Proof of 18% gratuity on specialty restaurants

hpecorari

[quote name='triptolemus']If that's the case, then a simple update to the pertinent pages on their website would be more than a little helpful in not putting a bunch of people off (right or wrong). If they can change the UDP page, they can change the DSC page. What the hell is wrong over there? So stupid.[/QUOTE]Yes it would.

[quote name='russianmom']Here's what wrong over there....:eek::eek:

[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/cruise-like-a-norwegian-proponent-is-among-the-layoffs.html?nspPage=1[/url]

[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/svp-crane-gladding-has-exited-norwegian.html?nspPage=1[/url]

[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-trims-shoreside-workforce.html?nspPage=1[/url][/QUOTE]NCL did tell me when I called that there were going through some reorganizations right now.

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I spoke to NCL and you don't have to bring a thing. The 18% is charged when you purchase the UDP. Those that purchased it prior to the change doesn't have to pay it and those that purchased the UDP after the change will be charged for it when they purchase the UDP. The restaurant has no idea if you paid the 18 percent or not or when you purchased it and would not be charging it to anyone with an UDP, only those that eat in the restaurants without the package.

The gratuity is not charged on comp meals. It would be charged on upcharge items, like the lobster.

NCL also said that the Specialty Restaurant servers are not included in the DSC, that now it is just the complimentary dining staff, housekeepers, etc.

.Now, you can believe this or not, your choice.[/QUOTE]

We post direct quotes from the Terms of Service and you deny them and then post that you had a call and it magically confirmed everything you said....interesting logic....

Until the Terms are updated to reflect what you say it is pure hearsay. If in fact they were removing a chunk of people from the DSC why then was an increase in the DSC also needed?

6&8

[quote name='NLH Arizona']I spoke to NCL and you don't have to bring a thing. The 18% is charged when you purchase the UDP. Those that purchased it prior to the change doesn't have to pay it and those that purchased the UDP after the change will be charged for it when they purchase the UDP. The restaurant has no idea if you paid the 18 percent or not or when you purchased it and would not be charging it to anyone with an UDP, only those that eat in the restaurants without the package.

The gratuity is not charged on comp meals. It would be charged on upcharge items, like the lobster.

NCL also said that the Specialty Restaurant servers are not included in the DSC, that now it is just the complimentary dining staff, housekeepers, etc.

.Now, you can believe this or not, your choice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reporting this....I appreciate it ;)

[quote name='sixesandeights']Quite the different situation. Here the servers are already earning a tip from the DSC. In a land based restaurant they are not getting a DSC and therefor a tip on the pre-giftcard bill is appropriate. And again if you purchase the UDP today they add the gratuity at checkout not in the restaurant so in fact we do know that it will not also be added on the ship, much like the UBP.

6&8[/QUOTE]

Well except that people who call NCL and inquire are now being told that the specialty servers are NO LONGER included in the DSC pool, thus the reason for the added 18% gratuity. Now I would certainly like to see this clarified somewhere on the NCL website, but if this is the case, then the server indeed is being stiffed an 18% tip for those folks who got the free packages and there are lots of them. You know, 18% of zero is zero. And actually, the bartenders have some room to gripe as well as they are losing out on an auto tip for all those free drinks. But I agree, it is currently not being added to the free UDPs although it makes no sense to me that it is not.

[quote name='punkincc']Well except that people who call NCL and inquire are now being told that the specialty servers are NO LONGER included in the DSC pool, thus the reason for the added 18% gratuity. Now I would certainly like to see this clarified somewhere on the NCL website, but if this is the case, then the server indeed is being stiffed an 18% tip for those folks who got the free packages and there are lots of them. You know, 18% of zero is zero. And actually, the bartenders have some room to gripe as well as they are losing out on an auto tip for all those free drinks. But I agree, it is currently not being added to the free UDPs although it makes no sense to me that it is not.[/QUOTE]

So .. these folks are working from 6pm - 10pm? I find that very hard to believe. If we are to believe that they are excluded, then we must conclude that the only dining establishments they work in are the specialties. I have a hard time believe that.

