apples to apples?

Here are two identical itineraries, same time of year, one Oceania Regatta and one Regent Mariner:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-REG160412

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR160408/summary/default.aspx

Apples to apples, would it be fair to compare a 301 sq ft Category H on Mariner for $5999 with a 322 sq ft Category PH3 on Regatta for $6099?

Clearly you can get into the Regatta cruise for less in a much smaller cabin, so I don't think there's a fair comparison to be made there. But otherwise, PH3 and above, I'm not sure why anyone would choose the Regatta cruise.

How would you decide between these two? Have you ever had to decide similarly between identical itineraries, same time of year, on Oceania or Regent before? (There are several others like this.)

Thank you, Travelcat2. I've been lurking here for awhile now.

I'm not interested in either of those cruises; I was just proposing a little academic accounting theory. ("You know, under the right circumstances, a producer can actually make more money with a flop than he can with a hit!") It doesn't make sense to me that the comparable Oceania cabins cost more for less.

And I just saw where you posted about identical itineraries, same time of year, round trip Cape Town:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Africa-cruises/cape-town-to-cape-town-NAU161221

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR151124/summary/default.aspx

Same thing. The Regent cruise is a much better deal for a comparable cabin.

I suppose there's no pattern to be found here. There are probably relative bargains to be found in each line. It just takes a lot of searching to ferret them out.

Actually I found the reverse. In 2013 we were booked on a Western Caribbean itinerary on the Navigator, in a Navigator suite. Because of comments about food on Oceania we looked at the identical itinerary on the Riviera, in an Oceania suite (larger than the Navigator suite and a whole lot nicer IMO, having had both!) Taking the Oceania cruise, adding in the Beverage package and the two excursions we wanted saved us about $2500 EACH on the cruise. Since this was a no-brainer, we took the cruise with Oceania. And were absolutely delighted with the food/Service/ship etc. Not to mention the $5k in our pockets.

iamheisenberg, Actually the CPT/CPT is a better deal on Nautica than Mariner. I would have preferred Mariner but could not get the cabin level DW and I prefer, so signed up for Nautica. Since we do our own air, and excursions the cost matches favorably. We booked a PH3 so get favorable treatment on most variables.

Hamburgler, I was trying to find a rule of thumbs when the ships and itineraries were equal - apples to apples. I don't think the smallish Navigator can be compared to either of the large Oceania ships, like Riviera as apples to apples. But it is great that you found an alternative that you like at such a discount!

newlondon, I don't see where Nautica is a better deal, n that scenario, for a roughly 300 square foot cabin. Prices may have changed, but in the links above, the PH3 on Nautica is $10,099, and the H on Mariner is H is $9,999. On Nautica you would get a butler, but on Mariner, you would have include tours, gratuities and alcohol. So unless you absolutely have to have a butler, advantage Mariner, I think.

Hamburgler, I was trying to find a rule of thumb for when ship size and itineraries are equal - apples to apples. I don't think the smallish Navigator can be compared to either of the large Oceania ships, like Riviera, as apples to apples. But it is great that you found an alternative that you like at such a discount!

newlondon, I don't see where Nautica is a better deal, n that scenario, for a roughly 300 square foot cabin. Prices may have changed, but in the links above, the PH3 on Nautica is $10,099, and the H on Mariner is H is $9,999. On Nautica you would get a butler, but on Mariner, you would have include tours, gratuities and alcohol. So unless you absolutely have to have a butler, advantage Mariner, I think.

Respectfully iamheisenberg, 252 sqft v 322 sqft is imo a substantial difference. I have done several cruises on Regent and the most desirable excursions all cost substantially more than the "free" ones. TC2 listed an elephant trip at $549 extra. DW and I will be doing a dinner at Chateau Kirwan for $249pp extra. Sorry, I'll take the extra space any day and the butler. We have always gotten great service be it on Voyager or SS, and therefore are hooked.

