Princess v RCL

Veng

So we're planning a cruise this fall and looking at airfare + cruise, a princess 10 day out of SF is the same price as a 7 day RCL out of Vancouverish area. We're in our early 30s, will bring no kids, and while we enjoy having a good time, are not party animals by any stretch. We've only been on one cruise together, an RCL in the eastern Caribbean. I hear a lot about princess being an older crowd and RCL being a lot more fun. Am I silly to consider a 7 day RCL over a 10 day princess or will the 10 day princess have plenty of options for the under 60 crowd and I should be taking the much longer vacation (mostly sea days)? Thoughts?

You really do not gain any more "Alaska experience" by going out of SFO compared to Vancouver. You just gain more sea days.

Having done RCCL and Princess to Alaska, I thought Princess was a better experience. They have a naturalist onboard who does talks all week, they bring speakers on board (Libby Riddles who was first female to win Iditarod), etc... RCCL did none of this. All they did was a "shopping talk".

Demographics are the same in Alaska. BTW - I started sailing Princess and RCCL in my late 20's (and am in my early 40's now) and I preferred Princess to RCCL, even in the Caribbean.

BTW - not sure the week you are planning on going, but after mid September, the weather can get very fowl in Alaska.

You really do not gain any more "Alaska experience" by going out of SFO compared to Vancouver. You just gain more sea days.

BTW - not sure the week you are planning on going, but after mid September, the weather can get very fowl in Alaska.

I agree... September is cheaper... but the weather can have more excursions cancelled and even ports closed (friend's boat could not dock in Ketchikan a few years ago).

In addition to sea days.... cruising from from SFO to Vancouver means airfare savings that may be important to a budget traveller. However you will be missing out on a great bonus port in Canada.

I agree... September is cheaper... but the weather can have more excursions cancelled and even ports closed (friend's boat could not dock in Ketchikan a few years ago).

In addition to sea days.... cruising from from SFO to Vancouver means airfare savings that may be important to a budget traveller. However you will be missing out on a great bonus port in Canada.

Though - many of the SFO sailings include Victoria. Love Vancouver, love Victoria!

A few years ago, one of the ships sailing from Whittier had to stay in port for a few days as the winds were so bad.

The trip back to SFO can be relaxing so I can see the attraction (plus airfare).