Dining with kids question...

Fidgell

Ok, strange question here. Our 4yr old son has special needs and whenever we dine out he needs something to occupy him like an ipad or leapfrog etc to keep him enjoying his dining experience - and not hindering others!!

Question is, if quietly used, are electronic devices permitted in dining rooms for this purpose? We recently stayed at a Beaches resort and using these items worked very well and allowed the rest if our, and everyone elses, family to enjoy their meals :)

We'd request a single family table if necessary but would rather be social if allowed.

Thanks

I'm sure that will be fine. You'll find the MDR are not quiet, refined spaces. Just due to the number of people, there is always a noise level and due to the number of children in general, a child playing quietly on an electronic will go unremarked upon.

No problem with an entertainment device for your child. Just notify DCL now (TA will have to call if you used one) to request a "just us" table and mention the special needs at that time. While they will still tell you that it can't be guaranteed, the special needs situation WILL assure that you'll get that table alone.

No problem using one. We have used it with our 4 y/o as well in the dinning rooms. No one bats an eye since they are also with their own little ones trying to keep them entertained. Good for you to not isolate yourselves and be social. We were so stressed our first Disney cruise with our then 2y/o two years ago, thinking that if we sat with someone they were going to be uncomfortable with an antsy toddler. It turned out they also had an antsy toddler and were worried just like us. We had an awesome time dinning together. Unfortunately last year the family assigned to our table, who also had a little one, never made it to the table:confused:. Disney is quite good at matching families with little ones in the dinning rooms. We hope we get another cool family come next friday:D

I was wondering if anyone could help answer two dining questions for...we usually sail NCL so having tablemates is new to me, we are a family of 7 and not sure what to expect. Would a party this size have tablemates? Secondly, my 4 year old DD has a severe peanut allergy and she recently experienced an anaphylactic shock which honestly has left us really anxious and nervous about our upcoming trip. I've already let disney know about her allergy and I don't doubt that they will make the necessary meal accomdations for us but, I was just wondering if anyone could share their personal experience or tips on how to ensure she is safe in case I've missed something. :confused:

Thank you in advance for any assistance, I really appreciate it!:)

I was wondering if anyone could help answer two dining questions for...we usually sail NCL so having tablemates is new to me, we are a family of 7 and not sure what to expect. Would a party this size have tablemates? Secondly, my 4 year old DD has a severe peanut allergy and she recently experienced an anaphylactic shock which honestly has left us really anxious and nervous about our upcoming trip. I've already let disney know about her allergy and I don't doubt that they will make the necessary meal accomdations for us but, I was just wondering if anyone could share their personal experience or tips on how to ensure she is safe in case I've missed something. :confused:

Thank you in advance for any assistance, I really appreciate it!:)

As a party of 7 (particularly with allergy issues) I'm going to say you'll probably have your own table - no tablemates. The largest tables typically are 8 tops, but there a few larger (12-14 people) tables in some of the MDRs. But they don't usually put separate parties together at that one.

We don't have any allergies to deal with, but you've taken the first (most important) step by noting it on your reservation. You'll meet with your head server the first night to formulate a plan for mealtime during your cruise.

Typically, you'll get the next night's menu at the end of dinner to pre-order so that they can ensure that things are done correctly.

A family of 7 would most often be seated as "just us." The "standard" table sizes are 4, 6, and 8, and they are not going to seat a solo cruiser with a family that includes kids. With no request, you'd be most likely to get a table for 8 with 7 places seated. Factor in the allergy, and you'll be "just us." You can even call and request "just us" and let your server know that you'd like the entire table to be "peanut free" if that is your choice.

DCL is better with allergies than any other place/situation I know, and frankly, peanut allergies are fairly common-as in they deal with this on virtually every cruise. They will never guarantee total safety, but that said, will do a super job. Your son's meals will be prepared separately to avoid any cross contamination. A chef and/or head server will meet with you on day 1 to explain to you how everything will be handled and to confirm that the only issue is tree nuts. You are in a far more controlled atmosphere in the "sit down" dining rooms, but if you insist on eating at the buffets, a head server or chef will walk you thru the line assisting in choosing his foods. Then they will go to the back and bring you a serving of whatever was selected from a fresh, unopened serving container with a clean spoon--again, avoiding risk of cross contamination. Room service MAY deny him service or provide only packaged items (cereal and milk, for instance) because they are not set up for allergy safety. My friend's son is so allergic that she must purchase chocolate chips from one company that does not have peanut products anywhere in their factory--she mail orders these. DCL made special cookies for her son with these special chocolate chips.

The place you want to avoid is the quick serve stuff on the pool deck--sorry, but there you are on your own. You can quiz the people about what sort of oil is used, etc. but the risk of contamination is greatest here.

