Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

I'm still trying to understand why this change has caused such outrage. I'm one that always leaves a tip - a $1 for drinks and more $ for meals in the MDR and specialty dining, and even tips for my steward. When I'm in a suite, I also tip the butler and concierge. This change barely registers in my world and is just part of the cost for cruising.

Anyone that would claim to remove their 18% gratuity charge - for say a dinner for 4 at La Cucina (a whopping $10.80) - based on perceived bad service or food is certainly not someone I would want to be seated next to or cruising with. Frankly, if the service is bad a quick word with the Maitre' D should quickly fix the problem. And if the food is not to your liking, let your server know. Waiting until the meal is done to acknowledge bad service or food is just wrong - you wouldn't wait until the end of the cruise to complain that your bathroom was leaking.

Case in point, I had the Bouillabaisse in Le Bistro just about a week and a half ago. Well, one of the mussels hadn't opened - and you should never eat cooked shellfish that do not open when cooked. So I removed it and put it on my bread plate. The server noticed and I said that they would get me another mussel. What I ended up receiving was a half-size portion of the delicious mussels appetizer that contained more than a few mussels. I suppose I could have order a full-portion myself, but I didn't want that much food. A half-portion was perfect, but I would have never thought of it. Not worth a tip - you say?

With the deals I've been able to get from NCL recently, for the cruise I just got off of and my next one, even with the added charges I'm still coming out way ahead. For this change to really impact your budget you'd need to be non-platinum and eating in speciaty restarants more than 50% of the time - in which case you may as well purchase the UDP and be done with it. Otherwise, if you only eat at speciaties a couple times and can't come up with the extra $ it would cost to do so, just don't eat there.

Hi Jan, are passengers who have received the UDP as part of the current promo billed this new 18% gratuity? Furthermore are specialty restaurant staff part of the normal DSC?. What is the motivation behind so many increased charges in the last few weeks?

*Living large one week at a time*

OK..Part of the answer...from NCL

If u received the UDP free as part of a promo, the 18% gratuity is NOT charged.

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

OK..Part of the answer...from NCL

If u received the UDP free as part of a promo, the 18% gratuity is NOT charged.

Jancruz1

That's a great start, thank you for responding in a timely manner. Perhaps this will calm a few people

That's a great start, thank you for responding in a timely manner. Perhaps this will calm a few people

Working on a few of the other questions hope to hear back soon..

Jancruz1

I was reading on another social media site about 18% being added to other things on the ship such as pizza delivery and Carlos Bake/Cake Shop items. I was searching the NCL site for an answer to this but so far have not come up with one. If you could see if this is true or not it would be appreciated.

Thanks so much

Rochelle

There has always been a delivery charge for the pizza (I think?? I just sign the slip and tip, so I really don't know) ... but anything at Carlo's, Gelato, whatever, I will most definitely cross out that 18%.

and the sheep fall in line .... :rolleyes:

From "I wont dine in a specialty anymore" to "I will only remove the 18% if the service warrants".

Good job.

Ok, well - maybe one meal in Le Bistro.

Kidding.

Edited by SissasMomE

Great! I'm sure people won't "flame" you for being the messenger now if we could re-evaluate the freestyle sun deck issue[emoji85] jk lol

I have been here since the Board started. Anyone who knows me knows I couldn't give a rat's arse what anyone else has to say about me LOL

I really don't have a problem with the Freestyle deck :) I do have a problem with the foreigners in tight speedos though ;)

I have been here since the Board started. Anyone who knows me knows I couldn't give a rat's arse what anyone else has to say about me LOL

I really don't have a problem with the Freestyle deck :) I do have a problem with the foreigners in tight speedos though ;)

This will be my last post about this issue on this thread as to not hijack it, as per Jan of NCL,yesterday the freestyle sun deck has now been "closed" to topless or nude sunbathing, I was advocating in a joking manner to open it back up

NCL seems to really be pushing and pushing the Specialty restaurants.

I see a lot of posts here on cruise critic with complaints about NCL not offering items in the main dining rooms that they really liked ..... lobster, creme brulee, etc.

I'm just curious. I've not sailed on other lines but NCL, except for one cruise on Royal Caribbean and Premier Cruise Line many, many years ago.

Do the other lines, Carnival - Holland America - Princess, do the other cruise lines have so many Specialty Restaurants like NCL does???? And do they have so many pay food and treat areas? Like Carlo's, Coffee, that sort of thing?

Do the other lines have lots of days like NCL where they have tables set up in the Atrium or in the Pool Deck area, with souvenirs, t-shirts, jewelry, watches ........ that sort of thing?????

Do the other lines have all of the pay things like, Bingo - art auctions - pull tab thingies - all of those type things?

I'm really wondering how NCL compares to the other main-line cruise lines as far as the amount of events/places/dining that you have to pay extra for.

