Tulips & Windmill options...

eyeu

Beginning to do my homework for upcoming Uniworld cruise departing April 24th on the Maria Theresa. Know there are no right or wrong answers but just trying to get a feel from former cruisers on this trip.

Antwerp walking tour vs do as the locals do?

Bruges or Ghent?

Nijmegenn Liberation Museum vs Nuenen "village day"

thanks....

Rick

Beginning to do my homework for upcoming Uniworld cruise departing April 24th on the Maria Theresa. Know there are no right or wrong answers but just trying to get a feel from former cruisers on this trip.

Bruges or Ghent?

thanks....

Rick

Hi Rick I did this trip with Vantage and some of your excursion options are different, but I will respond to the ones I did:

Antwerp: I would recommend the walking tour as there is an awful lot of history there. We were given plenty of time to have lunch and shop on our own. Unfortunately, the boat docked(s) in an industrial area that I don't think was walking distance from the city.

Bruges or Ghent? OMG what a horrible choice to have to make!! Both of them were beautiful and interesting but if my back were against the wall and I had to pick I'd pick Bruges. Both are beautiful cities that should be seen and there is no "wrong" choice here. Boat ride in Bruges was fantastic. If there's ANY way you can do both cities, do them both.

Nijmegenn: DH went and said it was very interesting, but he's a history, WWI and WWII lover. I spent the day ashore in Nijmegenn with a few ladies from the ship celebrating the Queen's Birthday (we were there in late April too) which is a VERY big deal and we all bought orange boas and had a blast!!!

One excursion you did not mention is the Aalsmeer Flower Market, which was an optional tour in the morning of our day at Keukenhoff. If this is offered and you have to pay extra for it, pay the money and go. It was amazing. The down side is it's an early morning tour because the market only operates for a few hours every day but the flowers are to die for.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Antwerp walking tour, although you don't say what it is locals do. We had time to lunch at the Grote Markt sampling, as the locals do, frites, moules and beer and then walk to the Red Star Line museum and take in the view from the Museum an den Stroom on the way back. Our Grand Circle ship docked near the Grote Markt, so it was quite convenient.

I would go to Ghent, BUT only because I have been to Brugges. For a first timer, I don't know. I share Hyrdokitty's dilemma . . .

Can't help with your Nijmegen stop. I was thinking of doing the Liberation Museum an an optional, but did not. Fellow cruisers gave it mixed reviews. If it's included, go for it.

You have your work cut out for you! You need to read Monuments Men (read the book, skip the movie) as well as A Bridge Too Far by Ryan.

As mentioned the flower auction merits a tour. And, if you enjoy engineering feats, consider a visit to the Delta Works.

Antwerp walking tour, although you don't say what it is locals do. We had time to lunch at the Grote Markt sampling, as the locals do, frites, moules and beer and then walk to the Red Star Line museum and take in the view from the Museum an den Stroom on the way back. Our Grand Circle ship docked near the Grote Markt, so it was quite convenient.

I would go to Ghent, BUT only because I have been to Brugges. For a first timer, I don't know. I share Hyrdokitty's dilemma . . .

Can't help with your Nijmegen stop. I was thinking of doing the Liberation Museum an an optional, but did not. Fellow cruisers gave it mixed reviews. If it's included, go for it.

You have your work cut out for you! You need to read Monuments Men (read the book, skip the movie) as well as A Bridge Too Far by Ryan.

As mentioned the flower auction merits a tour. And, if you enjoy engineering feats, consider a visit to the Delta Works.

We ate at the Grote Markt too....that's where I had my first (but not last) Kriek....the wonderful Belgian Spring beer made with fresh fruit and served in a tulip glass. It was wonderful. We took a bus to the Square, I don't really remember how close we docked...I'm thinking it was too far to walk.

Bruges or Ghent?

thanks....

Rick

We did Tulips and Windmills one year ago with AMA and had a great time! It was our 2nd trip to Belgium and the Netherlands.

We preferred Ghent to Brugges though Brugge is more of a postcard tourist town. We visited Ghent for a day from Brugge a few years ago (DIY land trip) and spent a full day while on the cruise last April. We walked all over, wandering the back streets and neighborhoods away from the central squares and tourist areas and had a great day.

We had a full day and evening in Antwerp and opted to walk to the train station very early in the morning and hop the train to Brussels as we missed it in our prior trip. We arrived by 9 and returned by 2 to spend the afternoon and evening in Antwerp. It was one of our favorite cities and we would enjoy a return trip one of these trips.

Our other ports were different from those you list.

All in all, the itinerary was varied and interesting and we really enjoyed it! That being said, the actual scenery while cruising was pretty industrial as compared to other rivers.

Enjoy!!

We did this itinerary with Scenic. My thoughts:

Brugges over Ghent.... (our guide wasn't great, so didn't enjoy Ghent all that much...)

Antwerp is a great place to wander around. If you have time, walk the St. Anna Tunnel --> it is a pedestrian tunnel UNDER the river, and gives you the opportunity to see the city from the other side. The escalators are quite unique - a smaller version of the ones in the Moscow subway.

We enjoyed the Delta works. Doubt I would need to see it again - but the engineering work that went into it is quite amazing.

Fran

to do a review of this Scenic trip.Looked under member reviews and cant find.Wish they d have itinerary headings,not just ship.

