Do you like NCL food?

We were on our first NCL cruise (Breakaway) last May. I would say the food was very comparable to RCCL which means it was good. We had 2 teenagers and my wife and I had no complaints.

We had booked a couple of specialty restaurants and decided to cancel as we found the nightly dinners to be very good. I can't remember the equivalent name to the windjammer but it was good as well.

I noticed others commentating about the uptown Grill on the Breakaway/. I agree, they had very good burgers, hot dogs and Tacos. They also had these peach, apple and cherry pies.....most unhealthy but oh so good!

Edited by BobbyOrr

The one reason I no longer cruise NCl is the inedible food in the buffet and MDR. The specialty results are just average and not worth the upcharge.

Last cruise on RCCL was about a month ago. Breakfast in the Windjammer was good. Lunch in the WJ ranged from somewhat edible to awful. Dinner in the MDR was good, but nothing to rave about.

Disagree 100%..we thought ALL the specialty venues on the Getaway & Epic like Le Bistro, Cagney's, Teppanyaki's, & Moderno's were outstanding..and dining outside over looking the sea was something NOT to be found on RCI..$ 20-25 for a 5 course meal with a view of the sea? You can't eat at Denny's for that- and you certainly won't be seated at a window or table by the ocean...

I sailed NCL two years ago and my experience was that the buffet was very similar to RCI but the MDR on NCL had very limited selections and was not nearly as good as RCI. I was very disappointed in their meals and doubt I sail NCL again. I thought Carnival MDR was much better than NCL!

I've sailed with NCL only once...and that was on the Pride of America in Hawaii, so not sure if the food choices would be the same as their usual sailings elsewhere. I didn't particularly care for the food in the dining room and think that RC has much better food and choices. I don't really have any complaints about their breakfast buffet. What I disliked even more than the food in the dining room, was the freestyle dining...with no main or late dining choice available. I much prefer sitting at a large table with the same tablemates every night...and really getting to know them.

Food is such a subjective topic. Everyone likes different things.

That said, we've mainly sailed HAL and Celebrity, but we were on our first RCCL cruise last December, then we sailed our first NCL cruise last month. On both ships, there was always something good to eat, whether in the dining room or the buffet or the outdoor grill or Blue Lagoon (or Sprinkles!) or room service. We liked some food items better than others, and we tried a few things and didn't particularly care for them..... on both ships! But there was always something good to try and plenty of food to eat.

For what it's worth, I didn't like Johnny Rocket's on the Indy and loved their MDR lobster tail night, and my mother in law and I both loved the dessert crepes in the buffet each night on the Star. Someone on this topic mentioned the pretzel rolls on NCL, they were definitely outstanding (my husband ate quite a few).

Best wishes!