Port Vila is on the road to recovery - will you come back?

In the aftermath of Cyclone Pam I have watched Port Vila transform itself into a cleaner, brighter version of its old self.

Two weeks down the track and the power is back on in most areas, town water supplies are clean and drinkable and for many it is business as usual as most businesses in the main street were open within days of the cyclone passing.

In the last few days I have spoken to many people. The Chief of Mele tells me that Cascades looks wonderful, better than ever. The dive shop down the road has taken video footage of the reefs and dive sites and declared they are looking great. The largest indigenous tour company in Vanuatu is ready to resume tours. Many resorts are advertising that the are open and ready to take bookings.

Port Vila is ready for the visitors to come back!

So when are you planning to visit?

Hopefully we will be there next Saturday, if the Radiance docks.

They are saying no change to our itinerary, so we may be one of the first ships back:) If so,plan on spending our day eating, drinking and shopping at the local businesses.

Chez

Lovely to see the positive responses :)

I was surprised to read Iririki would not reopen til November, that is a shame.

I was told today that the tour operators are ready to run their regular tours for the Radiance when she docks on the 4th. We would love to see the streets filled with visitors again!

If P&O will let us off the ship in Vila in May (on the 14 May 2015 we should be there), then we will be spending money at the shops etc..

if not we could be back there again in the future :).

I was told today by one of the largest tour operators that he was contacted by cruise officials and asked if he was ready to do the tours for Radiance who are docking on the 4th, he also told me as far as he knew the Dawn was also docking on the 8th.

It's all looking very positive!

I was told today by one of the largest tour operators that he was contacted by cruise officials and asked if he was ready to do the tours for Radiance who are docking on the 4th, he also told me as far as he knew the Dawn was also docking on the 8th.

It's all looking very positive!

Glad to see everything is getting back to normal in Vila and are ready to service the cruise ships. Love every time we have been to Vila and will certainly cruise there again in the future.

Diane

Glad to see everything is getting back to normal in Vila and are ready to service the cruise ships. Love every time we have been to Vila and will certainly cruise there again in the future.

Diane

Yes the recovery was so much faster than we expected. Huge thanks go to the military forces that flew straight over, the hundreds of aid volunteers and all the generous people around the world who wanted to help :)

Have a visit to you all planned for next year :)

The other end of the world to me - and so looking forward to it :D

So very pleased that things are getting back to normal for you after such a difficult time

My very best wishes to all in Vanuatu :)

Hello Bellamaryia,

How was the coffee crop on Tana affected?

Is the Tana coffeee outlet at Vila still operating?

We are due to visit late October 2015. About 200 days to go.:D

Thanks

I have been waiting to hear something about the coffee crop on Tanna but no news as yet.

On the other hand we live next door to the Tanna Coffee outlet here in Vila and yes, they are open for business :)

Hopefully we will be there next Saturday, if the Radiance docks.

They are saying no change to our itinerary, so we may be one of the first ships back:) If so,plan on spending our day eating, drinking and shopping at the local businesses.

Chez

Front page of today's paper confirms Radiance passengers will be disembarking on the 4th! Woohoo! See you all here :)

The Carnival Spirit is by passing Vila on the trip next week and going to Santo instead. I'm now looking at doing another trip that includes Vila either later this year or sometime in 2016. Vanuatu needs all the help it can get and the best way we can assist is by booking cruises that stop there.

Nevermind, I found the article on the Vanuatu Daily Post website. ;) Very exciting! I can't wait to get over there and do what I can to support those beautiful people. Thanks for posting and letting us know.

Here is the link if anyone else is interested in reading the article: http://www.dailypost.vu/news/article_a918e3be-ddb7-51da-81c4-fb6c2563d634.html

Nevermind, I found the article on the Vanuatu Daily Post website. ;) Very exciting! I can't wait to get over there and do what I can to support those beautiful people. Thanks for posting and letting us know.

Here is the link if anyone else is interested in reading the article: http://www.dailypost.vu/news/article_a918e3be-ddb7-51da-81c4-fb6c2563d634.html

Thanks for posting the link, good news should definitely be shared :)

Front page of today's paper confirms Radiance passengers will be disembarking on the 4th! Woohoo! See you all here :)

Yes we will see you there!!

It will be an exciting day for everyone:p

Chez

Just received this from Royal....

Dear guests & travel agents,

As the people of Vanuatu recover and rebuild following the devastating damage caused by Tropical Cyclone Pam, Royal Caribbean will amend Radiance of the Seas’ scheduled itinerary on her upcoming 12 night South Pacific cruise, departing Sydney tomorrow, Tuesday 31 March 2015.

We will not be able to visit Mystery Island or Port Vila as planned, however the South Pacific sailing will still call at Luganville and Champagne Bay in Vanuatu, as well as Isle of Pines, Lifou and Noumea in New Caledonia.

We will refund guests for any pre-booked shore excursions for Mystery Island and Port Vila as a result of this change.

We thank you for your ongoing support and understanding. Thanks also to all of our friends and guests who have asked how they can help the people of Vanuatu. If you would like to donate to the Australian Red Cross Cyclone Pam (Vanuatu) 2015 Appeal, please click here

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Hope they tell the locals we are not coming......better still, hope this has come from head office who maybe hasn't a clue.

Guess we will have to wait until onboard. Bellamariya, maybe you know more?

Wonder what stops they will put in instead or will it be a really sloooooow cruise!

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

Hope they tell the locals we are not coming......better still, hope this has come from head office who maybe hasn't a clue.

Guess we will have to wait until onboard. Bellamariya, maybe you know more?

Wonder what stops they will put in instead or will it be a really sloooooow cruise!

Chez

What a shame :(

I guess the locals don't know as much and the cruise lines know more.

In the aftermath of Cyclone Pam I have watched Port Vila transform itself into a cleaner, brighter version of its old self.

Two weeks down the track and the power is back on in most areas, town water supplies are clean and drinkable and for many it is business as usual as most businesses in the main street were open within days of the cyclone passing.

In the last few days I have spoken to many people. The Chief of Mele tells me that Cascades looks wonderful, better than ever. The dive shop down the road has taken video footage of the reefs and dive sites and declared they are looking great. The largest indigenous tour company in Vanuatu is ready to resume tours. Many resorts are advertising that the are open and ready to take bookings.

Port Vila is ready for the visitors to come back!

So when are you planning to visit?

Bellamariya, thanks so much for the report of how things are looking over there! Do you work there?

Just returned from cruise on Rhapsody that left on the 20th, were meant to stop at Mystery Island, but went to Mare instead. Mare was beautiful, with great snorkelling. Just a heads up, if you do get rerouted to Mare, you are not allowed to walk on any roads (many people did, idiots) and have to take a 20 min bus ride to beach, which costs $20 per person (totally worth it IMO). Full review coming soon :)

Bellamariya, thanks so much for the report of how things are looking over there! Do you work there?

Bellamariya owns the La Tentation restaurant on the Port Vila waterfront ....she doesn't promote it on these boards,but I can confirm it's one the best restaurants in Port Vila.

We visited the restaurant twice on a land vacation at the Le Lagon resort.