This will be my last post about this issue on this thread as to not hijack it, as per Jan of NCL,yesterday the freestyle sun deck has now been "closed" to topless or nude sunbathing, I was advocating in a joking manner to open it back up

They closed it? LOL I didn't know.

You just don't 'get it' and you never will. It's not the money...it's the fact one is being told what to do, along with paying the DSC. Forget it. Like I said, you'll never get it. I hope and pray I sit next to you one day! Just to piss you off! LOL

Harriet

Me too :D

Great! I'm sure people won't "flame" you for being the messenger now if we could re-evaluate the freestyle sun deck issue[emoji85] jk lol

I hope I wont be flamed..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I see a lot of posts here on cruise critic with complaints about NCL not offering items in the main dining rooms that they really liked ..... lobster, creme brulee, etc.

I'm just curious. I've not sailed on other lines but NCL, except for one cruise on Royal Caribbean and Premier Cruise Line many, many years ago.

Do the other lines, Carnival - Holland America - Princess, do the other cruise lines have so many Specialty Restaurants like NCL does???? And do they have so many pay food and treat areas? Like Carlo's, Coffee, that sort of thing?

Do the other lines have lots of days like NCL where they have tables set up in the Atrium or in the Pool Deck area, with souvenirs, t-shirts, jewelry, watches ........ that sort of thing?????

Do the other lines have all of the pay things like, Bingo - art auctions - pull tab thingies - all of those type things?

I'm really wondering how NCL compares to the other main-line cruise lines as far as the amount of events/places/dining that you have to pay extra for.

On our Getaway cruise, NCl introduced the "new" MDR menus. It was in the "test" phase. They menus have now been rolled out fleet wide. Anyway, the MDR food was definitely upgraded from last year. We really had no complaints at all. The prior year, I had a steak in the MDR that was paper thin and really insulting! Last year, I had a nice 10 ounce NY Strip with garlic butter in the MDR that was just delicious. Just an example ... but yes, while they have taken away some items from the MDR menus, they have added others and increased the quality.

Edited by SissasMomE

IMHO I believe FDR is doing the right thing with no nude sun batheing..I can see an old body in the mirror..no need to see more..ROTFL

Jan

Lol, I'm neither for it or against it, was just teasing you

Do the other lines, Carnival - Holland America - Princess, do the other cruise lines have so many Specialty Restaurants like NCL does???? And do they have so many pay food and treat areas? Like Carlo's, Coffee, that sort of thing? Carnival has A steakhouse, Disney has A upscale adults only dining room, others also have upcharge Asian and Bar food places.

Do the other lines have lots of days like NCL where they have tables set up in the Atrium or in the Pool Deck area, with souvenirs, t-shirts, jewelry, watches ........ that sort of thing????? Yes, Cunard does it even!

Do the other lines have all of the pay things like, Bingo - art auctions - pull tab thingies - all of those type things? Yes, however some lines the Bingo is cheaper and more fun.

They are all more alike than different -- except Norwegian is ALL open dining ALL the time rather than tucked away into a small area of a regular dining room.

Taking my first NCL cruise in June, what bothers me is first they increase the DSC with little notice and without grandfathering in those already booked ..We are paying for 4 people on this cruise , so the $44 extra is not a deal breaker. We always tip extra in cash as we have been pleased by the service , maybe not so much now. What I find upsetting is that there was no advance notice of the extra gratuity in the specialty restaurants and again no grandfathering. ...I was hoping I would like NCL 's product , now I'm not so sure. Three months till my cruise and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop

You just don't 'get it' and you never will. It's not the money...it's the fact one is being told what to do, along with paying the DSC. Forget it. Like I said, you'll never get it. I hope and pray I sit next to you one day! Just to piss you off! LOL

Harriet

Who here remembers the days when the MDRs were close to empty on the final night? Now we have the DSC. And folks who ordered drinks without tipping, now you have the tip automatically added. Now you can say who remembers the days of eating in specialty restaurants and not having to tip.

They are "forcing" it on you now because so many were not doing it. As regular tippers, it's not a reflection on you or me. However, it is indicative of the cruise populace as a whole that there was a number who do not.

And really, who wouldn't want to sit next to me in a specialty restaurant.

Who here remembers the days when the MDRs were close to empty on the final night? Now we have the DSC. And folks who ordered drinks without tipping, now you have the tip automatically added. Now you can say who remembers the days of eating in specialty restaurants and not having to tip.

They are "forcing" it on you now because so many were not doing it. As regular tippers, it's not a reflection on you or me. However, it is indicative of the cruise populace as a whole that there was a number who do not.

And really, who wouldn't want to sit next to me in a specialty restaurant.

Who here remembers when the auto-gratuity was implemented and NCL said tipping was not necessary nor expected ? Let's be fair about this. Don't try to justify the company's actions. They set the rules many years ago and now are changing them.