Threat raised to "critical " for Nassau !!

FIRELT5

The advice in the article is good for any foreign travel. However, we were in Nassau last April and remarked on how much cleaner the port was. We felt completely safe but maybe that was because we were right at the port and not in a remote area. We shared a van with 6 other passengers and went to Atlantis. We had no negative incidents.

I had enrolled into the STEP program and frequently look at the gov site for updates prior to my travels. I was concerned before our trip in May , but never had any issues.

I was there again in August. My son (21) and myself walked all over and never felt unsafe. Police presence around the dock and a few blocks in. At that time there were numerous incidents of armed robbery as well.Most of these incidents happen at night. There have always been warnings particularly at night. Daytime is fine and you just have to be vigilant, just as you would do in any large city here in the US. And don't venture into areas away from the main drag.

My wife and I were there last month aboard the GA, and really enjoyed walking around downtown. We don't enjoy Nassau, been there too many times, but we're not afraid of being there either. We're more afraid of getting shot going to downtown South Bend, Indiana at night, like another poor sucker did last evening. May he rest in peace.:eek:

Last week, I was there all day shopping alone (female), walked down side streets and ate in some local 'restaurant' (aka window cutout) down an alley way and NEVER felt even remotely unsafe.

The 2 incidents the security post mentioned happened at late night/early morning. Interestingly enough, I was considering going to the Fish Fry area mentioned in that security post but found the conch at the Pier area sufficient. Still, I wouldnt hesitate going to Fish Fry as long as it was a day time foray.

Edited by goldesq

I don't think this is new. I was on Getaway one month ago and they had the security alert on the front page of the Daily. Tourist robberies are common but it gets worse if you stray from the main tourist areas. The alert really applies for those going alone in taxis to discover Nassau on their own.

Edited by david_sobe

The place is a dump anyways, we don't even get off the ship anymore.

don't see how you could call it a bump ? It's an island yes it's not the US or Europe, and I have seen worse places, I find Down Town Nassau just fine. I would not go out to remote areas or walk around by myself at night, but then again I would not even do that here at home anymore. We never had any issues in Nassau

Let's all keep in mind this is a NEW updated warning (3/25/15) from the US Embassy - Nassau so don't take it too lightly!

LuLu

Yes, and let's read it for what it really said. The incidents mentioned happened late at night in areas well away from where cruisers go. The main part of Nassau where tourists go, and Paradise Island are as safe as any major US city.

Heavens, the State Department would issue warning for 2/3 of the cities in the lower 48 if they could.

On our recent cruise we noted a very heavy police presence in and around the port area. Felt very safe but also took recommended precautions such as not wearing flashy, expensive jewelry and kept my purse very close. Walked around, did some shopping, had lunch at Senor Frog's and back to the ship.

Tracy

I actively avoid Nassau calling cruises anyway because having been there on the Breakaway I found it trashy and quite boring. We did a lap of the town, bought some wooden ornaments, used an internet cafe and then headed over to Atlantis and even that wasn't that great. I had free Atlantis passes from a friend whose brother works there and just as well because if I'd paid full price I'd have been feeling hard done by. No reason to ever go back there.

It's a shame because I like the Breakaway as a ship but having done the Carribean and Bermuda on it, it doesn't go anywhere else every time I've looked.

On our recent cruise we noted a very heavy police presence in and around the port area. Felt very safe but also took recommended precautions such as not wearing flashy, expensive jewelry and kept my purse very close. Walked around, did some shopping, had lunch at Senor Frog's and back to the ship.

Tracy

We do the same. There is always a heavy police presence right by the port. I can't stand Nassau. Think it's a complete dump. We usually just go to Senor Frogs ... which, by the way, has stolen my credit card info every year for the last 4 years :rolleyes:

Edited by SissasMomE

We do the same. There is always a heavy police presence right by the port. I can't stand Nassau. Think it's a complete dump. We usually just go to Senor Frogs ... which, by the way, has stolen my credit card info every year for the last 4 years :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll bite. Why do you keep going there? :D