[quote name='russianmom']Here's what wrong over there....:eek::eek:
[url]http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-trims-shoreside-workforce.html?nspPage=1[/url][/QUOTE]

Hmmmm ... :eek: :rolleyes: - nothing "wrong" as stock price is up another 8 cents today at market close. Wall Street likes the massive firing ... ops, the political correct term is "upsizing" and buzzword is "streamlining" :mad: - one analyst's firm gave it an Outperform rating of $65 target price (currently, around $53 per share)

Heck with nickels & dimes - trim the back office & front of the house ops by a few hundred at a time, and that'll pay for the CEO's bonus & incentives while looking good squeezing the passengers with their big, fat wallets - nice, huh. NOT. :confused:

[quote name='SissasMomE']So .. these folks are working from 6pm - 10pm? I find that very hard to believe. If we are to believe that they are excluded, then we must conclude that the only dining establishments they work in are the specialties. I have a hard time believe that.[/QUOTE]

I don't know the answer to that one either. I am sure they are doing Breakfast and Lunch somewhere and then the Specialties at night. We don't know what they were getting out of the DSC before and maybe the 18% makes up for it, but I don't see how unless their salary is more than I think. I guess we can't assume they are paid like servers in US restaurants. Don't know why they did not just boost the DSC and then just compensate them as they wished. IMO they do deserve more than someone who works 3 meals in the MDRs and Buffet, but I don't know whey they could not have just accomplished this with the DSC.

[quote name='SissasMomE']So .. these folks are working from 6pm - 10pm? I find that very hard to believe. If we are to believe that they are excluded, then we must conclude that the only dining establishments they work in are the specialties. I have a hard time believe that.[/QUOTE]

As do I. There is no way they're not working somewhere else prior to their 'night job' at a specialty restaurant.

Harriet

[quote name='mking8288']Hmmmm ... :eek: :rolleyes: - nothing "wrong" as stock price is up another 8 cents today at market close. Wall Street likes the massive firing ... ops, the political correct term is "upsizing" and buzzword is "streamlining" :mad: - one analyst's firm gave it an Outperform rating of $65 target price (currently, around $53 per share)

Heck with nickels & dimes - trim the back office & front of the house ops by a few hundred at a time, and that'll pay for the CEO's bonus & incentives while looking good squeezing the passengers with their big, fat wallets - nice, huh. NOT. :confused:[/QUOTE]
Wait til the only situation happens that will drop the stock price and overall revenue. That new CEO needs to watch his step there, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

[quote name='punkincc']I don't know the answer to that one either. I am sure they are doing Breakfast and Lunch somewhere and then the Specialties at night. [/QUOTE]

But according to some that have called NCL and were told that specialty restaurants servers are NOT a part of the DSC.....then they're not getting anything for their breakfast and lunch shifts? Very confusing. Worst part of it all is at this point in time.......no one knows the correct answer!

Harriet

[quote name='punkincc']Now I would certainly like to see this clarified somewhere on the NCL website, but if this is the case, then the server indeed is being stiffed an 18% tip for those folks who got the free packages and there are lots of them. You know, 18% of zero is zero. And actually, the bartenders have some room to gripe as well as they are losing out on an auto tip for all those free drinks.[/quote]For the promotional UBP, NCL says that the 18% is included as part of the perk. I don't think they can just say that and then turn around and give nothing to the bar staff, and I do think we would have heard something from the bar staff if that were the case. For the UDP, I don't know, since the 18% is brand new. But when you go to a specialty restaurant with the UDP you still get a check that lists the cover charge, so they can calculate the 18% there (before crediting everything back to $0 for the package holder).

[quote name='mking8288']Hmmmm ... :eek: :rolleyes: - nothing "wrong" as stock price is up another 8 cents today at market close. Wall Street likes the massive firing ... ops, the political correct term is "upsizing" and buzzword is "streamlining" :mad: - one analyst's firm gave it an Outperform rating of $65 target price (currently, around $53 per share)

Heck with nickels & dimes - trim the back office & front of the house ops by a few hundred at a time, and that'll pay for the CEO's bonus & incentives while looking good squeezing the passengers with their big, fat wallets - nice, huh. NOT. :confused:[/QUOTE]

You got that right!!!
I work at a Fortune 100 company, been here since the late 90's. Same old same old every year... never enough $ for raises or bonuses for the worker bees but the sure find enough to pay 6 figure bonuses to the upper echelon...

So basically since I received the UDP as a free promo and having already paid for the DSC in advance back in Jan. I will see no additional charges on my upcoming 2016 cruise? , it only applies to new bookings and UDP purchases from now on ?......

