Sunday in Rome

m1k2s3

We will be in Rome on a Sunday in May on a shore excursion ( from the Civitavecchia port). What I'm wondering is what will be closed to visitors on a Sunday. We would of course like to see things like the Colosseum, the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, etc but I suspect there will be things not open to tourists on a Sunday.

Anyone have any experience with this? And yes, I did a search through the forum on this topic but to be honest, the search function on this forum has never been helpful to me.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

The Colosseum (and Forum and Palatine Hill, all on the same ticket) are open on Sundays; in fact, they are open every day except for major holidays.

The Vatican is not one thing but several. St. Peter's basilica is open (and free). The Vatican museums -- of which the Sistine chapel is part -- are closed most Sundays. They are open and free on the last Sunday of each month, from 9am to 2pm only. (And they are mobbed on this day.)

Most other things are also open on Sundays. Monday is the typical day for sites and museums (other than what I already listed above) to close.

Edited by cruisemom42

Actually, Sundays are not a big problem unless you want to visit the Vatican Museum (only open 1 Sunday a month) or shop. Most other touristy places are open. In Italy we often find Monday (especially before noon) to be a bigger problem then Sundays.

Since the OP will be taking an excursion you only need to sit back and let them do all the thinking. But we are do it yourself type folks so on our last Sunday in Rome we enjoyed a few hours at the Borghese Gardens and Museum.

Hank

My other two favorite museums in Rome are the Castel de Angelo at the bridge of the Angels over the Tiber. it has a rich history. They have audio guides. It took us two hours to slowly see all the rooms from the ground floor winding up to the roof.Here on the roof you have great vista of Rome. Bring your camera.

The other is the Capitoline Museum at the top of the Roman forum. Spent a Sunday afternoon wandering the galleries. The Horse/rider statute of, I think, of Emperor Hadrian is fabulous.

Good to see two of my favorite posters on the Ports of Call,

Hank and Cruisemom42.

Cheers!

We enjoyed our visit to the Colosseum on a Sunday this past October and combined it with a visit to the Victor Emmanuel Monument. Take the elevator to the top for fantastic views :)

The walk between the two was really nice since the street connecting the two is pedestrian only on Sundays.

Enjoy your visit!

My other two favorite museums in Rome are the Castel de Angelo at the bridge of the Angels over the Tiber. it has a rich history. They have audio guides. It took us two hours to slowly see all the rooms from the ground floor winding up to the roof.Here on the roof you have great vista of Rome. Bring your camera.

The other is the Capitoline Museum at the top of the Roman forum. Spent a Sunday afternoon wandering the galleries. The Horse/rider statute of, I think, of Emperor Hadrian is fabulous.

Good to see two of my favorite posters on the Ports of Call,

Hank and Cruisemom42.

Cheers!

We enjoyed our visit to the Colosseum on a Sunday this past October and combined it with a visit to the Victor Emmanuel Monument. Take the elevator to the top for fantastic views :)

The walk between the two was really nice since the street connecting the two is pedestrian only on Sundays.

Enjoy your visit!

The Capitoline is one of my top three favorite museums in the world, to date. The magnificent statue is of Marcus Aurelius.

If you exit the main part of the museum and walk across the piazza where the replica is, called the Campidoglio, go up the staircase on the right side off the building you are facing. At the top, turn right and go through the last door (I think it's number 9) and you will come out on top of the Vittorio Emanuele monument right at a lovely little cafe with great views out over the Roman Forum. It is a wonderful spot to have a cappuccino and reflect over all treasures you've just seen!