Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge[[/b]/COLOR]. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, Pride of America has a service charge of 18% for all spa and salon services, and all other ships have an automatic gratuity of 18% for all spa and salon services and 18% for beverage service.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

This is new as of today. It makes me believe what I'm reading. Restaurant staff ARE included in the DSC. Now the part about 'no required tipping on our ships' just makes me laugh since they ARE requiring an 18% tip in the specialty restaurants.

Harriet

So basically if I dine at specialty restaurant once or twice during the week without the UDP - I'm tipping once via the DSC and again due to the automatic 18%. And if I'm not dining at the specialty restaurant, I'm still tipping them via DSC with the new policy in place; but if I don't drink alcohol / soda, the bartender doesn't get tip from the DSC. So the bartenders and MDR/buffet staff are getting ripped off by this new policy since they only get tips from the automatic 18% on drinks (bartenders) and DSC (MDR / buffet) only. Yes, NCL needs to clean up the confusion ASAP.

"Generally rendered to all guests" mean included services. Dining in a specialty restaurant is NOT an included service.

It further says "restaurant staff" not "specialty restaurant staff" which may be their official title.

I understand this is semantics, but that's how lawyers find their loopholes.

Edited by AEckhardt

So basically if I dine at specialty restaurant once or twice during the week without the UDP - I'm tipping once via the DSC and again due to the automatic 18%.

Correct

And if I'm not dining at the specialty restaurant, I'm still tipping them via DSC with the new policy in place;

Correct, UNLESS they stipulate that specialty restaurant staff aren't included in the DSC but their website says they are

but if I don't drink alcohol / soda, the bartender doesn't get tip from the DSC.

Correct. The bartenders only get 18% tips on the drinks they sell

So the bartenders and MDR/buffet staff are getting ripped off by this new policy since they only get tips from the automatic 18% on drinks (bartenders) and DSC (MDR / buffet) only. Yes, NCL needs to clean up the confusion ASAP.

The MDR / Buffet/ and other wait staff are included in the DSC

Harriet

"Generally rendered to all guests" mean included services. Dining in a specialty restaurant is NOT an included service.

It further says "restaurant staff" not "specialty restaurant staff" which may be their official title.

I understand this is semantics, but that's how lawyers find their loopholes.

Okay.

I go to breakfast at the MDR and Nancy serves me.

I go to breakfast at the MDR and request Nancy and she serves me again.

I go to a specialty restaurant and see Nancy and ask her to serve me.

Nancy gets my DSC since she's in the MDR for breakfast and lunch

Nancy gets my 18% gratuity because she's in a specialty restaurant.

Nancy's doing quite well with my 18% specialty restaurant money and my DSC money!

That's double dipping or double tipping in my world.

Harriet

Have you ever asked why bartenders are not part of the DSC? Bar hopping is the epitome of Freestyle cruising. Just tip one recommended Freestyle service charge per day and it covers all your service at all bars and restaurants. But they don't do it that way.

They don't do that because every time you order something from a bar, you get a check where they can add an auto-tip. And this way people who drink less pay less in bar tips, people who drink more tip more, and that is the fair way to do it.

NCL wants to make (correction: they have just made) specialty dining the same. You get a check after your meal, so it is no problem to tip right away and there is no need to rely on the indirect Freestyle DSC system. And the people who use the specialty restaurants should be the ones paying the tips for specialty dining, not everyone on the ship. That is only fair.

The fact that specialty dining staff work in other venues sometimes is not a problem if NCL keeps track of their shifts. If they work in a specialty restaurant for one dinner shift, they are tipped as specialty dining staff for that shift. If they have buffet duty the next morning, and then MDR for lunch, they are not specialty restaurant staff for those shifts. It's not like each crew member gets a tattoo that says "DSC" or "non-DSC" and their status can never change. It changes from cruise to cruise, from day to day, from shift to shift.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Have you ever asked why bartenders are not part of the DSC? Bar hopping is the epitome of Freestyle cruising. Just tip one recommended service charge per day and it covers all your service at all bars and restaurants. But they don't do it that way.

They don't do that because every time you order something from a bar, you get a check where they can add an auto-tip. And this way people who drink less pay less in bar tips, people who drink more tip more, and that is the fair way to do it.

NCL wants to make specialty dining the same. You get a check after your meal, so it is no problem to tip right away and there is no need to rely on the indirect Freestyle DSC system. And the people who use the specialty restaurants should be the ones paying the tips for specialty dining, not everyone on the ship. That is only fair.

The fact that specialty dining staff work in other venues sometimes is not a problem if NCL keeps track of their shifts. If they work in a specialty restaurant for one dinner shift, they are tipped as specialty dining staff for that shift. If they have buffet duty the next morning, and then MDR for lunch, they are not specialty restaurant staff for those shifts. It's not like each crew member gets a tattoo that says "DSC" or "non-DSC" and their status can never change. It changes from cruise to cruise, from day to day, from shift to shift.

I understand what you are saying and it could/should work like that but do you really think that NCL is keeping track of where their wait staff is and taking the time to divide up the DSC in the proper way? I don't.

Harriet