Thinking of this one,but heard from others it can be sort of industrial cruising scenes. But also weather is a concern, only offered late April and early May.

Have Scenic one in 2 mos.from Paris to N.France,and really hate to commit to another next yr.so soon,but know the rooms we like sell out.Love d our last one, but Budapest to Bucharest not that pretty cruising either.

Would you recommend this,have been to Amsterdam a few times,but never other ports.

Anyone else have this itinerary reviewed for another ship???:confused:

to do a review of this Scenic trip.Looked under member reviews and cant find.Wish they d have itinerary headings,not just ship.

Thinking of this one,but heard from others it can be sort of industrial cruising scenes. But also weather is a concern, only offered late April and early May.

Have Scenic one in 2 mos.from Paris to N.France,and really hate to commit to another next yr.so soon,but know the rooms we like sell out.Love d our last one, but Budapest to Bucharest not that pretty cruising either.

Would you recommend this,have been to Amsterdam a few times,but never other ports.

I reviewed it for our cruise on AmaReina last April. We had great weather most every day and went in early April. Yes, the scenery is not pretty and quite industrial.

We are presently on the River Queen doing the tulips and windmill cruise. Saw and toured the Maria Theresa a few days ago. Wow !

I'll answer your questions after we get home and take some time to review our trip and photos to remember what was where.....information overload right now.

The scenery isn't the greatest however for the most part our cruising was at night. Exceptions were a short leg into Kinderdyke, a longish leg from Enkuisen to Amsterdam on the Ijsellmeer and Markermeer, and out of Rotterdam. Between the modern architecture and the huge port facilities and dry dock Rotterdam was quite interesting, and well worth seeing.

I think I just posted along the way.... instead of a member review. We sailed on the inaugural sailing for this itinerary. We actually went quite early - in March - as it was the only sailing that year (am guessing they wanted to see how it went before committing to multiple dates....) - and had pretty good weather.

BEST CD we have ever had on any of our cruises. The Keukenhof was one of my bucket list items - and I was not disappointed.

Loved Antwerp - and Bruges.... Spent a couple of days ahead in Amsterdam - and feel I would like to go back again. Very glad we did that itinerary.

The only disappointment was that Kinderdyke was only a sail by.... but, we did know that going in.

Fran

Edited by franski

I am on that cruise right now (we are docked in Ghent today). We did the Nuenen footsteps of Van Gogh walk and it was very good. Those who went to the Liberation museum enjoyed it very much too. If you have never been to Bruges go there. We have so we are doing the Ghent walking tour.

We did this itinerary with Scenic. My thoughts:

Brugges over Ghent.... (our guide wasn't great, so didn't enjoy Ghent all that much...)

Antwerp is a great place to wander around. If you have time, walk the St. Anna Tunnel --> it is a pedestrian tunnel UNDER the river, and gives you the opportunity to see the city from the other side. The escalators are quite unique - a smaller version of the ones in the Moscow subway.

We enjoyed the Delta works. Doubt I would need to see it again - but the engineering work that went into it is quite amazing.

Fran

We also did the walk thru the tunnel to the other side. Our guide told us about the tunnel, and my husband was determined to do it. It was amazing. We got some great photos from the other side of the ship and of the city.

We also enjoyed the Delta Works. Quite an engineering feat.

Becki

eyeu, Rick

In answer to your questions about what to do....it all depends on your own interests and comfort level on exploring on your own. In Antwerp you could actually cover both options by going on the 'do as the locals do' with the guide and then set out on your own in the afternoon to see the church....ask your tour guide first thing in the morning about getting a pass to get into the church later in the day, or just pay the admission on your own. It is withing walking distance of the ship.

We picked Bruge over Ghent. It's a picture postcard sort of place, just hope for better weather than what we had.

One of us did the National Liberation Museum while the other walked in van Gogh's footsteps. Both were good, however felt as if not enough time was spent in Nuenen with van Gogh...more time spent traveling on the bus than seeing the sights.

Keukenhof gardens are not to be missed

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer them.

Have a great time!

Really appreciate your reply ritabob!!!

Every bit adds to decision making..and since time is so limited...your input really helps!!

Leave in just 2 weeks!!! thanks

Rick

Just wondered. since we have 9 days to go, how do the tulips look?

Any updates? thanks..

Rick

Rick: Go to TulipsinHolland.com they give a weekly update. Right now the hyacinths are in bloom and by the time you get there tulips should be in top form.. We were there the same time and it was spectacular. When you're flying out of Amsterdam try to get a window seat....you can see the tulip fields from the plane and it's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!

We are currently on this sailings on the Viking Ingvi. Our first river sailing. Hasn't started off too well but hopefully things will get better. They have us docked outside of Amsterdam in an industrial area with front loaders driving by full of cocoa beans. Not too scenic. Then during our first night there were electrical issues several times that awakened us (emergency lights would come on and then when the electricity came back on the tv would light up and go through a reboot process) a few times. Consequently, I'm starting this trip with some major jet lag. Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most is the attitude of the reception host. He seems put out to assist me in a purchase. Service industries should realize that employees attitudes go a far way to smooth things over or to add to discontent. My rant, hopefully, for the trip. Determined to have a good time. A nap this afternoon will help. Thanks for listening. :)