Will you reduce DSC

Postimg is a hosting site for pictures where I uploaded the screen shot of ncl website lol.. the site has nothing to do with it but hosting the screen shot I took to add it to this post.

The screen shot I took was from http://www.ncl.com/terms - go to that link which is NCL website, scroll down to "service charges" you will see it!!

No need to look at the FAQs whether on NCL or not. Contract trumps all.

No need to look at the FAQs whether on NCL or not. Contract trumps all.

Contract also says you agree to terms and conditions. In terms and conditions it says the DSC is a "prepaid gratuity" that is referred as a service charge.

So what one is it?????? Don't say it's the same! A gratuity and service charge are completely different!!!

With all of NCL's new fees for this and that will you be discounting or reducing your DSC on upcoming cruises.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The new fees don't bother me ... costs do occasionally go up. The only reason I would even consider lowering the DSC is if the service was totally inadequate.

You were correct when you said that.

I also found it hilarious that people "locking in" the lower DSC through prepaying were given a pass, yet anyone stating the intention to reduce the DSC onboard were vilified.

Just more nonsense from the cheerleaders who don't want to engage in critical thinking.

However, you also seem to be all over the place in your opinions on this general subject, from what I've observed.

Basically my opinion is that I I should not be forced into making an early payment to be charged the rate I had contracted when booking. And, with NCL, I really am not forced to. I can change the rate onboard to the rate in effect when I booked the cruise. I'm not sure why pre-paying for a lower rate is viewed as better than changing it on board. I just don't believe in pre-paying things that give me no added value. And I also am a strong believer in cash tipping and rewarding service on a person by person basis.

They raised DSC twice in 5 months; who is to say they won't raise it next month and every month after that? They never explained WHY they raised it, but the cheerleaders swear it is to make up for those that remove or reduce DSC. Interesting theory but doesn't fly. If NCL WERE giving the money to crew, why would they care? If NCL WERE using it as a revenue source who says they won't raise it monthly from now on to make investors happy?

There is little to no indication that all of the additional money is going to the crew. I'm not anti-tipping. I'm anti-throwing money away when the one charging me can't tell me where it is going and what value is added by constantly raising the fees. In my eyes all NCL are doing is creating a situation whereby I am expecting improved services because they are charging me more. They are putting cost increases on the backs of hard working crew and relying on a whole lot of tip guilt in lieu of any communication. NCL certainly has raised the bar on my expectations.

Basically my opinion is that I I should not be forced into making an early payment to be charged the rate I had contracted when booking. And, with NCL, I really am not forced to. I can change the rate onboard to the rate in effect when I booked the cruise. I'm not sure why pre-paying for a lower rate is viewed as better than changing it on board. I just don't believe in pre-paying things that give me no added value. And I also am a strong believer in cash tipping and rewarding service on a person by person basis.

They raised DSC twice in 5 months; who is to say they won't raise it next month and every month after that? They never explained WHY they raised it, but the cheerleaders swear it is to make up for those that remove or reduce DSC. Interesting theory but doesn't fly. If NCL WERE giving the money to crew, why would they care? If NCL WERE using it as a revenue source who says they won't raise it monthly from now on to make investors happy?

There is little to no indication that all of the additional money is going to the crew. I'm not anti-tipping. I'm anti-throwing money away when the one charging me can't tell me where it is going and what value is added by constantly raising the fees. In my eyes all NCL are doing is creating a situation whereby I am expecting improved services because they are charging me more. They are putting cost increases on the backs of hard working crew and relying on a whole lot of tip guilt in lieu of any communication. NCL certainly has raised the bar on my expectations.

I agree with all of this, but I thought I saw some posts where you were bashing people for reducing or removing the DSC. Maybe I'm confused.

Anyway, I feel the same way as you do in your post above.

I know that some of you continually post that you can remove the DSC is you wish. But it seems that what I read is this from NCL:

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

But this seems to say that if NCL cannot fix an issue you bring to their attention you can adjust it. This seems to be very clear in when and why it can be adjusted. Am I missing something?

I agree with all of this, but I thought I saw some posts where you were bashing people for reducing or removing the DSC. Maybe I'm confused.

Anyway, I feel the same way as you do in your post above.

No, I wouldn't bash someone for doing that. I believe if the company offers something as an option you can't really be wrong for selecting one option instead of another. If someone chooses to tip in cash instead of DSC that is a perfectly fine choice, and that's the companies perspective, not mine. DSC is a relatively new thing in the world of cruising, has only been around a few years. I still believe cash is king when rewarding services and the time honored and traditional way of doing things. Newer ways are not always better until demonstrated to be so and I've yet to see any cruise line demonstrate it is better.

I was against the practice at Royal Caribbean of forcing pre-payment for gratuities for My Time Dining, when traditional early/late diners did not have to pre-pay and could use OBC to cover costs. I was vilified, beat up, called all sorts of names by people who could offer no valid reason for the practice but were proud to stock up on OBC and use that to pay gratuities and give nothing out of pocket. So because I didn't want to pay something out of pocket three months in advance for something they would NEVER pay for out of their own pocket I was labeled the bad guy. Lo and behold, Royal Caribbean wised up and has ended that sort of discriminatory practice and now treats all guests equally regardless of dining plan; as it should be.

Why do people in the laundry room or the deck cleaning crew, who guests will never interact with, be forced to make a living off of discretionary guest tips? The tip pool should consist of guest facing services, and their support crew should be paid a proper wage for the functions they perform to run and maintain NCL's hotel operations. I feel that way about all cruise lines.

pokerpro,

I really appreciate your analysis in post 303. It is fair and really does make one wonder what is going on with NCL.

I have cruised with several lines, but took my first NCL cruise on the Epic last month in the Med. It was a stunning cruise, and most of the service was exceptional. However, the few small things that did happen were never properly rectified, even after multiple, patient requests on my part. The Guest Services Desk (and I call it that with a giggle because they are so lacking in providing just that) was useless, and finally, after four days, I pulled my tips. Instead, I tipped above and beyond in cash, to the staff (props to my room attendant, Jeffrey and the wait staff at Le Bistro...wow!) who really deserved it and never once looked back.

And I have another NCL cruise booked for spring break that I am really looking forward to. I will still cruise with them as I love their free-style philosophy, however, I will do it on my terms and pay the tips as appropriate.

I know that some of you continually post that you can remove the DSC is you wish. But it seems that what I read is this from NCL:

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

But this seems to say that if NCL cannot fix an issue you bring to their attention you can adjust it. This seems to be very clear in when and why it can be adjusted. Am I missing something?

Yes, this is what you are missing. The contract and the terms and conditions for NCL.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

http://www.ncl.com/terms

What you quoted is one reason someone may choose to adjust DSC; not the ONLY reason one may do so.

Edited by LMaxwell

I'd rather be a cheerleader than what is known as one of the Cruise Critic whiners. If you don't like Norwegian don't sail them. That's why there are many other cruise lines out there for your convenience

I happen to like Norwegian's policy. It gives me choice. The only whining being done is by those who do not accept that others don't do exactly the same as they do.

Basically you said that you'd rather be a cheerleader than be capable of critical thinking<?>

Edited by LMaxwell

Oh my gosh, people! So much arguing over tiny details, semantics and language. Yes, there is a difference between a service charge and a tip, and ideas about tipping are culturally ingrained and very different between different cultures, so it is hard to change anyone's mind.

When I worked in a restaurant in college (over 20 years ago), we could pretty much peg how someone would tip the minute they walked in the door. Which is why knowledgeable waitresses shared their tips with the hostess, who would then seat the likely high tippers at their tables and give the low tippers to someone else. Guys trying to impress a date early in the relationship were the best tippers. People from other countries were the worst tippers, because waiters in their countries are paid a better wage and not dependent on tips, so they are just not used to tipping. Large groups were bad because people can't do math and don't realize they need to add 27% on to their share to cover tax and tip, which is why a lot of restaurants automatically add on tip for groups. Seniors were respectful but more frugal, tending to tip exactly 15% rather than rounding up. Our manager told us we would get better tips if we wore mini skirts. I could go on, and get more offensive with my generalizations and stereotypes, but they were awfully true. After serving thousands of customers, you would not believe how well the staff can predict whether or not you are going to tip them well, based on your demographics and appearance, which may be why some experience better service than others on cruise ships. (We could also predict what salad dressings people would choose and what drinks they would order, with shocking accuracy.)

Anyway, I choose to look at this from a big picture standpoint and not worry about the technicality of tip vs. service charge. The way I see it:

1. Cruising is way cheaper than it was 20 years ago. We are all getting a bargain.

2. All the workers on a cruise ship work their tails off and get paid crap wages. This is how the cruise lines keep fares so low. We all benefit from this cheap labor. Where else can you get a vacation with room and board (and lately, UBP) included for this price?

3. Yes, in the days of the tipping envelopes, a lot of people did stiff the crew. In fairness, the cruise lines did not do a good job telling people about the tipping expectations in advance, so maybe some first time cruisers did not budget or plan for it. It was embarrassing to see so many seats empty in the MDR on the last night.

4. Whether the cruise line calls it a gratuity or a service charge, they use our DSC to elevate the wages of everyone who works on the ship from total crap to slightly livable. This includes not just waiters and room stewards who serve us directly, but also the people slaving below decks to wash your towels and deal with your trash, the guy constantly wiping down the rails on the stairs, the people working in the kitchen - everyone! Wages are still low for the numbers of hours these people work and the conditions they live in, which is why you don't see people from first world countries working on cruise ships. The way I see it, the DSC is not a gratuity or a service charge, it is a wage subsidy. The cruise lines are not going to say this, because it would make them look bad. Sure, I would rather they charge us a higher cruise fare and pay a better wage, so the wage subsidy could be equally spread among all pax rather than the rest of us picking up the tab for the cheapskates, but customers choose cruises based on cheapest fare.

5. NCL's DSC is lower than a lot of other lines, and is quite small when compared to the entire cost of the cruise. Even with the small increase, we are still getting a bargain.

So stop looking for justification to get out of paying your DSC, people! You are still getting a great deal on your vacation! I always pre-pay my DSC, which makes it feel more like part of the cruise fare, which is really how I see it. Just pay the DSC in advance, forget about it, chill out, and enjoy your cruise!

Oh my gosh, people! So much arguing over tiny details, semantics and language. Yes, there is a difference between a service charge and a tip, and ideas about tipping are culturally ingrained and very different between different cultures, so it is hard to change anyone's mind.

When I worked in a restaurant in college (over 20 years ago), we could pretty much peg how someone would tip the minute they walked in the door. Which is why knowledgeable waitresses shared their tips with the hostess, who would then seat the likely high tippers at their tables and give the low tippers to someone else. Guys trying to impress a date early in the relationship were the best tippers. People from other countries were the worst tippers, because waiters in their countries are paid a better wage and not dependent on tips, so they are just not used to tipping. Large groups were bad because people can't do math and don't realize they need to add 27% on to their share to cover tax and tip, which is why a lot of restaurants automatically add on tip for groups. Seniors were respectful but more frugal, tending to tip exactly 15% rather than rounding up. Our manager told us we would get better tips if we wore mini skirts. I could go on, and get more offensive with my generalizations and stereotypes, but they were awfully true. After serving thousands of customers, you would not believe how well the staff can predict whether or not you are going to tip them well, based on your demographics and appearance, which may be why some experience better service than others on cruise ships. (We could also predict what salad dressings people would choose and what drinks they would order, with shocking accuracy.)

Anyway, I choose to look at this from a big picture standpoint and not worry about the technicality of tip vs. service charge. The way I see it:

1. Cruising is way cheaper than it was 20 years ago. We are all getting a bargain.

2. All the workers on a cruise ship work their tails off and get paid crap wages. This is how the cruise lines keep fares so low. We all benefit from this cheap labor. Where else can you get a vacation with room and board (and lately, UBP) included for this price?

3. Yes, in the days of the tipping envelopes, a lot of people did stiff the crew. In fairness, the cruise lines did not do a good job telling people about the tipping expectations in advance, so maybe some first time cruisers did not budget or plan for it. It was embarrassing to see so many seats empty in the MDR on the last night.

4. Whether the cruise line calls it a gratuity or a service charge, they use our DSC to elevate the wages of everyone who works on the ship from total crap to slightly livable. This includes not just waiters and room stewards who serve us directly, but also the people slaving below decks to wash your towels and deal with your trash, the guy constantly wiping down the rails on the stairs, the people working in the kitchen - everyone! Wages are still low for the numbers of hours these people work and the conditions they live in, which is why you don't see people from first world countries working on cruise ships. The way I see it, the DSC is not a gratuity or a service charge, it is a wage subsidy. The cruise lines are not going to say this, because it would make them look bad. Sure, I would rather they charge us a higher cruise fare and pay a better wage, so the wage subsidy could be equally spread among all pax rather than the rest of us picking up the tab for the cheapskates, but customers choose cruises based on cheapest fare.

5. NCL's DSC is lower than a lot of other lines, and is quite small when compared to the entire cost of the cruise. Even with the small increase, we are still getting a bargain.

So stop looking for justification to get out of paying your DSC, people! You are still getting a great deal on your vacation! I always pre-pay my DSC, which makes it feel more like part of the cruise fare, which is really how I see it. Just pay the DSC in advance, forget about it, chill out, and enjoy your cruise!

TOTALLY AGREE! For both my Escape cruises I prepaid the DSC and say that's part of my cruise fare. I, too, was once a server.....so I do tend to over tip. On my last Getaway cruise......we got the best service...because no matter where I went I left a cash tip. Even a butler from the Havens served me....and I was not in the Havens. Every night I ate in the MDR to specialty to even buffets... I would always leave a cash tip. And when they see my party coming.....they come running. And ALL of them deserve it and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually tip the hostess too

All of the above sounds great, until you really think about it.

The bottom line is that we are expected to give our "tips" to NCL to forward on to their employees. We are given no information what percentage of our tips actually make it to them, and what percentage is kept/spent by NCL in some way.

We have no way to adjust off the DSC to remove/reassign tips from major areas we don't use, such as the MDR when we dine exclusively at specialties.

If you really feel bad about the plight of the NCL crew, then walk around the ship and hand out cash tips to random crewmembers, as well as tip those who directly serve you. Hand a $10 bill to the guy you see painting the deck. Hand a $20 to the guy cleaning the bathroom. Hand a $5 to the washy-washy person.

I can respect that, because I know that these tips are directly entering the hands of those they are intended.

But NCL wants us to just hand them a lump sum of money, and hope that it really makes it where it should. I'm already uneasy that they are spending some of our tips on "team building" exercises. That should not be happening.

I am also not convinced that workers are actually penalized when we adjust off the DSC. It's very possible that NCL covers the difference, and has already set a constant wage for their workers, using the DSC to simply reimburse themselves.

Bottom line is that if you want to give charity to NCL workers, that's great. Just don't do it via the DSC.

I am cooperating to some extent with the DSC. I have 3 in my party. I am paying the DSC for two, and I am opting out of the other to hand out in cash tips where I see fit. I'm not eating in the MDR, so I feel this is fair. And I know that 100% of my cash tips won't end up in "team building" or NCL's bank account, which is the best feeling of all.

I DO NOT believe that some of the peeps on here that SAY they gonna reduce or take off the DSC and then give cash tips. Just like Yall say that u don't believe NCL does this or give that......how r they NCL believe u will give out cash tips. PLEASE people...u can fool NCL but you're not fooling me. U wanna be cheap than just admit it...tell ALL the employees u come in contact with that ur removing it.. If yall r honest then take an ENVELOPE......get the name of the worker you're gonna give it to and bring it to the highest level or an NCL designated account persons who will give that worker the monies....show them the cash tips then let guest services remove the DSC after they see that Yall R genuine in giving out cash tips. Plus.....who would have the time to go everywhere to look for ALL the workers behind the scenes......Ur on vacation!

I agree. Some teachers in Louisiana really need to be stripped of tenure.

I agree. Some teachers in Louisiana do. But that's another topic that I'm sure u can get a forum started. At least they didn't teach to be cheap.

I agree. Some teachers in Louisiana do. But that's another topic that I'm sure u can get a forum started. At least they didn't teach to be cheap.

Or much at all:D

Or much at all:D

Hey.....we can do this all day. But I do have to wake up tomorrow and open my successful business. This topic is about DSC or lack there of and about cruising. Yes, u (correction...You) can and probably rule in these forums. I'm sorry if my fifth language (English) is not UP to ur (your) standards.....And go....your turn! [emoji8][emoji8]

Hey.....we can do this all day. But I do have to wake up tomorrow and open my successful business. This topic is about DSC or lack there of and about cruising. Yes, u (correction...You) can and probably rule in these forums. I'm sorry if my fifth language (English) is not UP to ur (your) standards.....And go....your turn! [emoji8][emoji8]

With all due respect to your multilingualism, when one, even if educated and successful, communicates in acronyms and millennial text talk, it makes one appear either ignorant or lazy. It is standard here to use proper grammar and punctuation. No one would ever mock another for honest mistakes, but you might be more successful with your arguments if you took the time to write out the words. It boils down to making the text easier to understand for the reader instead of easier to type for the writer. It is consideration for others.

And it is none of your business how I tip. But I guarantee that at the end of a cruise if we asked our mutual steward who he/she would rather have as a repeat, he/she would choose me. I am very considerate.

With all due respect to your multilingualism, when one, even if educated and successful, communicates in acronyms and millennial text talk, it makes one appear either ignorant or lazy. It is standard here to use proper grammar and punctuation. No one would ever mock another for honest mistakes, but you might be more successful with your arguments if you took the time to write out the words. It boils down to making the text easier to understand for the reader instead of easier to type for the writer. It is consideration for others.

And it is none of your business how I tip. But I guarantee that at the end of a cruise if we asked our mutual steward who he/she would rather have as a repeat, he/she would choose me. I am very considerate.

They choose the one who is tipping.....period.

They choose the one who is tipping.....period.

By tipping do you mean paying the DSC or giving him or her cold hard cash? Do you think that there might be a reason that discussing gratuities is cause for termination? Every steward would prefer my $70 cash to your DSC. It is only logical.