Caribbean snorkelling equipment

shallwe

I'm going on Britannia around the Caribbean in December. As it looks so easy to 'do my own thing' rather that use guided tours, we will be making our own way around to different beaches and so forth.

My question is, my wife and I love snorkelling and in my case, scuba diving (normally in the Red Sea). I'm not planning on diving, but as we would be on our own, is it best to take our own snorkel equipment bearing in mind that they would take up valuable baggage weight? Or are there beaches that hire out snorkel equipment everywhere?

Although I have been to the Caribbean before, it was a static holiday where the equipment was provided FOC, so haven't a clue about the availability elsewhere.

I'm going on Britannia around the Caribbean in December. As it looks so easy to 'do my own thing' rather that use guided tours, we will be making our own way around to different beaches and so forth.

My question is, my wife and I love snorkelling and in my case, scuba diving (normally in the Red Sea). I'm not planning on diving, but as we would be on our own, is it best to take our own snorkel equipment bearing in mind that they would take up valuable baggage weight? Or are there beaches that hire out snorkel equipment everywhere?

Although I have been to the Caribbean before, it was a static holiday where the equipment was provided FOC, so haven't a clue about the availability elsewhere.

In the long term, best to purchase your own mask and dry tube. You know where the item has been, and how clean it actually is. :eek:

Suggest you contact a local dive shop for selection and fitting, as it has to be comfortable for you. Also, in the even longer term, as your eyes may deteriorate as one ages, suggest the mask has two lenses from a maker who can supply prescription lenses.

You money will be well spent.;)

Weight of a mask and dry tube are negligable

Happy snorkel.:)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Port Royal, thanks for your answer. Being an advanced certificated scuba diver, I already have my own 'professional' gear and use 'Stickonlenses' in my mask to enable me to read my dive computer clearly. As I won't be using my dive computer, this won't be necessary this time.

You are certainly correct concerning the cleanliness of 3rd party equipment although I've rarely used this route before, I have found that dive centres do tend to immerse their hired equipment in tanks of anti bacterial/viral solutions.

I'm still trying to cut the weight down so just wondering if anyone else has tried to hire equipment from the beach areas and how easy it is to find?

Port Royal, thanks for your answer. Being an advanced certificated scuba diver, I already have my own 'professional' gear and use 'Stickonlenses' in my mask to enable me to read my dive computer clearly. As I won't be using my dive computer, this won't be necessary this time.

You are certainly correct concerning the cleanliness of 3rd party equipment although I've rarely used this route before, I have found that dive centres do tend to immerse their hired equipment in tanks of anti bacterial/viral solutions.

I'm still trying to cut the weight down so just wondering if anyone else has tried to hire equipment from the beach areas and how easy it is to find?

Wow! One bows to your skills. Jus thought if one had given rubbish information, a "flame" would be an understatement.

For my part, hired once, but no dry tubes for my DW, so her experience was regularly paused. The beach equipment is quite serviceable (borderline ancient), and I know a wet tube will not cause you any problems, so just enjoy. :D

shallwe, we're on Britannia in the Caribbean in December too. We don't snorkel or dive, but I've been looking at DIY excursions and many (if not all) of the island tour operators who offer snorkelling excursions, or snorkelling as part of an excursion, appear to supply the necessary equipment, so it's a fair bet that there would be hire places on the beaches. You may have so done already, but if you post your question on the Caribbean ports of call pages, I'm sure there will be s.o. who can give you a more definitive answer.

We did snorkelling in Bonaire and it was beautiful. However we decided to go to a small beach which did not hire equipment. Luckily we had bought a cheap set from Decathlon that worked okay for what we needed.

Hubby took his mask, snorkel and fins in his case last month and I took my mask and snorkel..didn't find it made much difference to the weight allowance...I would always prefer to use my own...with all the norovirus etc around at that time of year it's not worth the risk!

Hi Shallwe

We cruise in the Caribbean every year and I take my own snorkelling mask and tube, it is not very heavy in the big scheme of things. I would assume as a regular diver you would prefer to use your own equipment as you know where it's been.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers