Ordering drinks from previous menu

jcallcut

I have been following the UBP threads in relation to the change in drink menues. It sounded like at least initially bartenders were happy to serve drinks from the old menus. Now that the new menu has been in place for almost a month I was wondering if the bartenders would still make drinks from the old menus. I hope so. I have been making a list of the drinks on gambees site to try since I bought the UBP.

Thanks, Jim

I have been following the UBP threads in relation to the change in drink menues. It sounded like at least initially bartenders were happy to serve drinks from the old menus. Now that the new menu has been in place for almost a month I was wondering if the bartenders would still make drinks from the old menus. I hope so. I have been making a list of the drinks on gambees site to try since I bought the UBP.

Thanks, Jim

Do you order drinks off a menu? I don't and never have. Ask for what you want and if they have the ingredients they will make it. The menus are all to do about nothing.

Yes, I do order off of the menu because I am not familiar with the drinks. Thank you for your thoughts.

I need a list too. I like the opportunity to try new drinks but can't remember the names of anything I've only heard about.

Do you order drinks off a menu? I don't and never have. Ask for what you want and if they have the ingredients they will make it. The menus are all to do about nothing.

Especially on vacation, I think a lot of people like to pick up a menu full of pictures of pretty, colorful drinks with interesting names and pick something that they've never seen or heard of before and probably wouldn't have tried otherwise.

Why the cruise lines think that putting out small, limited, bland drink menus is a good idea - except for maybe deterring those with drink packages from ordering as much - I don't know. It's bound to hurt sales from all the people who just want to be spontaneous and fun and who would often be tempted with an "impulse buy" if presented with a good drinks menu.

I'm not trying to be rude, but. I've never been in a bar anywhere in the world that had menu's, other than the ones "pushing" certain high value drinks, i.e. Applebee's listing things like Bahama Mama's etc. Any bartender in the world can make most any drink you can name and usually have a bartenders guide handy. If you can't come up with anything, tell them what sounds good, i.e. something sweet with pineapple juice, a sour drink with vodka, etc. They will fix you up. The bar list on NCL in years past has never been comprehensive, just some choices of tropical drinks. As an old bartender, I can tell you that 90% of customers drink the same old, same old, that is, rum and coke, Bud, Martini, etc. If you run out of ideas, take a look around and tell the bartender to "make me one of those" if you see something interesting.

When I look in a bartenders guide there are literally thousands of possible drinks, they will never appear on a menu. Ask and ye shall receive. Enjoy!!

If you like, take a look at an online bartenders guide and make a list of drinks you might like.

Start with this website, it's free:

http://www.boozemixer.com/

Edited by rvsullivan

I'm not trying to be rude, but. I've never been in a bar anywhere in the world that had menu's, other than the ones "pushing" certain high value drinks, i.e. Applebee's listing things like Bahama Mama's etc. Any bartender in the world can make most any drink you can name and usually have a bartenders guide handy. If you can't come up with anything, tell them what sounds good, i.e. something sweet with pineapple juice, a sour drink with vodka, etc. They will fix you up. The bar list on NCL in years past has never been comprehensive, just some choices of tropical drinks. As an old bartender, I can tell you that 90% of customers drink the same old, same old, that is, rum and coke, Bud, Martini, etc. If you run out of ideas, take a look around and tell the bartender to "make me one of those" if you see something interesting.

When I look in a bartenders guide there are literally thousands of possible drinks, they will never appear on a menu. Ask and ye shall receive. Enjoy!!

If you like, take a look at an online bartenders guide and make a list of drinks you might like.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that the cruise ships tend to have unique drinks that you may not see elsewhere, and he/she is referring to the old drink menus with the more unique drinks...the more exotic mixed drinks besides the usual piña colada, daiquiri, bahama mama, etc. I think that's why the title of the thread is asking if you could order a drink from an old NCL drink menu, you know, if they still make those drinks that were once unique to NCL drink menus.

I am just of the Epic this week. You can order whatever drink you want. The bartenders have a black 3x5 index card box with drink recipes and if you meet a nice bartender like Nestor in O'Sheaons he will use his phone to look up the recipe if he doesn't know it.

First is some of the drinks on the old menu were made up by NCL. But they were actually derivitives of a drink that really exists with there own spin.

Second You can down load a app on your phone I have it, and it will show you a picture of the drink and what is in it. Then you dont have to write it down :rolleyes: from some old list. I dont see a need for the old menu who really cares bartenders will make you anything as long as they know how or they can look it up or you can tell them. I dont understand why folks think they will stick to only the drinks listed in any menu unless there was no way of charging you properly which I find hard to believe.

Do they still something called bushwucker it's a brown coloured cocktail with cream coloured strips In it. I have no idea of the ingredients but I really enjoy it.

It is a Bushwacker (Kinda like a chocolate pina colada). They should be able to make it with no issue. Here is a recipe (As with all drinks there are variations):

Bushwacker

Ingredients

1 ounce Dark Crème de Cacao

1 ounce Kahlúa

Baileys Irish Cream

Amaretto

2 ounces Cream of Coconut

Bacardi Rum

8 ounces Ice

2 ounces Milk

Vodka

1 ounce Dark Rum

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

It is a Bushwacker (Kinda like a chocolate pina colada). They should be able to make it with no issue. Here is a recipe (As with all drinks there are variations):

Bushwacker

Ingredients

1 ounce Dark Crème de Cacao

1 ounce Kahlúa

Baileys Irish Cream

Amaretto

2 ounces Cream of Coconut

Bacardi Rum

8 ounces Ice

2 ounces Milk

Vodka

1 ounce Dark Rum

6&8

Just remember a drink like the Bushwacker has six different types/shots of alcohol in them. They may not come in under the $11 limit. Then again, they might. As I said, take one of the bartender links on your cell phone/ipad and show them what you want. Almost all of the "old" NCL drinks are all just variations/same as, other standard drinks.

I am just of the Epic this week. You can order whatever drink you want. The bartenders have a black 3x5 index card box with drink recipes and if you meet a nice bartender like Nestor in O'Sheaons he will use his phone to look up the recipe if he doesn't know it.

Just off the Spirit and the above is true.. the old drinks are even still in the tills with new pricing. One of the bartenders said the new menu is only temporary and they should have some new ones soon.

Dan

Woohoo!! Thank you everyone. I will try downloading the bartenders guide. Should present some ideas. I have in the past asked bartenders to surprise me with something melony (may not be a word) or fruity and have had some wonderful drinks. Trouble is I usually have trouble getting another one especially if the bartender is no longer there because it was something the bartender just pulled together for me.

Thanks again,

Jim

Edited by jcallcut

The only problem with using the free drink apps/websites that you suggested is that you need an internet connection so you're pretty much SOL unless you pony up for the pricey internet package. That's why a hard copy printed list or similar on your phone works better.

I also tend to agree with several of the other posters in that I can't remember all the specialty and enticing NCL drinks that I'd like to try, nor their ingredients so I feel NCL is rather shooting themselves in the foot by removing all those colorful drink menus.

This is silly. Most bars I have been to have a drink menu. It is the best marketing tool to upsell to more expensive drinks. Without it, people defer to what they know which is typically a beer or wine or a simple mixed cocktail. Fancy drink menus make the patron buy something that costs more. Simple marketing 101. There is most probably a reason behind this that coincides with the free UBP. They want you up order the simple, cheap stuff. There's no other explanation. With such a high % of people on UBP, the population they'd reach to upsell the fancy drinks isn't big enough to balance out what they'd lose on UBP people ordering the expensive stuff. It also leads me to believe that free UBP is here to stay.

I am curious too if they'll still make the previous drinks. We liked quite a few of them from the old menus.

Edited by conandrob240

Absolutely need a menu im not a big drinker and don't drink beer, wine or vodka, but i do like a fruity girly drink or two. I really like to see what's in them first. I know last year when i didnt have UBP they had a bunch of different drinks I wanted to try but couldn't. I'm totally bummed they have a limited list to look at now. On another thread, many drinks and recipes were listed out, so I will probably print that and take it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Must be a regional thing, or a city thing. I'm in Boston, and almost every restaurant has their own cocktail menu. I'm a "seasoned"'drinker, and I like trying new things other than the standards. I like to look at a list of new and interesting drinks to try.

I think its a real PITA that NCL has taken the lists away. Passengers shouldn't have to have lists and apps on their phones to look up cocktails. I'm glad to hear this is temporary, and hope the menus will be back when we cruise in June.

Just remember a drink like the Bushwacker has six different types/shots of alcohol in them. They may not come in under the $11 limit. Then again, they might. As I said, take one of the bartender links on your cell phone/ipad and show them what you want. Almost all of the "old" NCL drinks are all just variations/same as, other standard drinks.

Bushwacker was available and was under the $11 limit. No problem