Free - Restaurants on Equinox

kito42

I started cruising about 25 years ago, went on a dozen or so cruises over a 5 year period then stopped cruising once I got married as my new hubby didn't like cruising. I don't remember any PAID restaurants on board back then.

5 years ago I went on the Celebrity Summit with a friend. Loved the ship but I was surprised to see you had to PAY to eat at some restaurants... In a couple of weeks I am going on another cruise, the Equinox, and I am very much looking forward to the cruise but I have no intention of paying for food on a cruise! It seems to me that that goes against the whole concept of what I think of as a cruise... We did not get main or early seating so ended up with anytime dinning and are forced to leave tips in advance. I usually enjoyed getting to know our dining room staff and rewarding them with a generous tip for a great job but this has been taken away from us also :(

So, I don't mean to complain, really I don't, and I am certain we will still have a wonderful time, but I am wondering how many places, other then the buffet and the MDR you can eat at which are free? What hours are these places open?

Edited by kito42

In addition to what you listed:

Mast Bar and Grill (one deck above pool). Open from around 11AM to 6PM. Has burgers, hot dogs and (sometimes) sausages.

Café El Bacio has complimentary pastries every day (even if you don't buy coffee). They are early (I think 7AM) and close late.

Edited by Max Circus
typo

Even with anytime dining, you can reserve a table. If you get a server that you really like, you can arrange to eat at the same table every night on the cruise.

On our 15 day Hawaii cruise, there were a group of 10 of us who wanted to dine together. We were able to reserve the same table at the same time for the entire length of the cruise.

Also, when you get onboard, you can go to the dining room and see if you are able to get into early or late seating. Just see the Maitre D.

In addition to what you listed:

Mast Bar and Grill (one deck above pool). Open from around 11AM to 6PM. Has burgers, hot dogs and (sometimes) sausages.

Café El Bacio has complimentary pastries every day (even if you don't buy coffee). They are early (I think 7AM) and close late.

And in addition to what YOU listed, I think you can also count the Aqua Spa Cafe in the Solarium, which serves foods that are theoretically lighter than other eating venues (open until 3pm every day, so breakfast and lunch). :)

Edited by ailetoile

There is also the Aqua Spa cafe in the solarium, most items are free, a few like smoothies have a charge.

Room service is also mostly free, although I understand they have added a few premium items that may have a charge. But no need to spend a dime if you don't want to.

I started cruising about 25 years ago, went on a dozen or so cruises over a 5 year period then stopped cruising once I got married as my new hubby didn't like cruising. I don't remember any PAID restaurants on board back then.

5 years ago I went on the Celebrity Summit with a friend. Loved the ship but I was surprised to see you had to PAY to eat at some restaurants... In a couple of weeks I am going on another cruise, the Equinox, and I am very much looking forward to the cruise but I have no intention of paying for food on a cruise! It seems to me that that goes against the whole concept of what I think of as a cruise... We did not get main or early seating so ended up with anytime dinning and are forced to leave tips in advance. I usually enjoyed getting to know our dining room staff and rewarding them with a generous tip for a great job but this has been taken away from us also :(

So, I don't mean to complain, really I don't, and I am certain we will still have a wonderful time, but I am wondering how many places, other then the buffet and the MDR you can eat at which are free? What hours are these places open?

The thing is, just like many things in life, cruising has changed, while your concept of cruising has stayed the same. The ports have GREATLY changed and developed (many for the worse), ships have gotten CONSIDERABLY bigger and like cars, there are many more options and choices now. Have fun in the MDR, it's still la good experience, but don't discount the option for a different experience by paying as little as $7 more.

Finally, in addition to the choices provided above, there is the Aqua Spa Cafe which is also free.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Aqua Spa is only open for breakfast and lunch.

As far as the specialty restaurants, I used to be like you and didn't get them. Now I view them as nice "treat" with my wife. The restaurants are generally top notch and have a more intimate feeling to them.

I don't always go to one but sometimes the menu in the main dining room is only so-so and sometimes they offer discounts. Keep an open mind.

And don't worry about Select dining. We tried it for the first time this past March and loved it. Got a wonderful table/wait staff the first night and reserved that same table for the rest of the cruise. Awesome.

There are no free restaurants on any ship but there are many included restaurants. The MDR and Buffets are always a good venue. Room service is also included in your fare and the auto daily gratuity covers that too.