Respectfully iamheisenberg, 252 sqft v 322 sqft is imo a substantial difference. I have done several cruises on Regent and the most desirable excursions all cost substantially more than the "free" ones. TC2 listed an elephant trip at $549 extra. DW and I will be doing a dinner at Chateau Kirwan for $249pp extra. Sorry, I'll take the extra space any day and the butler. We have always gotten great service be it on Voyager or SS, and therefore are hooked.

Bill,

The Oceania PH suite includes the balcony while the Regent figure does not. When you add the balcony to the Regent suite, the comparison is 301 sq ft vs 322 sq ft.

A couple of years ago there were some very negative comments about the Chateau Kirwan excursion from some reputable posters. You might want to do a search of the forum and check them out.

Hi Dave again, I researched the Chateau Kirwan dinner and, although different from what I expected, it got quite favorable reviews including Carolyn Brown editor-in-chief.

You are right one lady from Texas and her companions panned it; but the over all satisfaction level from the rest seemed good enough to stay with it.

I must admit I thought we were dining in the Chateau as we did on a Uniworld cruise in Burgundy.

... My point, however, is still the same. You pay extra for the best excursions on Regent.

That's true, but the "Regent Choice" tours are discounted, presumably by $100-$150 which is the general range of the included tours.

See paragraph two, here:

http://www.rssc.com/experience/free-shore-excursions/

So on a cruise with 9 days of touring, the value of the included and Regent Choice tours figures to be about $1000, if you use them, and $0 if you don't. Of course there are many who would prefer that the tours not be included at all, some of whom do not cruise Regent just for that reason. But in the comparison of the two Cape Town cruises, PH3 vs H, that should be irrelevant since Regent is less expensive anyway. Then, it's a matter of a butler and 20 square feet, versus included gratuities and alcohol. The choice is yours.

iamheisenberg, I just checked the invoices I received from my TA. An F gty on Mariner was $10k and a PH3 on Nautica was $9k. These were absolutely the same without 1 wine and beer package at $560 for the trip and about $1000 of shore excursions I have arranged privately, many of which would be premium on Mariner. I maintain slightly more space and a butler I am getting a better deal.

The web site price for a PH3 on the Nautica cruise is currently $10,099.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Africa-cruises/cape-town-to-cape-town-NAU161221/

The web site price for an H on Mariner is currently $9,999 ... except that it's on wait list. But apples to apples, that what I am comparing for my mythical rule of thumb. (The F is available at $10,899 and the G is available at $10,499, and maybe they can be compared to PH1 at $10,699 and PH2 at $10,299, respectively.)

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR151124/summary/default.aspx

I think it's great that you got a good deal! :) Maybe you booked early at a lower price, or maybe you got a deal from your travel agent and that's what you see on your invoice - whatever - it doesn't matter as long as you're happy.

But for my rule of thumb - which may have been pure folly for me to be seeking from the outset - based on these two cases anyway, Regent is a better deal in its lower categories, which is probably where I would purchase.

Edited by iamheisenberg
spelling

No problem. Btw the prices I quoted were with air credit but not hotel.

I normally book a PHB on Regent. This is our first O cruise.

Will you be posting from your Oceania cruise? It will be very interesting to read your thoughts and opinions of Oceania. Assume that you have an internet package!

Jacquie, You are so nice to assume I am tech literate, not. Will compare when we return and I can get back to my ancient desk top:)

I actually have no intention of buying a package, and actually in a PH3 I think we get some free, as the only need I will have will be for a Kindle.

Bill

Jacquie, You are so nice to assume I am tech literate, not. Will compare when we return and I can get back to my ancient desk top:)

I actually have no intention of buying a package, and actually in a PH3 I think we get some free, as the only need I will have will be for a Kindle.

Bill

You do great on CC:) Actually I do everything on my Kindle on cruises -- reading, taking photographs, playing games, etc. I am not that tech literate either (which is why I send photographs to "computerworks" and he posts them to CC). In any case, it will be good to read your comparison when you get home (if we don't run into each in Africa).