Why did they not just raise the price for the specialty restaurants as well as the UDP ever so slightly and leave it at that, and chalk it up to inflation..

The way they are going about it is just dumb....

Edited by warriorking

But according to some that have called NCL and were told that specialty restaurants servers are NOT a part of the DSC.....then they're not getting anything for their breakfast and lunch shifts? Very confusing. Worst part of it all is at this point in time.......no one knows the correct answer!

Harriet

One person "called" NCL and was "told" this. What was reported happened to be exactly the story this person was pushing which I find unlikely. The Terms on the website have been updated to include the 18%, but still include servers in the DSC. As you know the specialties are only one part of their job as they also work in the buffets and other dining rooms for breakfast and lunch. Based on this information it is pretty clear IMHO that they are still part of the DSC.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

For the promotional UBP, NCL says that the 18% is included as part of the perk. I don't think they can just say that and then turn around and give nothing to the bar staff, and I do think we would have heard something from the bar staff if that were the case. For the UDP, I don't know, since the 18% is brand new. But when you go to a specialty restaurant with the UDP you still get a check that lists the cover charge, so they can calculate the 18% there (before crediting everything back to $0 for the package holder).

They would need to distinguish udp from promo, udp from purchase from today forward because the 18% is already paid and udp purchase before today. That's a lot of accounting. But FDR is a CPA so anything is possible. They will need more colors for stickers on the keycards and color code chart for the servers ringing up the transaction. . I would also object if those who chose ubp are not subjected to their 18% onboard if I am with the udp I received from the same promo. Since they are charging the 18% starting today, it's relatively safe to assume all udp will not incurred the 18% on board. But anything is possible.

Edited by SJ

So basically since I received the UDP as a free promo and having already paid for the DSC in advance back in Jan. I will see no additional charges on my upcoming 2016 cruise? , it only applies to new bookings and UDP purchases from now on ?......

Why did they not just raise the price for the specialty restaurants as well as the UDP ever so slightly and leave it at that, and chalk it up to inflation..

The way they are going about it is just dumb....

Correct, you will have no additional charges. You are also correct this is a terrible move done as a money grab and nothing else.

6&8

So, essentially, a surcharge for people who already pay more to sail in suites and now a surcharge for people who pay more to dine.

Logic fail. I just can't grasp this.

Remember, this is the principle of the matter, not a few extra bucks that some "can afford" (so sick of hearing that).

I am patiently awaiting the forthcoming "convenience fees"...

I agree it is the principle.

I'm going on my first NCL cruise this Christmas from Royal and Celebrity and I hope I don't feel nickel and dimed. I was going to buy the ultimate dining package but on that line, tips are included in the cost of the dining package, it includes all of the food that costs money--not just dinner, and there is no extra charge for extra entrees if you wanted to try more than 1 dish. Once I saw the fine print, I didn't feel it was very "ultimate."

I agree it is the principle.

I'm going on my first NCL cruise this Christmas from Royal and Celebrity and I hope I don't feel nickel and dimed. I was going to buy the ultimate dining package but on that line, tips are included in the cost of the dining package, it includes all of the food that costs money--not just dinner, and there is no extra charge for extra entrees if you wanted to try more than 1 dish. Once I saw the fine print, I didn't feel it was very "ultimate."

Wait...

We can only order one entree per specialty restaurant? Am I reading this property? That doesn't seem special.

wait! You've never been to a restaurant where you get a bill and on that bill there is:

$12.00 service charge

$18% gratuity for going there and eating their food

$18% gratuity on your drinks????

Me either!

Harriet

post of the week......

People should show them they've gone too far by boycotting the Specialty restaurants. That's the logical thing to do.

That's what we'll be doing. We rarely go to specialty restaurants, since the MDRs are decent.

As a platinum, I'm entitled to one complimentary specialty dinner for two, and I will take advantage of that. I called to check, and no gratuity will be charged for it. We'll tip cash that night.

Do you know whats the process if i want to reduce or remove my prepaid dsc onboard?

I am not sure as we do not pre-pay the gratuities, but it should be a similar process as removing them in general. You would go to Guest services and make the request there. I am guessing you will only get a refund in OBC as I dont know they have cash to give out. You could also call NCL and cancel your pre-pay if you wanted and simply pay them on board instead.

6&8