Do you have to know how to swim to visit the baths in Tortola?

rs45thompson

This will be my families first time in Tortola. I have seen a few posts that said The Baths is not to be missed. I would love to go and see it but I have also read a few posts that says you have to swim in from the boats DH and I don't swim. Is there another way to get to it and still get back to the ship on time? Any info would be helpful.

This will be my families first time in Tortola. I have seen a few posts that said The Baths is not to be missed. I would love to go and see it but I have also read a few posts that says you have to swim in from the boats DH and I don't swim. Is there another way to get to it and still get back to the ship on time? Any info would be helpful.

We are just back from the Gem and there were two tours to the Baths. For one tour (called Virgin Gorda Baths Snorkel) you swam from a boat to the beach (we did this one), the other was a ferry to Virgin Gorda and then an open van to the Baths park. You could swim or not. I'm sure others who were on that tour specifically can answer with more detail for that tour.

Check out Tortola under Ports of Call (and then Caribbean) on this site too.

Edited by mizlorinj

You can take the ferry to Virgin Gorda ..it is not far from where you dock .once there there is a shuttle to the baths .Then you walk down a rocky path to the beach ..it takes about 15 to 20 minutes ....wear good shoes as terrain is uneven ..not good for mobility issuesthe current at the baths can be tricky ...there are riptides so you need to be careful

I think its better to know how to swim ..it is a lovely place with all these rocks or boulders .the are no chairs or facilities once down there ..they do charge to go down the path

My knees not being as good as they once were .i hesitate to go back

The other path is a1hour walk ....not recommended ...you can get to it thryu the caves once you reach the beach ...my back can no longer handle that ..you need to crouch in places and wade in water

If you are in good shape it will be fine ..just keep an eye on the sea currents that day

You don't need to be able to swim, it is a great experience, I did the climbing through the boulders it was fun some I chose not to go through there was always an alternate way. But it is extremely romantic, so many nice spots to get pics. Don't miss it!!

You can take the ferry to Virgin Gorda ..it is not far from where you dock .once there there is a shuttle to the baths .Then you walk down a rocky path to the beach ..it takes about 15 to 20 minutes ....wear good shoes as terrain is uneven ..not good for mobility issues. The current at the baths can be tricky ...there are riptides so you need to be careful ....it is a lovely place with all these rocks or boulders ...the are no chairs or facilities once down there ..

..you need to crouch in places and wade in water

If you are in good shape it will be fine ..just keep an eye on the sea currents that day

DITTO. Whenever we get to go to Tortola, we make sure we go to The Baths, via the shuttle. Very uneven terrain to walk down there, but if you know what to expect, you're good.

There is a"small" snack bar once you get down there. The water is clear and easy along the small beach area, BUT when you start crawling or walking through the HUGE boulders.... Be CAREFUL!!! I've been there multiple times and yet I still was dragged out by the under toe and dragged back in, almost crushing my skull. People are around you but the Tide is the Tide and it does what it wants. It is a cool place to visit and it is HOT there. Bring a beach bag with towels, suntan lotion and small cash for the snack bar. The rum punch was pretty good. have fun!

In the baths the water is only a couple feet deep. You can easily walk threw without knowing how to swim. When you get to the other side , out of the rock formations, devils bay beach. The water is deep and can be very rough. There you would need to know how to swim. Go have a great time, the scenery there is to die for. Pure serenity.

Joe P.

Close to the entrance is a natural pool you could do with a baby but crowded with rope lines to climb....maybe the parents change off so each has a turn....the beach there drops off quickly but is lovely....baby should be in a pack to hike up and down from the parking area...next to the parking area is a lovely restaurant with a pool which will feel like heaven once you have gotten to the top...they serve a catch of the day lunch of local foods...the view is amazing....pics can't do it justice...

You do not have to swim from a boat... you may access The Baths by walking.

You don't have to be able to swim to go on the path through the boulders. There are a couple places where you wade through the water, but it is only about knee deep. It really is a place not to be missed!

This is true only if the tide is out (low). I was there during high tide and there were portions where the water was neck deep (I am 5'5").

Would it be possible to take a 1 year old? Sounds like there are places we should avoid, but are there calm pools we could dip him in?

6&8

I took my toddler to Tortola (via the ferry to the shuttle bus). He got seasick on the ferry, but otherwise had a great time. Bring a baby carrier and wear him if he's not a strong walker. My almost 2 yr old did fine walking the shorter path (there are two paths down to the baths), but the paths are definitely not stroller friendly.

He had a lot of fun splashing in the water. The tide/waves can be intense by the rocks. I left my son with my husband and did the caves without them.

243e1552e9d44214d412cf2f31c8c9ba.jpgdf17565544d634eb4c506e37b6b18ca5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk