Carnival to build New Ship Rumor

highcruiser

I think we'll likely see 4-5 Vista class ships being built by Carnival. The Vista will come in in 2016, the 2nd one in 2018, then the others likely in 2019, 2011 & 2012. By 2018 I think Carnival will slowly phase out the Fantasy-class ships.

I think we'll likely see 4-5 Vista class ships being built by Carnival. The Vista will come in in 2016, the 2nd one in 2018, then the others likely in 2019, 2011 & 2012. By 2018 I think Carnival will slowly phase out the Fantasy-class ships.

I think you'll see Sunshine being quietly pushed out within the next 5 years too. It's already been relegated to mop up duty on the east coast. Not what you would expect of a "premium" ship.

I think you'll see Sunshine being quietly pushed out within the next 5 years too. It's already been relegated to mop up duty on the east coast. Not what you would expect of a "premium" ship.

Highly unlikely Richard, since they just put over 100 million dollars into her the Sunshine will be around for at least another decade, probably a lot longer.

Edited by cjknox

Highly unlikely Richard, since they just put over 100 million dollars into her the Sunshine will be around for at least another decade, probably a lot longer.

Cameron, (or do you prefer Jefferson), I have no clue who this Richard is that you speak of, but Sunshine's hull will be 20 years old next year. It's no secret that the Sunshine experiment didn't pan out to Carnival's high hopes. That's why you haven't seen any other ships undergoing such a radical transformation. No matter how much money they sank into that project, it's not what they were hoping for, and I believe that at the 25 year old mark, you will see the ship being rotated out of the fleet, just like all the rest. It's been the poster child for lipstick on a pig, since the day it floated out as the Sunshine.

Hopefully they will keep the "cookie cutter" in the drawer before they design the ships. I think they should find what works and doesn't on the Vista before designing.

I sure hope they don't give us the ships like RCL. If I want to to go to the mall or live in an apartment complex, I can do so on land.

No way in the world Sunshine gets retired in the next 5 years. WAY too much was spent on that project to dump it so fast. The entire Fantasy class will be gone before Sunshine goes anywhere, and we are still quite a long way away from the whole Fantasy Class being gone, seeing as how not a single one of them have been retired yet and there are a LOT of Fantasy Class ships.

Edited by jwalk03

No way in the world Sunshine gets retired in the next 5 years. WAY too much was spent on that project to dump it so fast. The entire Fantasy class will be gone before Sunshine goes anywhere, and we are still quite a long way away from the whole Fantasy Class being gone, seeing as how not a single one of them have been retired yet and there are a LOT of Fantasy Class ships.

And this is why Carnival is falling behind the competition, with one of the most aged fleets in the industry. Carnival is no longer the industry leader, or the innovator. They've let themselves get complacent, and were passed up by darn near everybody. It looks to me like CCL is no longer the priority of the Corporation.

Regardless of how much was spent to refurbish the public areas of Sunshine, she is 20 years old, and the Fantasy class is 18-26 years old. Each time these ships are drydocked now, the cost for more in depth surveys of hull and machinery will increase the cost, and the required repairs found by these inspections will increase the cost. Steel renewal on ships this age becomes major and common. Ships of this age have turned the corner on the parabolic curve of maintenance cost, and are beyond the point where the mainstream cruise lines can make a profit on them, so they are sold to other lines with different demographics and different profit margins.

And this is why Carnival is falling behind the competition, with one of the most aged fleets in the industry. Carnival is no longer the industry leader, or the innovator. They've let themselves get complacent, and were passed up by darn near everybody. It looks to me like CCL is no longer the priority of the Corporation.

Wow, all that from one ship that they overhauled (which by the way, other cruiselines have done similar retrofits as well). There was a business reason for the what happened to the Sunshine. Now, with the current 9 ship announcement, they are back to building new ships on a schedule where they should be.

Wow, all that from one ship that they overhauled (which by the way, other cruiselines have done similar retrofits as well). There was a business reason for the what happened to the Sunshine. Now, with the current 9 ship announcement, they are back to building new ships on a schedule where they should be.

I meant the 9 ships for the corp, not CCL.

Carnival should send 4 Fantasy ships to various parts of Asia to test the waters there. Which ever areas bite, then they know which areas to focus on and should send the rest there. It'd be a perfect fit once these replacements are built.