Cove Balcony vs. Aft-Extended Balcony

NightOne

Currently booked in a cove balcony on Carnival Dream but considering moving to an aft-extended and wanted to get some opinions.

First, we just got back from a cruise on a RCCL ship and had an aft corner. It was a 55 gallon drum of awesome-sauce. We had 2 loungers but never used them. We had 2 chairs and sat in them for about 2 minutes on 2 occasions. We had a little table and never used it. However, we did stand at the rail many many times for 10-15 minutes chunks of time. Therefore, the wrap part was really way to wide for our purposes. Privacy is of no concern to us.

Now the side balconies just seem so inferior.

It sounds like I have my mind made up but I do not. :)

The cove balcony being so close to the water seems very appealing. However, just "how" close are you/does it feel? The mid-ship location is probably very convenient too but doesn't The Dream have aft elevators that are really close to the aft cabins?

What other advantages are there in the cove over the aft that I may be overlooking?

Please discuss. :)

I'm kind of interested as well to hear what people have to say. I currently have a cove on the Dream booked for our cruise in Oct. What appealed to me most was how close to the water you are. If you do a google search, you can find all kinds of videos showing how close you are, and it seems amazing to me. In my opinion, better than looking down and seeing a deck below and the water far away. Plus, I like the idea of being out of the sun. I can get plenty of sun elsewhere on the ship. Now, after googling the aft extended and watching a video of that, it looks like the balcony may be a tad bigger, but because the sides are slanted, if you are standing at the railing, you can see into the balconies next to you. Of course, you said that wouldn't bother you. So I guess maybe the only other thing would be that some people say that the coves are loud because of the galley above them. The aft extended ones look like they just have other rooms above them. So maybe quieter? Anyway, would love to hear from people who have stayed in both!

Edited by bakersdozen12

While the aft-views are amazing and almost absolutely perfect in every single way, the cove balconies are amazing as well. If you don't use the extra space, it's a much better deal and also, they offer an amazing view at the wildlife and other things in the sea as well. There's also something special about being buried into the ship's hull, very peaceful an serene. I think it's alot about personal preference and whether or not you will get the full benefits of either stateroom.

I have had an aft on the valor and a cove on the magic. Given the opportunity I would pick the cove every time!! You are very close to the water, can see flying fish and other sea animals at times. We liked our aft a lot but my husband didn't like not being able to see where we were headed. This didn't bother me, We didn't really feel like the extra balcony room was that big of deal on the aft.

We've done both on Carnival…sort of. We had an aft corner wrap around on Conquest and a Cove on Magic. Honestly, we love the Coves because of the proximity to the water. The flying fish do seem way bigger and sailing in and out of Galveston, there are always lots of dolphins jumping and you can get an up close view of them.

We liked the aft balcony but the side part was better than the very back facing part. I love watching the wake of the ship, but the very aft facing part got very hot with direct sun and no wind.

It's totally your choice, but maybe try the Cove and then make up your mind for future cruises.

We've had a cove and a lido balcony. I would take a cove anyday over a regular balcony. Can't speak for aft, but I sure do like the view from the aft public areas. The cove is so close to water, and it just feels more private than a regular balcony.

I'm on the Dream in August. I will be in a Cove for the third time. I like being close to the water. Because they are cut out of the side of the ship, I think there is a little more protection. I'm bringing my grandson this year and I like that it's more closed in.

Whatever you decide, it will be great! You'll be on a ship! Have great time!

We have only had the "bowling alley balcony" , standard balcony or cove and we love cove! We were on the Breeze and it was great to listen to the sound of the ocean as we were sailing at night and to watch the flying fish jump out of the water during the day. The cove balcony was a great experience and I hope we can do it again!

I just booked the breeze and booked an extended balcony aft. I do not like closed in balconies and do not like their railings. I also have this mental image of a rogue wave hitting my low to the sea balcony, lolol.

I have never done either, so take what I just said with a grain of salt. I do know that that picture up above of the cove balcony cabin would make me feel claustrophobic. I want to be able to see up at night and see the stars above me. Not some steel enclosure.

Lisichka: yes, but when you are on a cruise, do you really want to be staring at the sky or the water (and the wildlife)? The way I see it, the sky looks the same from home. But I don't have the open, tropical ocean when I'm at home.

Anyway, I'm loving this thread and all of the comments. It's make me be even more sure that I picked the right cabin for our first cruise (a cove). :-)

And Naomi: that photo is amazing! Where exactly were you when you saw them? We are cruising to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I'm wondering if we'll see anything like that. I would love it!

Edited by bakersdozen12

Bakersdozen: when I cruise, I do not like the feeling of being enclosed like in a cove cabin. I want to be out in the open. I want to see the sky AND the ocean.

Sounds like both of us are 100% sure we made the right choice for us. :)

PS: I have seen dolphins on every one of my cruises. I am sure you will see them. Bring a great camera!

Edited by Lisichka

we had an aft on glory and it was amazing! Can't beat the view and I love laying out in the heat, wasn't too hot back there. I also loved that we were so close to the lido deck, we were on 7, up two flights of stairs. Never take the elevators, I've lost 120lbs in the last year and enjoy being able to climb stairs without dying anymore :p

we had an aft on glory and it was amazing! Can't beat the view and I love laying out in the heat, wasn't too hot back there. I also loved that we were so close to the lido deck, we were on 7, up two flights of stairs. Never take the elevators, I've lost 120lbs in the last year and enjoy being able to climb stairs without dying anymore :p

Congratulations!! :)

There is also the question of what you know vs. what you don't know.

The aft is know to me, the cove is not.

At the present, I am leaning 90% towards staying in the cove. How will I ever know if I like it better or worse than the aft if I do not try it? (at least that is one line of thinking) :)

I have always wanted to try a cove, but when it comes down to it, for our Breeze cruise I booked the Aft Extended View cabin. I just keep getting drawn to it. Thew view pulls me in. I just love it, it's mesmerizing. Plus the location is great for us too. I love that when we book deck 7, lido is just a few decks away, deck 5 is just a few decks away. No need for elevators really.

We have always had good luck on deck 7, sandwiched between rooms, it's quiet and all the way in the aft is a great location too because people don't wander down there unless they have a room down there so there's not a lot of traffic and noise down there.

I really think they both have their benefits but you just have to decide, do you want the wake view or the close to the water view?

I'm currently booked in Cabin 2302. I frequently hear about 2264 and 2288 (no neighbor across the hall on that one --- electric panel instead).

Any compelling reason to switch to either of those 2 cabins? or stay where I am at?

As I understand it, these are all NOT under the galley. :)

NightOne,

My wife and I stayed in cabin 2264 in January. It was our first time in a cabin and we enjoyed it very much.

I don't recall if there was a cabin across the hall or not, but definately no noises from above us.

We liked being close to the water and also near the forward elevators and just one deck below the dining room.