Tour of orvieto and Assisi

kborth

We are looking at this tour offered by Viator. We have not taken any of their tours, just wondering if they are any good. We will be in Rome on the 25th of next month for 4 days and have already done the Vatican and Colosseum last year.

One should understand that Viator is not really a tour company but rather a tour booking agency. They simply contract with tour providers. In fact, Viator is now owned by Tripadvisor! So you might want to explore whether putting together your own small private tour, and making arrangements with a local tour provider or recommended guide, is a better option.

As to a day tour to Assisi and Orvieto you might want to consider that it is more then a 4 hour drive round trip from Rome to Assisi. That is a lot of driving for a single day and some might want to spend more time actually being in places rather than driving. Orvieto is a delightful hill town and certainly a reasonable day trip from Rome. If you want to go on your own you can just grab a train from Rome (about 1:15 one way) and walk around (which is what you do on a tour) the compact town.

Another excellent day trip from Rome is Tivoli where one can visit Villa d'Este (Tivoli Gardens) and also Hadrian's Villa (located outside of Tivoli). There is also a wonderful park in Tivoli for those that enjoy walking and enjoying the outdoors.

Hank

Hi I think we will take the train to Orvieto, sounds lovely and more manageable. Sure wish I had more time to travel through Italy.

Orvieto has a beautiful cathedral, as does all Itailan cities. Nearby is the tourist office for tickets for guided tour of the caves below the town. The guided tour was very informative. These caves/rooms were used for storage and also when town would be attacked. They run all under the city.

Off the cathedral plaza about half a block is a wonderful childrens shop with a variety of beautifully made wooden toys. It is a grand parents delight.:D

And do not forget to sample the Oriveto white wine!

We had a wonderful day in Orvieto.

Orvieto has a beautiful cathedral, as does all Itailan cities. Nearby is the tourist office for tickets for guided tour of the caves below the town. The guided tour was very informative. These caves/rooms were used for storage and also when town would be attacked. They run all under the city.

Off the cathedral plaza about half a block is a wonderful childrens shop with a variety of beautifully made wooden toys. It is a grand parents delight.:D

And do not forget to sample the Oriveto white wine!

We had a wonderful day in Orvieto.

You forgot about the ceramics!!!!! Orvieto is one of the ceramics centers of Italy. I have to stay away from Orvieto - I can spend literally thousands of Euros there in a day on everything I would want to take home with me :eek:

You forgot about the ceramics!!!!! Orvieto is one of the ceramics centers of Italy. I have to stay away from Orvieto - I can spend literally thousands of Euros there in a day on everything I would want to take home with me :eek:

I thank the airlines for their luggage restrictions. It has saved us a lot of money in that town and a few other places. "But dear, we do not have any more spare weight in our luggage and its hard to carry that stuff without it breaking!"

Hank

We are looking at this tour offered by Viator. We have not taken any of their tours, just wondering if they are any good. We will be in Rome on the 25th of next month for 4 days and have already done the Vatican and Colosseum last year.

Check out Rome in Limo tours they have some wonderful tours to areas surrounding Rome. Even if you don't tour with them their tours can give you some great ideas of what to do.

We loved Orvieto & Civita Bagnoregio. Just be aware the shops in these small villages close for several hours in the afternoon.

I thank the airlines for their luggage restrictions. It has saved us a lot of money in that town and a few other places. "But dear, we do not have any more spare weight in our luggage and its hard to carry that stuff without it breaking!"

Hank

I thought going carryon would keep me from spending far too much money on ceramics. But, the Italians came up with the nefarious thing called Poste Italia ;) One very nice ceramics factory owner even drove us to the closest Poste Italia office with our wares. We bought boxes there and then got a ton of newspapers and packed our stuff right there. Got home 2 weeks later and all in one piece!