Will you reduce DSC

Which is why over half the MDR was vacant on the last evening of a cruise. It was a bad system replaced by a better system. Not the best, but better.

Yep, the last night on one cruise NO ONE ELSE was at our table of 8. Amazing how good the buffet looked that night, huh?

Some people are cheapskates. As it spreads, I'm sure NCL will make the DSC mandatory and due at final payment instead of on the ship.

Don't buy it, if you want. That's what many cruise lines still do. You have the option to have it added to your account, on the last day, or, pay cash, in envelopes they provide.

I was referring and quoted the poster who stated that people who remove the DSC have no intention of giving cash tips.

They were given in cash in envelopes to your servers directly ..........AND it was amazing how empty the main dining rooms used to be on the last night with people eating at the buffet so they could stiff their servers.

Yeah - I keep hearing about all of these empty dining rooms. My cruise history listed is a fraction of our trips. I do not recall seeing empty dining rooms on the last night of the cruise. People paid a fortune to cruise back then, and I really do not think any of them were the type to skip out on a gratuity.

Oh I did - they can change the itinerary and # of days, even after final payment, completely if they wanted to for whatever reason even (Exhibit A is the Pearl that gets chartering off alot). But I guess you knew that already. :rolleyes:

But in the scenarios you presented, the cruise is given the option to cancel their cruise with no penalty. that has not been the case with these other issues.

Yeah - I keep hearing about all of these empty dining rooms. My cruise history listed is a fraction of our trips. I do not recall seeing empty dining rooms on the last night of the cruise. People paid a fortune to cruise back then, and I really do not think any of them were the type to skip out on a gratuity.

You may have not seen the empty MDRs but I did personally, on the Jubilee in 2000 and the Triumph in 2001. The first time I was wondering what the hell was going on and I understood the second time. It was a crying shame.

You may have not seen the empty MDRs but I did personally, on the Jubilee in 2000 and the Triumph in 2001. The first time I was wondering what the hell was going on and I understood the second time. It was a crying shame.

I remember my first cruise on Royal Caribbean and I had to ask someone why there were so many empty seats in the dining room on the last night. I was shocked to learn that that many folks stiffed the servers and thought it was just Royal Caribbean, until it happened again on my Princess cruises and then on cruise lines after, until the cruise lines wised up and started charging it daily to the passengers.

Anyone taking advantage of prepaying for a lower rate is, in essence, reducing the DSC. The new rates are known and charged as of August 1st. So if you prepay for a reduced amount, you have paid in less than those onboard.

I will not be prepaying for the reduced amount.

Anyone taking advantage of prepaying for a lower rate is, in essence, reducing the DSC. The new rates are known and charged as of August 1st. So if you prepay for a reduced amount, you have paid in less than those onboard.

So technically they are grandfathering everyone in, if somebody wants to pay less they prepay and if somebody does not want to pay less they can pay at the time of the cruise. Wow that makes this whole thing make much more sense now. So if somebody is complaining about the DSC and does not prepay they are essentially doing it to themselves.

So technically they are grandfathering everyone in, if somebody wants to pay less they prepay and if somebody does not want to pay less they can pay at the time of the cruise. Wow that makes this whole thing make much more sense now. So if somebody is complaining about the DSC and does not prepay they are essentially doing it to themselves.

they aren't grandfathering anyone in. grandfathering implies that the guest need not take any further action and would pay the contracted amount at the time of service (being charged the DSC each day at the rate it was when they booked). It would be automatically handled

They are offering for people to pre-pay at a reduced rate. So, in effect, if you opt to prepay you ARE reducing DSC versus what is now the going rate.

If you prepay the lower amount is NCL "kicking in" the balance to reach the new, higher amount charged after August 1st?

I only wish that NCL would make it a mandatory fee. They probably wouldn't need to keep raising it if everyone paid their share. I feel that I have to pay more because of all the people that reduce it to begin with. Make it mandatory and we won't have these discussions anymore.

I only wish that NCL would make it a mandatory fee. They probably wouldn't need to keep raising it if everyone paid their share. I feel that I have to pay more because of all the people that reduce it to begin with. Make it mandatory and we won't have these discussions anymore.

They never said why they raised it and have never said how many people alter it. You're just making assumptions about it.

If they make it mandatory and you get bad service from someone, then what?

Guest phd1003
They never said why they raised it and have never said how many people alter it. You're just making assumptions about it.

and if workers are expecting to get a certain share of the DSC that are not there, then that leads to low morale and moody employees...Think what YOU like but the higher DSC is because a certain % don't pay there share...Hope they do make it mandatory...It also says on the NCL website "in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges." Meaning if you are ONBOARD and have a problem, then reduce it, don't get onboard KNOWING your screwing someone...Do you go to restaurants with intentions of not tipping?

Nope! The increase is less than $4.00 for a 7 day cruise. Not worth the time and headache to go stand in line at guest services to reduce it 4 bucks.

Also, I don't expect my gallon of milk to stay the same price year after year, so why should I expect the auto- gratuities or anything else to stay the same?

and if workers are expecting to get a certain share of the DSC that are not there, then that leads to low morale and moody employees...Think what YOU like but the higher DSC is because a certain % don't pay there share...Hope they do make it mandatory...It also says on the NCL website "in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges." Meaning if you are ONBOARD and have a problem, then reduce it, don't get onboard KNOWING your screwing someone...Do you go to restaurants with intentions of not tipping?

Not at all, but do you really believe NCL gave contracted employees two raises in 4 months?

If the higher DSC were to compensate employees they wouldn't let you prepay for a discount.

And do I need to refer you to the contract which supercedes the FAQ?

Edited by LMaxwell

Yes, we did bring cash for tips and stuff them into envelopes years ago. I still recall the waiter on one cruise chasing us down because he thought we were leaving the dining room without tipping him. Ah, the good ol' days. No, we were actually trying to find him since he wasn't around when we were ready to leave. And I also recall empty seats at the last dinner and feeling sorry for the crew.

As for carrying that extra cash for tips, I didn't like doing it back then and am relieved I don't have to do it now.

But why do people think service is going to be bad before they even step onboard? What a way to start a vacation!

Guest phd1003
Not at all, but do you really believe NCL gave contracted employees two raises in 4 months?

If the higher DSC were to compensate employees they wouldn't let you prepay for a discount.

And do I need to refer you to the contract which supercedes the FAQ?

I have 2 cruises booked with NCL, letting me prepay the DSC now for a cruise 15 months from now is like getting a interest free loan for them, it's a win for them and a win for me, however I am NOT prepaying because I don't have a problem paying the additional $25 next year, or this year...You can justify being cheap anyway you want...As long as it helps you sleep at night...Why are you complaining about an increase you have no intention of paying? let them raise it 5 times, you will complain about how they raised it again but if you don't pay it to begin with why speak on the topic?

I have 2 cruises booked with NCL, letting me prepay the DSC now for a cruise 15 months from now is like getting a interest free loan for them, it's a win for them and a win for me, however I am NOT prepaying because I don't have a problem paying the additional $25 next year, or this year...You can justify being cheap anyway you want...As long as it helps you sleep at night...Why are you complaining about an increase you have no intention of paying? let them raise it 5 times, you will complain about how they raised it again but if you don't pay it to begin with why speak on the topic?

Who said I had no intention of paying it?

I don't think someone prepaying to obtain a savings has very solid ground to criticize others for asking questions about the same thing.

Edited by LMaxwell

I would never reduce the DSC but wonder why those that do are criticized when the cruise line gets a pass for not paying enough? The staff works very hard to make our experience good. I also wonder how much of the money goes to the crew when you prepay the DSC. I would hope it would be 100% but doubt it.:cool:

As is your choice. And NCL could keep it a secret and not let people know that the price is changing and that by prepaying they can pay the lower fee so in essence, NCL is shooting themselves in the foot.

People alter or remove it. That is a fact, not an assumption.

If you get bad service, you do what you are supposed to do, go to the front desk and get the service issue corrected. That is the way it is supposed to be anyway before even thinking about altering the DSC.

What is so funny, those that complained that NCL should have grandfather everyone in with the changes, are not complaining that NCL is grandfathering everyone in with the increases in the DSC. NCL can't win no matter what they do.

What is so funny, those that complained that NCL should have grandfather everyone in with the changes, are not complaining that NCL is grandfathering everyone in with the increases in the DSC. NCL can't win no matter what they do.

I know, it so hilarious the one time NCL actually does something 'right' and its seems so wrong to the complainers....And they don't seem to want to hear that some people got grandfathered in to DSC til 2017 - ironic, isn't it?