Ever wonder why when you enter the dining room, they ask for your room number? It is because your room will have an "allergy notice" in the computer. They punch in the room number and the notice flashes at the man at the podium. He can then inquire as to who the person with the allergy is and whether that person is with you at that time and you will be handled appropriately. Yes, the server is supposed to ask each table of guests who are not his "regulars," but the computer system is just another safety in case the server forgets to ask and you forget to volunteer the information. I honestly think you'll be very pleased with the safety of the system. I know my friend was with her son's situation AND an adult friend with an allergy issue cruises DCL regularly. And you were right to tell them in advance--that way the CMs can be ready for you.

Thank you so much moki'smommy for all your insight. We've sailed with NCL twice after discovering my daughter's allergy and they did a fabulous job at being vigilant and accommodating. I just needed some reassurance about DCL especially since this will be our first with them and after the scare we recently experienced while she was at a supposed "peanut free" school. We plan on having all of our meals at the dining room (at least she and I) to avoid any issue.

You mentioned that your friend was able to find peanut free chocolate chips that they were able to provide the cruise with for cookies, I never considered that so thank you. I was afraid we might lose out on that extra treat. Would you be able to provide me with the brand so I

could research them and possibly do the same?

Thank you again you've been a tremendous help!

I'll attempt to contact Alison and find out the brand that she uses. I do know that she mail orders them. Also, she is on a couple of allergy support groups on line, so gets lots of ideas there for "safe" places. OK, she is the super careful mom (she has to be!). She doesn't let an on line recommendation replace her own "checking it out," but it can often give a place to start.

I have some severe food allergies. sailed with DCL twice. The MDR and specialty restaurants were great. Buffet, not so much. Too much chaos and potential for cross contamination. Stick to the MDR's and you will be fine.

Please dont hijack my thread anymore, its easy enough to start your own.

I asked about electronic devices for a special needs child, please be respectful and stay on topic here.

Thank you

It seems like you got your answer. Conversations tend to ebb and flow, so other people may ask questions (still on the topic of the dining room) that do "hijack" threads. But it's not done with bad intent.

Like I said, it's not hard to start a "Allergy" thread, and by doing so is immensely more helpful to others seeking Allergy info as they can see it directly from a single thread instead of it being hidden in a hijacked one!

Cheers

Like I said, it's not hard to start a "Allergy" thread, and by doing so is immensely more helpful to others seeking Allergy info as they can see it directly from a single thread instead of it being hidden in a hijacked one!

Cheers

It is true that threads here tend to get off the original topic. It is also easier to reply to an existing thread than to find the tab to start a new one.

BUT if your rationale for asking people to not hijack your thread is to make searching for info easier, I'd suggest a more descriptive title to your original thread--something like "special needs kids in the MDR" or "electronic devices in MDR for special needs." The title of kids in dining rooms is pretty generic and doesn't tell anyone what you are really wanting to discuss in "your" thread.

Its ok its a bit unfriendly around here ill leave you to it. There are other forums Ive found today and they have a bit more of a nicer atmosphere.

Please delete my account, ill bid you good day

Please dont hijack my thread anymore, its easy enough to start your own.

I asked about electronic devices for a special needs child, please be respectful and stay on topic here.

Thank you

Hmmm...I didn't think it was at all unfriendly until this post appeared. I hope you find a board where they stay on topic all the time, or at least don't call you out when you are involved in the "unfriendliness."

I apologize for supposedly "hijacking" a thread/conversation, that was never my intent. Honestly speaking I am new to this whole posting idea and have avoided asking questions/posting in the past for this very same reason. I tend to read post and hardly ever write them up however, the thread was titled dining with kids question...and I thought that meant it was an open public forum for people to ask and answer questions about dining with kids...SILLY ME. I never meant to "hijack" anyone's thread or illicit negativity.

Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to respond to my questions.

I apologize for supposedly "hijacking" a thread/conversation, that was never my intent. Honestly speaking I am new to this whole posting idea and have avoided asking questions/posting in the past for this very same reason. I tend to read post and hardly ever write them up however, the thread was titled dining with kids question...and I thought that meant it was an open public forum for people to ask and answer questions about dining with kids...SILLY ME. I never meant to "hijack" anyone's thread or illicit negativity.

Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to respond to my questions.

YOU didn't do anything wrong. No need for you to apologize. PLEASE feel free to ask whatever questions you have.

OP just didn't like being called out on her stuff. Your questions fit the topic every bit as well as hers did!

Its ok its a bit unfriendly around here ill leave you to it. There are other forums Ive found today and they have a bit more of a nicer atmosphere.

Please delete my account, ill bid you good day

Good bye!

To the OP--to answer your question, there will be no problem with a small electronic toy at the table as long as your child uses earplugs. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, it would be extremely rude to use the toy with the volume on. The dining rooms are loud enough without adding electronic clatter.

To the OP--to answer your question, there will be no problem with a small electronic toy at the table as long as your child uses earplugs. If they are unable or unwilling to do so, it would be extremely rude to use the toy with the volume on. The dining rooms are loud enough without adding electronic clatter.

Good point, no volume! Play the game fine, having the volume on is an absolute NO .....